Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-21-2021, 07:55 PM

Default Classic hunting rifles - European vs American

Recently I've thought I might want to start a small collection of vintage classic hunting rifles. They wouldn't be "safe queens" as I would intend to shoot/hunt with them on occasion.

I have (and am very familiar with) several modern hunting rifles, but I'm a history buff of sorts and can appreciate a vintage rifle - although I'm far from an expert being far too young to have experienced the original "heyday" of these rifles.

I'd like to tap into the "hive of experience" here regarding European vs American rifles that might fall into this category. Would you focus on European rifles or American rifles of the period?

Looking at classic hunting rifles (let's say from the 1950's onward) - Husqvarna 1600, early Sakos, FN Mauser, Schultz and Larsen, etc. vs Winchester/Remington/Weatherby/etc.

What would your leaning be around general material quality, fit and finish, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:08 PM

I think the early Tikkas (model 55 and 65) before Sako got involved, are VERY hard to beat, for a production rifle.

I have a number of them and they quality is top notch, actions and triggers equivalent to aftermarket products today, incredibly accurate...the list goes on.

The M595 and 695 pretty much fall into this category as well, certainly a step us from the current T3's. (which are also one of the best for the money)
Old 03-21-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckchaser View Post
Recently I've thought I might want to start a small collection of vintage classic hunting rifles. They wouldn't be "safe queens" as I would intend to shoot/hunt with them on occasion.

I have (and am very familiar with) several modern hunting rifles, but I'm a history buff of sorts and can appreciate a vintage rifle - although I'm far from an expert being far too young to have experienced the original "heyday" of these rifles.

I'd like to tap into the "hive of experience" here regarding European vs American rifles that might fall into this category. Would you focus on European rifles or American rifles of the period?

Looking at classic hunting rifles (let's say from the 1950's onward) - Husqvarna 1600, early Sakos, FN Mauser, Schultz and Larsen, etc. vs Winchester/Remington/Weatherby/etc.

What would your leaning be around general material quality, fit and finish, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
For myself, I chose to stay primarily with the post WWII European offerings like Husqvarna/Carl Gustav, Voere, Sako, Krico, Mauser, Brno and BSA Monarchs. I also have a few by Rem, Winchester, Browning and Mossberg. I think European builds offer much better quality overall.. design, fit, finish, and materials.They've been designing and building rifles and designing cartridges for a loong time.
Lots of different chamberings available for most of them and factory ammo is available. All of mine are in the hunting category. Some have been re-barreled and re-chambered.
If you like a certain piece, buy it and build your collection from there. The trick these days is to find on older rifle in mint condition, but they are out there.
As a matter of fact, there is an older original Tikka listed in Buy/sell on here right now.

Have fun.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:07 PM
Banned

I’d like to get an old classic double rifle
Old 03-22-2021, 12:11 AM

Does a Ross or an Epps qualify?
Old 03-22-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Does a Ross or an Epps qualify?
I would say yes, as would a Lee Speed civilian rifle or one done by one of the custom builders like Dunlap or Ackley .
Among the clasdics I consider my favorites , the original 1885's and the Mannlicher Schoenaurs ate right up there.
Cat
Old 04-08-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckchaser View Post

Thanks in advance.
You’re a man after my own heart.
I like Mausers, older Brno’s and especially Mannlicher Shönauer rifles and carbines.
I’ve never really understood why people seem to think the mod70 was all that great, compared to the Brno 21/22 for example.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:26 AM

Default collectors

I have a "fair" collection of both european and american.
With the exception of the Winchester Model 70, most of the american are push feed guns, which I really have no issue with, but still prefer the controlled round feed. The Pre-64 Model 70's are some of the smoothest actions you will ever find on a firearm, but most collectors realize this and they generally command a pretty good premium.
You never really stated "action", but I will assume you are thinking more bolt action?
In the "non-bolt" categories, I have many vintage double guns, drillings, and single shot rifles that are all top-notch guns. pretty much all of these are european. In their own right, european guns of any type are hard to beat. As previously mentioned, the sako's, Tika, voere, Schultz and Larsen, etc. extremely well made. The newer rifles (I have really been bitten with the "straight-pull" guns), like the blaser and merkel helix are amazing pieces of firearm technology.
Lever action guns are another world all of their own, with the Winchesters being the top of the heap. You can empty a bank account in a real hurry with just a few vintage guns. An original '95 in 405 win will set you back 4-10,000 based on condition and options. There is currently a pair of 1876 NWMP issued rifles on I-collector auction sight sitting at over 10,000.00 with a few days left to bid if interested!
Old 04-08-2021, 09:58 AM

The model 70 had a great publicist in Jack O'Connor. He sold a lot of guns for Winchester.

After 1964 he was critical but came around and later in life admitted the post '64 model 70's were good rifles.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:28 PM

I think you’d do well to have a Remington 721 as well as a pre 64 M70 Winchester in your collection
Old 04-08-2021, 06:16 PM

I have 3 pre war Winchester mod 70ts 1937 257 Roberts, a 1938 220 swift and a 1946 270 with pre war safety. and a tikka m65 in a 7 mm rem mag. They all shoot like a dream. Love the old stuff. Phil.