Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-01-2021, 11:16 AM
Banned

Default What tape number at 285 FPS

I know a lot goes in to tapes. I’m running an Axcel xp sight. Ritual35 at 63.4# and 27.5” mods at 75%. Sight is mounted on lower riser holes and sight body mounted on high test holes to bar. ( lower the sight housing means more distance) my arrows are center arrow right above center berger hole. All calculations and chrono says 285 fps(3D rig) edge of scope is 4.5” from edge of riser. Pin to center peep is 28” and center peep to center arrow is 3.75”. Seems like an awful low sight tape for this setup. Running a #10 tape. What’s some of you guys tape number at 280-290 FPS?
Old 04-01-2021, 11:29 AM

I shoot in all my marks, use painters masking tape and shoot in 10 yard increments to as far as you can (60 yards minimum). Remove the tape and match the proper sight tape. It’s the only way to be accurate... peep height/anchor/DL all come into factor when shooting/selecting a tape. You can’t use speed alone. I’m an empirical proof in the pudding guy when it comes to setting up/sighting a bow.

LC
Old 04-02-2021, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I shoot in all my marks, use painters masking tape and shoot in 10 yard increments to as far as you can (60 yards minimum). Remove the tape and match the proper sight tape. It’s the only way to be accurate... peep height/anchor/DL all come into factor when shooting/selecting a tape. You can’t use speed alone. I’m an empirical proof in the pudding guy when it comes to setting up/sighting a bow.

LC
What lefty states is 100% correct.I used the same method to set my sight tape up.speed will not be accurate to the tape it’s matched too..
Old 05-06-2021, 09:51 PM

I use a piece of masking tape to start with my 5 pin Ascent Verdict. I used the bottom pin and dial it up to 20. Once that is perfect I make a mark on the tape. I them dial the same pin down until I get 60 perfect. I then take calipers and measure the distance between the 20 and 60 yard marks (use a fine tip pen). Take the calipers and find that exact same measurement on your sight tapes. My speed is 269 fps and I use the 276 fps sight tape perfectly out to 105 yards.