Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2021, 10:54 PM

Default Mid size atvs

Looking at an atv this year. Don’t need or want a high displacement machine and want to stay with something in the 400-500 range. Have really been interested in the Yamaha Kodiak 450eps. On the other hand for the price point I’ve been hearing a lot of CFMoto. Definitely a heavier machine but the extras you get like a factory installed winch, alloy rims, Bosch fuel injection, ctech transmission and longer than a 6 month warranty etc...all at a lower price point are hard bat an eye at. Talked to a local dealer who sells both Yammy and CFMoto and he said they sell more CFMotos because of the price and extras. Isn’t really much online about reliability of the CFMoto. Has anyone here had experience with them? Not interested in Cat Polaris Can Am or Hondas. Pretty much at this point it’s CFMoto for the price point or the Kodiak for the name it has behind it. I’m not afraid of trying something new as I’ve tried a lot of lesser known products and been happy with them. Just nothing in the 5-7000$ range.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:51 AM

I have a 2005 Yam Kodiak 450 that I bought new and it never had a winch on it. After a couple of trips where I needed to winch out of a old creek bottom or flip over backwards I had a warn winch installed. years later I needed a new winch and the best price I found was at Bass Pro.
It is the old carb job and has never let me down. Buddy is always saying with his fuel injection he never needs to use the choke to start it but for me it is no big deal.
The biggest issue I have had is with going through rear axle bearings.
Seems to me the rear axle bearing/seals are to small for the size of the tires. Also I seem to go through lots of mud so that is hard on them.
I also had to change out the front tie rods as I had one pop off on me. Was able to hammer it back on to get home
I like the diff lock. Push the magic button and the two front wheels lock up. I have heard that they took the diff lock off some of the new machines. For me having a diff lock would be a deal breaker,
Old 04-08-2021, 08:00 AM

I have owned a honda 450 foreman since 2001. also have a 400 foreman . Not the fastest but get me where i want. Easy maintain and starts easy even in winter. The electric shift can be finicky but take it apart clean it and put in some different grease its smooth as silk!!
Old 04-08-2021, 08:30 AM

I have never used a CFMoto, in fact have barely heard of them. I do know that when I am 20 miles back from the road I value reliability above all else and I will pay extra to get it. The Yamahas we have run have been great machines, My brother is still running a carb version of the Kodiak with manual shift. Great rig, nothing but oil changes and tires. It doesn't take long to eat up the price difference in repair bills. If it matters, resale on the Yamaha will be a bunch easier, as would finding parts if you ever needed them. My final reason to not buy CFMoto is they are made in China and I refuse to buy anything made in China if I can possibly avoid it.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
I have owned a honda 450 foreman since 2001. also have a 400 foreman . Not the fastest but get me where i want. Easy maintain and starts easy even in winter. The electric shift can be finicky but take it apart clean it and put in some different grease its smooth as silk!!
And, being a Honda . . . it doesn't have a belt!

"Belts are for holding your pants up" . . .
Old 04-08-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Lice View Post
And, being a Honda . . . it doesn't have a belt!

"Belts are for holding your pants up" . . .

Guys, try to stick to what the OP asked. He SPECIFICALLY said he wasn't interested in Honda. So even though I think they are the best ATV for hunting and back country use there is little point in discussing that if the OP doesn't want one for whatever reason. Try to stick to CFMotto and Yamaha Kodiak in order to help him out.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Guys, try to stick to what the OP asked. He SPECIFICALLY said he wasn't interested in Honda. So even though I think they are the best ATV for hunting and back country use there is little point in discussing that if the OP doesn't want one for whatever reason. Try to stick to CFMotto and Yamaha Kodiak in order to help him out.
Thanks Dean! I’m not worried about any thing on the Yamaha. More or less just curious about CFMoto if anyone’s used them and what their reliability is like because of the huge price difference and upgrades.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:23 PM

If you’re talking quad boxes I really like the kimpex one with the foot rests. Makes riding much more comfortable for the person sitting there.

No issues in the 14 years this machine has been around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk