Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 08:36 PM

Default Time for a rod upgrade

So, my last 2 $30-$50 rods from Canadian Tire have snapped, you know, the tip with the last eyelet on has snapped off. Not because I've caught a fish, because I was changing a hook or adding bait.

So now I think it's time for an upgrade. My wife and I are going to Bass Pro on Saturday and it's new rod time. Anybody have any recommendations for reasonably priced rod/reel combos? Do you think I should keep the Canadian Tire reel and just spend all my money on a rod? Why am I told to touch elbows instead of shaking hands, then also told to sneeze and cough into my elbow? Are there any fish in Glenmore resevoir?

Thanks for reading

My name is Max
Old 09-25-2020, 07:30 AM

Go ugly stix..

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2020, 08:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Go ugly stix..

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
yup and throw the reel on it good to go.....I have seen these rods take a eating and still keep on going....my wife has caught literally 100's of lakers, walleye and pike with hers....in some cases I would say she is a little light for the fish but it works fine....no issues to date ohhh and wont break the bank account too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-25-2020, 08:38 AM

The more you pay for a rod the easier it seems to break.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:19 AM

Ugly stick it is! Bonus that you can buy one at Canadian Tire.

See you all at Glenmore tonight. I'll be the one with a brand new ugly stick and no fish

Have a good weekend
Old 09-25-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
Ugly stick it is! Bonus that you can buy one at Canadian Tire.

See you all at Glenmore tonight. I'll be the one with a brand new ugly stick and no fish

Have a good weekend
I'd strongly recommend not buying an Ugly Stik combo. The reels are quite poor.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:59 AM

I needed a new rod this season - got Fenwick HMX 9 from Cabellas and could not be happier. Handled hundreds of pike in Meadow Lake provincial park and 29 inch walleye with ease. Would recommend!
Old 09-25-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
yup and throw the reel on it good to go.....I have seen these rods take a eating and still keep on going....my wife has caught literally 100's of lakers, walleye and pike with hers....in some cases I would say she is a little light for the fish but it works fine....no issues to date ohhh and wont break the bank account too
That’s the beauty of being a bit light 58... most of those lakers hang down where there are no obstructions so with a little patience a lighter rod works just fine. And adds fun.
Guiding in the far north and with the stories the American fishermen read about the monsters up there, I wish I’d taken pictures over the years of some of the super sized gear people show up with. Amazing.

Osky
Old 09-29-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I agree with these guys. And not trying to be rude but if youre snapping them from changing bait etc its because you arent overly careful with your rods and doubling them over back towards the handle. Most rods cant take that sort of strain, high price or low price. So then i would really recomended the ugly stik being fiberglass will have alot of forgiveness. My grandpa absolutely treats his rods like crap, including doing what youre doing and his is still perfectly fine.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
So, my last 2 $30-$50 rods from Canadian Tire have snapped, you know, the tip with the last eyelet on has snapped off. Not because I've caught a fish, because I was changing a hook or adding bait.

So now I think it's time for an upgrade. My wife and I are going to Bass Pro on Saturday and it's new rod time. Anybody have any recommendations for reasonably priced rod/reel combos? Do you think I should keep the Canadian Tire reel and just spend all my money on a rod? Why am I told to touch elbows instead of shaking hands, then also told to sneeze and cough into my elbow? Are there any fish in Glenmore resevoir?

Thanks for reading

My name is Max
If you're worried about durability, buy an Ugly Stik. Look for a GX2 or Elite, and pair it with a Pflueger President reel. I normally avoid buying combos.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:48 PM

Default Time for a rod upgrade

I have a couple ugly stick elites from my early days. Hung onto them for times when my son has a couple buddies that never fish but want to try it. I can hand them these spares and they go have a good time. I really don’t care what they do with them and I don’t end up stressing like I would with my high end stuff. They will still catch a few fish and have a good time.

OP, if you are breaking rods that often you need to have a look at how you are using them. I can’t remember the last rod I broke and I fish quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors