Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2021, 06:14 PM

Default Lowrance Elite FS and Lowrance App

K...looking for someone with some knowledge of this. Everytime I try and go through the registration program and add my device to the app...it crashes right after I scan the provided QR code...using an S10+...any ideas?
Old 04-13-2021, 05:54 AM

Well....in case anyone else has this issue, I found the answer. Apparently the registration app that comes up when you first turn on the unit is just broken...Its being worked on but the fix is to just ignore it. Not ideal but the app (Lowrance Link) which is a separate app that lets you view and operate the unit remotely via a phone or tablet on does work. I played with that after I called Lowrance and they explained it was two separate APPS and it was pretty slick to be able to view the screen, and have full use of the unit from my phone. Will be very handy jigging from the bow or off the swim platform and keep an eye on whats going on without having to install other hardware.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:54 AM

That would very handy for sure. Space on a boat is limited as it is. Running two or more units isn’t ideal. And these units aren’t cheap.

I do see more phones being donated to the bottom of the lake however. Wonder if a guy could get a “life jacket” for a cell phone?
Old 04-13-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
That would very handy for sure. Space on a boat is limited as it is. Running two or more units isn’t ideal. And these units aren’t cheap.

I do see more phones being donated to the bottom of the lake however. Wonder if a guy could get a “life jacket” for a cell phone?

My bro has two Lowrance units on his boat. I forget what model the main (dash) unit is but it's big and lovely and has the side scan sonar and GPS etc.

The other one is an older HDS-5 (with no GPS) wired into the transducer on his bow mounted trolling motor and is mounted on the gunnel beside the bow mount where he can easily see it from the chair on the casting deck. He has them networked together so they share data.

After years of only having the dash mounted unit he's VERY pleased with the new setup and if you asked him or me, we'd say it is ideal.

No, it's not cheap and as you can tell from my post, he built this up over time. He started with the HDS-5 (no GPS). Then he got a killer deal on an HDS-5 with GPS and sold me his old non-GPS unit complete with brand new transducer as the GPS unit plugged right into the non GPS cable already installed in his boat.

When he upgraded to the better unit (again, I forget which model and again, he waited until he got a killer deal) he traded me the nonGPS unit and some $$$ for the HDS-5 with the GPS. His new Lowrance uses a different transducer (side scan right) so he did have to redo that. Then he mounted the HDS-5 bracket on the bow and connected it to the motor transducer.

What's great is, I can plug my HDS-5 into his bow mount and we can share data. Two years back we went on a fishing trip together to a new to both of us lake in SK. I brought my head along and he plugged it in on the bow and we both ended up with waypoints for that lake.

As for a lifejacket for a phone I would check with "Otterbox" If they don't make one, suggest it.....maybe you'll get a freebie or two for giving them an excellent idea. God know's it ain't just fishermen dropping phones in the water........look at all the people out wakeboarding and skiiing and swimming and drinking........LOL
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 04-13-2021, 05:56 PM

I just clip a lanyard to my otter box...simple and effective...just in case the Holy 30lber grabs a line while my pone is in my hand and S##t goes flying everywhere...lol