Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-27-2021, 03:17 PM

Default Hand loads for 6.5 Grendel....

Asking for a friend.... Ruger American Ranch with 16” barrel, new owner said shoots pretty good with Hornady Black 123g ELDM. What would those of you who reload suggest for TTSx bullets or Nosler partitions in the 120g.
j
Old 03-27-2021, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
Asking for a friend.... Ruger American Ranch with 16” barrel, new owner said shoots pretty good with Hornady Black 123g ELDM. What would those of you who reload suggest for TTSx bullets or Nosler partitions in the 120g.
j
I hope it’s 18.5” or stinky just sold you a restricted rifle you can’t take hunting
Old 03-27-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I hope it’s 18.5” or stinky just sold you a restricted rifle you can’t take hunting
Your advice Sounds strange most of them have 16.38” barrels and not restricted.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:54 PM
Banned

Updated nov 2020

Might be new trudeau rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:

Updated nov 2020

Might be new trudeau rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No the ruger he has or a 32 win trapper 16” barrel are not restricted unless you put a folding stock on it.

Have a look at Prophet River site - they have quite a few BOLT action 16.38” barrel models for sale - not restricted
Old 03-28-2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K45 View Post
Your advice Sounds strange most of them have 16.38” barrels and not restricted.
From Ruger :

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/36926.html

16.10 " Factory Lenght
Old 03-28-2021, 01:02 AM
Banned

This is just what the rcmp website says. The definition of restricted seems to have changed a lot
Old 03-28-2021, 01:42 AM

Quote:
This is just what the rcmp website says. The definition of restricted seems to have changed a lot
Changed and will no doubt change more that the folks in Quebec will not entertain more photo ops with what’shisname.....

I’d not think it is restricted as it came from Prophet River, (new) a few days ago and has 16.1” barrel my buddy said.

J
Old 03-28-2021, 08:13 AM

Manual action rifles, bolt action in this case can have a barrel under 18" and be non restricted as long as;

1. It wasn't cut below 18" (it has to come that way from the factory or it was a replacement barrel manufactured to that length from the beginning)
2. The firearms overall length is not below 26"

So there's no issue with the Ruger American Ranch's with a 16" barrel because it came that way from the factory. If you had a 18" model, and cut it to 16" that would be a problem though. It's the same with pump shotguns. You can buy a Grizzly with a 12" barrel and it's non restricted, but if you cut your 28" 870 barrel to 12" you're going to have a bad time.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
j
If it shoots well with the 123gr ELDM's he may want to consider the 123gr SST as it's very close in construction to the ELDM, but with a cannelure. Otherwise there's a 125 and 100 grain Nosler partition, personally I would probably go with the 125gr because of the higher BC and you can probably still get decent velocity with that weight.

IMR 8202 XBR is the most popular extruded powder, but not recommended for projectiles over the 123-125gr range...it's more suited for the lighter weight bullets in the 90 - 125gr range, and you will also run in to case capacity issues the heavier > 125gr projectiles and extruded powder.

I had decent groups with Alliant AR Comp powder for 129gr Nosler ABLR and 130gr Sierra Gamechangers, although AR Comp is a little harder to find in Canada. Leverevolution, CFE223 (ball powders) offer better velocities but I haven't personally used them.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly85 View Post
Manual action rifles, bolt action in this case can have a barrel under 18" and be non restricted as long as;

1. It wasn't cut below 18" (it has to come that way from the factory or it was a replacement barrel manufactured to that length from the beginning)
2. The firearms overall length is not below 26"

So there's no issue with the Ruger American Ranch's with a 16" barrel because it came that way from the factory. If you had a 18" model, and cut it to 16" that would be a problem though. It's the same with pump shotguns. You can buy a Grizzly with a 12" barrel and it's non restricted, but if you cut your 28" 870 barrel to 12" you're going to have a bad time.
That’s what I thought the rule was
But it doesn’t say that on the rcmp web page
Not being able to find the correct information is probably done on purpose
Old 03-28-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly85 View Post
If it shoots well with the 123gr ELDM's he may want to consider the 123gr SST as it's very close in construction to the ELDM, but with a cannelure. Otherwise there's a 125 and 100 grain Nosler partition, personally I would probably go with the 125gr because of the higher BC and you can probably still get decent velocity with that weight.

IMR 8202 XBR is the most popular extruded powder, but not recommended for projectiles over the 123-125gr range...it's more suited for the lighter weight bullets in the 90 - 125gr range, and you will also run in to case capacity issues the heavier > 125gr projectiles and extruded powder.

I had decent groups with Alliant AR Comp powder for 129gr Nosler ABLR and 130gr Sierra Gamechangers, although AR Comp is a little harder to find in Canada. Leverevolution, CFE223 (ball powders) offer better velocities but I haven't personally used them.
Thanks for the clarification Anomaly85 and your insights on powder and bullets.
100m groups off bench, with good support is about 1.5” or less with 123 ELDMs. We tried 123 SSTs and groups opened up significantly. Now to be fair the glass that’s on it, will be replaced with much better quality in the near future.

Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:34 PM

Loading for a Grendel is a waste of time, just throw the bullets, same killing power.

In all seriousness, I would go with the lighter, 100 grain, Barnes TTSX. You will get enough extra velocity to offset the difference in B.C. at least to 400 yards. If you are going to try and hunt it at longer ranges, then the higher B.C., higher SD bullets will be a better option.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:23 AM

My Howa has done very well with 120gr bullets and IMR 8202 XBR.

AR Comp is apparently a good one too. I think there are many decent powders that would work in the Grendel in that 335/benchmark/8208 burn range

With 90-100gr bullets it does well with Benchmark.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
well hey looks like i can come out of the corner now, barnes has a factory load out with 115 gr ttsx tac-tx which are designed for the short barrel suppressed slower velocity range of the grendel AR's with 12" barrels etc. so i believe they open up around 1400 fps, they started this 'tac-tx' line for the 300 blackout, so that 115 gr ttsx would be one to look at also for the grendel reloading, i've been watching for field/gel reports on that bullet but nothing pulled from hogs or gel yet to see what they're like, one outfit killed about 80 hogs but they were just controlling and no one did a necropsy which is too bad as that would have been a great sample to get a few recovered of these new 115's
Thanks Stinky Coyote.. will try to track some of these down.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
well hey looks like i can come out of the corner now, barnes has a factory load out with 115 gr ttsx tac-tx which are designed for the short barrel suppressed slower velocity range of the grendel AR's with 12" barrels etc. so i believe they open up around 1400 fps, they started this 'tac-tx' line for the 300 blackout, so that 115 gr ttsx would be one to look at also for the grendel reloading, i've been watching for field/gel reports on that bullet but nothing pulled from hogs or gel yet to see what they're like, one outfit killed about 80 hogs but they were just controlling and no one did a necropsy which is too bad as that would have been a great sample to get a few recovered of these new 115's
Buh bye Stinky
Old 04-13-2021, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Buh bye Stinky
What did he do now lol
Old 04-13-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
What did he do now lol
His love affair and evangelical zeal for the 6.5 was extreme but I sure didn't think it deserved being banned for it.

The rate this place is banning long term, active members, in this case a 13 year member with over 5000 posts seems weird. Member participation is already showing a big decline. What happened to warnings and suspensions.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-13-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
His love affair and evangelical zeal for the 6.5 was extreme but I sure didn't think it deserved being banned for it.

The rate this place is banning long term, active members, in this case a 13 year member with over 5000 posts seems weird. Member participation is already showing a big decline. What happened to warnings and suspensions.
I have a feeling it had more to do with multiple accounts or something like that .
His last post was actually pretty informative and sane
Cat
Old 04-13-2021, 04:32 PM

Out of curiosity, I had a look at Stinky's posting activity. He was a prolific poster on the Covid and Political threads, neither of which I look at very often. I assume any really egregious posts would have been deleted but based on the ones that remain visible I now have no trouble seeing why he got banned. Too bad so many guys get that heated. It's not like anything u say is actually going to change anyone's mind or any of the outcomes. It really is just recreational bitching. Still sorry to see him gone, but it was self inflicted.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Out of curiosity, I had a look at Stinky's posting activity. He was a prolific poster on the Covid and Political threads, neither of which I look at very often. I assume any really egregious posts would have been deleted but based on the ones that remain visible I now have no trouble seeing why he got banned. Too bad so many guys get that heated. It's not like anything u say is actually going to change anyone's mind or any of the outcomes. It really is just recreational bitching. Still sorry to see him gone, but it was self inflicted.
I'm pretty sure he got told to stop with the Qanon theory stuff. First thing he did when he got back was start posting that again, it has been removed. Nothing to do with Grendal I'm sure. He was just as single minded with that as he was with the Grendal stuff. I don't think he could turn his mind off.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-14-2021, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'm pretty sure he got told to stop with the Qanon theory stuff. First thing he did when he got back was start posting that again, it has been removed. Nothing to do with Grendal I'm sure. He was just as single minded with that as he was with the Grendal stuff. I don't think he could turn his mind off.
He was definitely passionate about what he believed in