Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 03:15 PM

Default Dog got caught in a snare today pheasant hunting.

Thankfully I had bought a couple of cable cutters for my brother and I. He was able to free her after he located her. Took about 45 seconds to get to her, thankfully it was not a ram set. I am more than a little upset, prime pheasant country. As far as I am concerned it should be illegal to set up snares before Dec. 1 in the south. Rant over.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-16-2016, 03:44 PM

I'm glad the dog is ok; good thinking on the wire cutters
Old 11-16-2016, 03:48 PM

I agree with you. I have zero issue with people wanting to snare coyotes, but I really don't enjoy the thought of legally hunting with my hounds and worrying about losing a hound to a snare. For birds, the Dec timeframe makes sense, for hounds not so much. I wish that there were a handful of dog-only hunting lands, though I'm sure people will flame me for the suggestion.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:56 PM

Good to hear the dog is ok. Agree that snaring shouldn't be aloud on public lands until December 1.

I too carry a good set of wire cutters.

BW
Old 11-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Banned

So very glad that your dog is unharmed pikergolf. Good thing that you had the right tool.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:07 PM

Hopefully I never have to use them, but I purchased a set of cable cutters from Acklands just in case. Normal side cutters and the standard wire cutters built into linesman's pliers are pretty much useless for cutting steel cable.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:36 PM
Banned

Default What area ....

I'm carrying so many tools I'm falling over .....I bought cable cutters
This year as well ......just wondering if that was a legal set ....
PM me if you like I'm heading down south of Magrath for a few days next week
Old 11-17-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Hopefully I never have to use them, but I purchased a set of cable cutters from Acklands just in case. Normal side cutters and the standard wire cutters built into linesman's pliers are pretty much useless for cutting steel cable.
I would think your pretty safe where you hunt.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Thankfully I had bought a couple of cable cutters for my brother and I. He was able to free her after he located her. Took about 45 seconds to get to her, thankfully it was not a ram set. I am more than a little upset, prime pheasant country. As far as I am concerned it should be illegal to set up snares before Dec. 1 in the south. Rant over.
This is why I wonder why they extended the bird season last year....I am pretty sure a few of us brought up hunters pups being in danger.

LC
Old 11-16-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is why I wonder why they extended the bird season last year....I am pretty sure a few of us brought up hunters pups being in danger.

LC
The season is only extended in areas where they don't expect them to make the winter. In the south with it's wild birds it is close Nov. 30.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-16-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
The season is only extended in areas where they don't expect them to make the winter. In the south with it's wild birds it is close Nov. 30.
Pretty sure he grouse season is extended in those zones as well?

Good reminder to everyone that there is more than one activity going on at any given time.

LC
Old 11-16-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
As far as I am concerned it should be illegal to set up snares before Dec. 1 in the south. Rant over.
As far as I am concerned it should be illegal to hunt pheasant until after DEC .1 just saying
Old 11-17-2016, 01:05 PM

Default Where?

Can you share roughly where this took place to that others don't encounter?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2016, 01:07 PM

It took place in the Med Hat area. Not sure the area helps as this could happen anywhere.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
It took place in the Med Hat area. Not sure the area helps as this could happen anywhere.
I think that it was prudent of you to carry cutters with you if you are taking your dog into an area that is known to be heavily snared for coyotes.

"Thinking about the up coming bird season. Hutterites around here are big into snaring coyotes. Looking for cable cutters to protect the dogs, will either of these two work for a one time application? Thanks."

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=wire+cutters
Old 11-19-2016, 08:53 AM

Re:requiring warning signs.....no thanks!!
Trapline theft of equipment and fur is a never ending battle.
I haven't trapped in some time now,but did for 20-ish years in my younger days.
I often went to great lengths to be stealthy/not leave tracks/actually choose not to set in best location at times because of too high risk of theft and look for less productive but safer locations......not a chance in hell that I'd support advertising my sets for every thief in the country to find,lose enough damn gear,fur,and money to thieves as it is.
And fwiw......you really don't need wire cutters to free a snared pooch 99% of time,locks can be backed off by hand easily enough,and if it's too tight and kinked for that,you're too late anyhow.

Also fwiw,I'm far from being a dog hater,quite the opposite in fact,have owned both bird dogs and hounds throughout most of my life.
Also from experience,having snared a few domestic dogs in my day,if they are accustomed to being on a chain or leash they quite often/usually won't struggle and choke out,rather they'll often just sit patiently waiting to be freed.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:06 AM

I think that signs would be a collosal waste of time , for one , dogs don't read.
A sign isn't going to help you get a dog out of s share it trap .
Common sense and a good set of bypas cutters will however .
I have said this before , there are far more prevelant dangers out there fir bird dogs and hounds than snares
Cat
Old 11-19-2016, 03:20 PM

Default Snares

If someone cuts my snare, I want $50 for the coyote that snare would have caught. It took time and money to set that snare. If I cause a reduction in someones income, I should make it right.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
If someone cuts my snare, I want $50 for the coyote that snare would have caught. It took time and money to set that snare. If I cause a reduction in someones income, I should make it right.
I agree but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a dog owner to say " sorry my dog wasn't under my control and wound up where he wasn't supposed to be. What do I owe you?"
Not many people hold themselves accountable anymore.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I would gladly pay for the snare but certainly would not pay for anything that MAY have gotten caught in it. fro he time notified you to the time you got around to replacing it.
Cat
Old 11-20-2016, 08:04 AM

Default snare

Quote:
If I have permission to hunt on a piece of property and a dog of mine gets caught in your snare good luck....public liability is the concern not your snare placed carelessly. I hunt in Montana mainly and public signage is required and I avoid those areas.
Closed Thread