Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 PM

Default Getting the wife into achery?

Hello all,

I was just wanting some advice.

The wife is thinking that she would like to start shooting a bow.
Still doesn't know if she wants to start hunting, but here's hoping that day will come.

Questions are:

1. Suggestion on a starting bow? Is there a particular shop that anyone knows of that has a good selection of ladies bows? Or is this even an issue?

2.Anything suggestions on things that should be done or not done to help her get into this sport? I just want to make sure that she gets the best experience possible right form the start.

If there are any of our female members that could give me some insight on their personal experience when they started out, the good and bad, this would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jacobin
Old 08-21-2011, 07:42 PM

My wife was involved in archery in high school and wanted to get back into it. We went into the Calgary archery centre and they got her outfitted with a 45 lb Impala recurve, as she wanted a traditional sort of bow, none of that modern compound equipment like mine. I can't even convince her to put sights on it, so she has to practice alot, but enjoys it anyway. It's important she gets measured up right for draw and pull weight. Above all, have fun!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned

Default Diamond Razor Edge

Jacobin,

My wife got into shooting a year ago and we ended up buying a 60lb razor edge. The draw length adjustment ranges from 19" to 29" and the weight ranges from 29lb to 60lb. She loves it and and if she wanted to hunt with it she could. Jim-Bows Archery in Calgary has them for $399.99 for the kit.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:11 PM

pipestone creek at millit, Jim takes the time to teach and I've seen alot of girls come away smiling. My wife doesn't like stress and a bunch of people watching gets her nervous, at pipestone its a relaxed atmosphere mind you this time of year they all get hectic.
be carefull about taking her gopher shooting if a gopher goes running draging a arrow or whatever doesn't kill quickly can spoil the hunting bug in some women
Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
Jacobin,

My wife got into shooting a year ago and we ended up buying a 60lb razor edge. The draw length adjustment ranges from 19" to 29" and the weight ranges from 29lb to 60lb. She loves it and and if she wanted to hunt with it she could. Jim-Bows Archery in Calgary has them for $399.99 for the kit.
a good place to start. its a fairly nice setup....just add arrows and a release and go. i got robin one and she loves it. on her 4th night out with it she sailed an arrow over the back of a 170 inch mule buck. that was 2 years ago and she still thinks about it. seeing her put 3 arrows into a group the size of a toonie at 30 yards keeps me smiling too.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the help everyone.

I figure that I will take her out at the end of Nov. early Dec. when things start to calm down in the shops and have her shoot some bows.

Does size of bow matter as much as fit and feel?

Thanks again,

Jacobin
Old 08-23-2011, 04:44 PM

Everything matters to some extent. What matters most is the type of bow she is interested in. Compound, recurve, longbow?
What you like may not be what she likes.If you buy a bow she doesn't like the interest will die quickly.
Pete
Old 08-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Everything matters to some extent. What matters most is the type of bow she is interested in. Compound, recurve, longbow?
What you like may not be what she likes.If you buy a bow she doesn't like the interest will die quickly.
Pete
Hey Pete,

She was thinking about a compound.

But I might have her try a trad. or recurve just so that she knows how they all feel.

I know BPS has stick bows.
Anyone know off-hand of any archery shops in the Edmonton area that carry stick bows?? Does Cabela's have any?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 AM

Trophy Book has Samick's and they also started carying Chek-mate . They have some nice "Pink" Girl weight Beaver creeks from Chek-mate in stock.
Pete
Old 08-26-2011, 12:00 PM

Depending on her draw length, I would stay away from youth or "women's" bows. If she happens to not like it re-sale will be much easier. My wife shoots the same bows I do and has no problems with them. She has a 26.5" draw length though. If your wifes draw length is fairly short she may have to stick with the smaller bows. Just make sure the bow fits her and she is not overbowed poundage wise. My wife will never hunt but shooting 3D with her has been a good way to spend time together doing something we both enjoy.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:33 PM

My girlfriend was a little unsure about getting into it. I bought her a little 30lbs Sage bow by Sonic. They are cheap, only about a 150.00. It is something that would be great to start out on if she is unsure, this way your not wasting a bunch of money on something that she might not like. We were outfitted with everything including gloves, 6 arrows each and two fast flight strings for all under 400.00. Another great thing about this type of bow is the limbs for it are cheap as well so she can progress slowly to a comfortable weight before spending money on a more expensive bow. If you are interested I recommend contacting Dennis at Git-R- Done Archery. He can answer any questions you may have and wont try and sell you anything you don't need!!!

Hope the advice works.!!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 AM

Default Think she is hooked!

Just an update, and thanks again to everyone for the on-going advice and suggestions.

Happened to be down south this weekend and stopped by CAC, first time in there myself. The wife looked around and picked up a few bows to feel the weight difference in some of them, and to get a feel for them.
Place was fairly busy and lots of people on the range so she was a little intimidated and didn't want to try shooting. Which was fine by me, rather take it slow at first.

She did however find camo that she loved.

After that we ended up at BPS, was now looking for ladies specific camo.

While we were there, Cal was at the counter and not busy, and I was looking at stands. Next thing I know she is getting ready to go into the range to shoot a Diamond bow. So go in there and the first three arrows she shoots she puts them within about a 3" circle.
Well, now she is hooked and cannot wait to get a bow of her own, even has a name picked out for it.
I may have created a monster, but I also think I have just got myself a new hunting partner!

Still looking to get her out testing more bows, but I now cannot wait for next years bow season.

Jacobin
Old 09-02-2011, 05:43 PM

Awesome. Mine is looking to get into it to. The Heartbreaker bow by bowtech would be my recommendation.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:45 AM

Just wanted to say smart move on the patience and taking things at her pace. In the end she's happy and you just got a new hunting partner, win win well done!

Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 PM

My girlfriend has also started showing an interest in archery as she has started to come hunting with me and got to share in my mulie buck last week!
I deal with Lane Archery in Lethbridge, its a small, quiet store and the people there are very personal and knowledgeable. They recommended the PSE Chaos. Its a light weight bow and has a nice narrow hand grip which fits my girlfriend very well and they said that they have sent quite a few women out with a Chaos and they dont leave the store until you shoot under a 2" group @ 20 yrds. Great place to deal and they will set you up from start to finish.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 PM

Depending on what her draw length is will make a big difference on what she can look for. I shoot a mathews craze. Draw Length is adjustable and poundage is from 30-70lbs. If she decides later down the line that she would like something different as long as she doesn't go with the pink one resale should be easy :-)

Good Luck and have fun!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobin View Post
I may have created a monster, but I also think I have just got myself a new hunting partner!
Man, what a wonderful predicament to be in! I hope you have lots of fun shooting/hunting together.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:11 AM

I just got my wife into archery a couple of weeks ago. What you want to do is give her the best first impression of the sport. We went down to Cabelas and had the bow techs there set her up properly for draw length and weight. Then fit her with a few types of bow and showed her the basics of technique.

We ended up getting the Diamond Razor Edge kit. They had them on sale for $329.00. We went with this one because of its weight and extreme adjustability, and it was comfortable in her hand.

She loves the bow and is really pumped about practicing.

I deal with Robert at Cabelas. Super guy with a lot of knowledge of the sport. A very good technician as well.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:34 AM

X2 on the razors edge my wife really likes hers and shoots it very well after just learning