Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Just for the record, no one shoots coyotys to save human live. They are thousands trapped, snared, shot, in Alberta every year as a renewable resourse ,a source of income, i think at present a good fur is around $100. the trappers are registered and has a licence for this activeity. A good trapper could reduce the coyotys in the problem area,why would anyone have a problem with this, its only a matter of time before some child gets hurt or worse. If its about save the yotes, not to worry they can take care of themselves.late years they have crossed the sea ice to nfld,and will slaughter the baby caribou by the thousands.
Trapping in urban areas brings risk of people/pets getting injured... not to mention legal cosequences (litigation).
Old 02-17-2018, 11:48 AM

Default Just in..

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...otes-1.3807867

As lady says, I don't want them harmed, I want them away. Move the nuisance animals into someone else's yard and there forth. Round and round the merry go we go. I learned some magic tricks, I can make them dissappear.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Trapping in urban areas brings risk of people/pets getting injured... not to mention legal cosequences (litigation).
There are ways to do it. Set snares when the temp is extremely cold and nobody is out. There were lots close to a wildlife area in the Hat. They were becoming a real problem for dog walkers. Last winter they all disappeared. I heard through the grapevine that a trapper had been brought in. Slowly this winter, as it drags along I am starting to see them again. But they are nowhere near as bold as the ones from two summers and fall ago.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-20-2018, 08:30 AM

Coyotes do pack up, I have seen it myself, and there are lots of video to show that behavior.

Coyotes have attacked and killed many pets and have attacked people.

I also live in the river valley area, here in Edmonton, not far from where that dog was killed, and see coyotes in the neighborhood all the time. They have lost their fear. They have become dangerous.

When I walk my dogs, coyotes will yip and try and lure one or both of my dogs into the bush where another 4-5 of their buddies are waiting to tear him up. You have to keep your dogs on the leash.

This is common and happens too often in the city here. Many times the news doesn't even know about it or report it.

I have seen a coyote snatch a cat in the neighborhood and happily trot back into the bush like he was shopping at a convenience store for lunch.

My wife has video of a coyote in the neighborhood, middle of the day, playing on the street and front law in a snow bank a few houses down from us. He seemed to largely ignore people, cars and anything that wasn't too close to him. You can see a person walking their dog about a half block away and the coyote looks up and toward them.

I will try and post it tonight.

This is REAL problem that is going to get much more serious soon.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
That's my concern as well - trapping or poisoning is indiscriminate and the minute someone's dog gets caught in a trap or poisoned it makes an already bad political situation worse.

Unfortunately, these coyotes need to be either killed (shot) or harassed to the point of driving them out of the area.

Edmonton has one of the largest "wild" corridors running virtually through the entire city core. Particular to the west end here where we live there are areas where the nearest roadway or home might be a km or two from some of these areas and there is plenty of room for these critters to coincide.

I get the fact that "we" (our dogs and us) have to share these wild spaces with wildlife BUT at this point these coyotes are frequenting neighborhoods, playgrounds and parks where people walk their dogs and children play.

I have seen a coyote in the park watching kids at a bus stop. He only casually trotted off only after I slowed down - certainly feeling no imminent danger from me.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have seen a coyote in the park watching kids at a bus stop. He only casually trotted off only after I slowed down - certainly feeling no imminent danger from me.
Good post, EZM.

I know I've told this on here before - but I think it bears repeating:

Coyotes followed two of my kids to school one morning, one closer, the other farther behind - my kids were unaware until they got to the school yard, where a teacher on supervision ran at the coyote, yelling.

What is remarkable is that the lead coyote stood his ground until the teacher was quite close.

We called the school to commend the teacher's actions.

It wasn't long after that, we noticed that we weren't seeing or hearing the coyotes in our neighborhood as much.

There was a movie on Netflix - "Meet the Coywolf" - which contains interesting information about the Coyote/Wolf hybrids that populate southern Ontario. Some of the infrared nighttime footage was quite interesting, showing how the coywolves were moving about, often quite near people who had no idea that they were there.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:25 PM

The two coyote attacks that I recall in Canmore were both in broad daylight. One was at a community skating party - lots of hot dogs, hot chocolate and excited kids. A coyote approached one of the little boys at the periphery of the group and nipped him before being chased away. The other was a young girl who was approached on her doorstep by a coyote - that gave her a tug. Thankfully she remained upright and the coyote was chased away by a passerby.

When I lived in Jasper there was a case of a young mother checking on her toddler playing in the fenced back yard, to see a coyote struggling to get over the fence to exit the yard - with her toddler in it's jaws. Momma bear instinct immediately kicked in and that coyote exited quickly - sans kid. If I remember correctly, the child had some abrasions - but no serious injuries.

These 3 occurrences were reported in the local papers.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
There was a movie on Netflix - "Meet the Coywolf" - which contains interesting information about the Coyote/Wolf hybrids that populate southern Ontario. Some of the infrared nighttime footage was quite interesting, showing how the coywolves were moving about, often quite near people who had no idea that they were there.
They aren’t called coywolf in Canada, Stinky. The biologists in Canada designated them a separate species called The Algonquin Wolf. The US doesn’t recognize them as a separate species and only refer to them as a coywolf hybrid.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/algonquin-wolf
Old 02-20-2018, 04:50 PM
Banned

Yotes pack up. Saw one female sitting out side yipping at my big dog "Baby I love you " Course he went over , following his pecker and 4 more charged out of the tree line and nailed him. My Dad was on the ball and shot 2 before they let dummy go. Yotes be smart. Smarter than dogs. Dangerous too.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:07 PM

Fisherpeak, that's a common scenario in farm country.

I remember reading (many years ago) about coyotes in Los Angeles and how smart they were. They waited till after the kids went to school in the morning, and then brazenly walk down the front sidewalk from house to house, on a schedule , as they knew when the housewives fed the dogs in their backyards. Chase off the dog and enjoy breakfast !
Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 AM

Around 60,000 of their brothers are being sold in the NAFA (fur auction) next week. A few of these urban ones should be snared/shot and added to the auction. They make very warm winter parkas and trapper gets around $100 for each pelt.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:10 AM

Here's another use for them (Meat Eater fans will get the reference...)

Old 02-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Banned

I was living along HWY 14 on RR203 and had a small Shizu Bichon attacked by a 'yote. IIRC, a couple thousand dollars and the dog was good to go, except the pooch had lost it's ability to bark. Sure tore up the women folk in the family.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:25 PM

Let's get attacked on a regular basis in my town, by both coyotes and wolves
Cat
Old 02-23-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
No thanks cat..... sounds like fun but getting old, not as tough and resilient as I use to be.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
DANG!!
Auto correct strikes again!!
Cat