Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM

Default White box ammo

Hello

The 1.5 inch group is not to hard to get at 100m. My H&R ultra rifle does a 1inch at 100m easy with the 45gr white box cheepy ammo and I have not got it broke in yet. I say if you like the look and feel of the gun, chances are it can shoot better than you can. Note I suck at trigger control so my tight group can probably be tighter if a friend shoots my gun.

So get what you like but if if feels bad when you are trying it at the store. It isn't going to change after you get it home. You just start spending money to change it and end up with the one you would have taken but didn't. Then you get like my friend and spend hand over fist of money to make the gun shoot better. He sold it and bought a new one to start it all over again. Just know when you are better off selling the gun and buy a new one.

Good luck

TF
Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
What bullets are you shooting at 500M? What twist? Is that Varget?

Thx
69 grain sierras with a boat load of Varget!
Cat
Old 12-28-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike_flyer View Post
Hello

The 1.5 inch group is not to hard to get at 100m. My H&R ultra rifle does a 1inch at 100m easy with the 45gr white box cheepy ammo and I have not got it broke in yet. I say if you like the look and feel of the gun, chances are it can shoot better than you can. Note I suck at trigger control so my tight group can probably be tighter if a friend shoots my gun.

So get what you like but if if feels bad when you are trying it at the store. It isn't going to change after you get it home. You just start spending money to change it and end up with the one you would have taken but didn't. Then you get like my friend and spend hand over fist of money to make the gun shoot better. He sold it and bought a new one to start it all over again. Just know when you are better off selling the gun and buy a new one.
Good luck

TF

How does your h&r work? I have considered them but I can get a savage for around the same price. Probably won't be getting one till next spring or summer ( gotta convince my dad to let me get one )
Thanks for the imput!

Good luck

TF[/QUOTE]
Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 PM

A friends's SPS Varmint turns very good groups with American Eagle 50gr JHP. I think its $13/20
Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstar View Post
How does your h&r work? I have considered them but I can get a savage for around the same price. Probably won't be getting one till next spring or summer ( gotta convince my dad to let me get one )
Thanks for the imput!
I like it. Mine was cheaper than a savage when I bought it, same one is on sale for ~$250 at wss right now. Nice compact gun with just enough weight to make it balance and swing good. Short too so you have less of a chance to catch a limb in the bush. It even looks good compared to the plastic stock guns (Yes I Like Wood For My Stock). It is of course a single shot, but I have only had the chance to take one shot at 99% of the animals I was shooting at. They usually run after the first shot so having a second is a waste. For the record, only moose have I shot more than once at (emptied the gun on it, that is five shots in the gun I was using). You can shoot both left and right hand with it and it came with the hammer extension and scope rail.

TF

Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike_flyer View Post
I like it. Mine was cheaper than a savage when I bought it, same one is on sale for ~$250 at wss right now. Nice compact gun with just enough weight to make it balance and swing good. Short too so you have less of a chance to catch a limb in the bush. It even looks good compared to the plastic stock guns (Yes I Like Wood For My Stock). It is of course a single shot, but I have only had the chance to take one shot at 99% of the animals I was shooting at. They usually run after the first shot so having a second is a waste. For the record, only moose have I shot more than once at (emptied the gun on it, that is five shots in the gun I was using). You can shoot both left and right hand with it and it came with the hammer extension and scope rail.

TF

Ok, if I found a cheap one on sale I would consider it but a bolt action would be nice because if I do take it for coyotes or gophers it would have a follow up shot if I needed it. I'll keep looking, thanks for the info!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstar View Post
I am wondering if using cheap ammo in a .223 can still get good accuracy, because I would probably look into buying a larger caliber if the ammo is the same price. It would be mostly used at a range because Im not big into hunting.
Check out MFS ammo.It is steel cased as such not reloadable but I can get 20 rds/$7.29 and it shoots a 6.5-7 inch groups at 700 yds with my savage .223
Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM
jrs

I just tried the remington UMC green box stuff, i shot 2 rounds at 300 yards last week (the only day calm enough for getting out) and was delighted to find 2 sub 3'' 3 shot groups . White box digests the same out of mine, sub 2'' at 200 yards (my usual choice). Just a stevens 223 with a 4-12 elite scope. Great to get out for some practice, hoping it cools off so some more yotes can get it.. Cheap ammo definetly gets the job done..
Old 12-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
I just tried the remington UMC green box stuff, i shot 2 rounds at 300 yards last week (the only day calm enough for getting out) and was delighted to find 2 sub 3'' 3 shot groups . White box digests the same out of mine, sub 2'' at 200 yards (my usual choice). Just a stevens 223 with a 4-12 elite scope. Great to get out for some practice, hoping it cools off so some more yotes can get it.. Cheap ammo definetly gets the job done..
Have fun coyote hunting! Sounds like .223 is the next gun I'll get. Somtime next spring I'll have to pick one up.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 PM

A couple of guys have mentioned shooting past 500 yards with their .223. Keep in mind that a lot of the factory loads have 55gr or less bullets, which are really not suitable for this purpose. ALSO, if it is your intention to shoot this far, do NOT get a .223 with a barrel twist of 1:12. You'll want a 1:9 twist, or if you intend to shoot exclusively at long range (1000 yards, give or take), a 1:7 to launch the heavies (60ish to 90ish grains). The 1:9 is a good compromise, and if I were to replace my .223, I'd look for something with that twist rate (mine is currently 1:12). Also, as was previously mentioned, you won't find too many factory loads suitable for long range shots, so reloading becomes very important at that point.