Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2023, 10:29 AM

Default Sinister 7 weekend!!! Who’s down for it?

Team is set (I’m not runnin… not trained up enough).
Keep tabs on the Website for team Walking Wounded!

That’s my boy finishing last year…. He lil beat up.

Should be a great, tiring weekend.
We got a serious dump of rain yesterday evening
And well’ll prolly get a couple more good dumps next two nights as well…. Ugh.

Running wet trails… sucks.. literally and figuratively.

Hope everyone has a good safe race! Make sure you wave to the quadders and side by side riders while you’re out there.

…. Hate them things…..
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-07-2023, 05:14 PM

Just pulled in to town. Meeting with team shortly. Should be good and wet. Also this construction sucks.
Old 07-09-2023, 01:39 PM

Finished at 6:20AM!
My boy’s laces blew up and he rolled his ankle. So we half walked the rest of course…. We 4x4d in and met him at km 20 with the intent to have me switch him out if he was really bad. He hobbled up… momma bear stuck him in the stream and he decided to continue b/c he could sort of run the flats….. so I got all dressed up fer nuffin.

Our Leg6 runner wound up shepherding in another runner whose lights stopped working.

So some stories were made.
The heat was a real factor on leg 4.

Overall great times!! Real good 24 hours worth of fun!!!

Till next time.

Oh…. Walking Wounded finished 48th

Last edited by bessiedog; 07-09-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2023, 04:34 PM

Bessie cheered em on!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-09-2023, 07:17 PM

Hey Bessie...All I gotta say about all this is...Awesome!...
Old 07-17-2023, 02:58 PM

Default Late to the Party

Hi Bessie,

I'm a little late to the party. I was at Sinister. We had a blast. Our team was a couple hours behind yours, but we deemed it a success.

I have never ran this event before and it was a blast! I ran leg 3 and it was HOT!! Overall, happy with my team, happy with my own run and definitely coming back next year.

Now on to the Death Race, doing legs 4 and 5 there. Should be a good time.

Chris
Old 07-17-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post
Hi Bessie,

I'm a little late to the party. I was at Sinister. We had a blast. Our team was a couple hours behind yours, but we deemed it a success.

I have never ran this event before and it was a blast! I ran leg 3 and it was HOT!! Overall, happy with my team, happy with my own run and definitely coming back next year.

Now on to the Death Race, doing legs 4 and 5 there. Should be a good time.

Chris
Oh man I felt bad for you guys on leg 3!! That heat was brutal and not a puff of wind. I was not looking forward to the night run of leg 5 but after sitting in that heat and watching people come into the TA between 3/4 I was happy I did it. I cramped bad at km13, was able to kinda run the downs and flats by km 20 I was solely walking. My right calf had never felt pain like that. Yesterday was my first light run back. Already told my team I want another crack at 5 next year. We were just under 26 hours. 99th. ‘40 reasons why’, captain turned 40 this year. This was my first ever and def won’t be my last, hopefully next year work won’t get in the way of training. Running 500m laps around a camp in Conklin doesn’t train you for that elevation!! I took a job in Pink Mountain so hopefully these hills will help. Hahah
Old 07-17-2023, 06:49 PM

Boys…. If you’re gonna be down next year, please PM me before and we’ll swap numbers…. Meet up at my race HQ for pre race beers.

Most of us racers are well into their 50’s with the exception of my niece (14), and my boy (18).

My training has been terrible this year…. Hopefully Blackspur will still be on
My radar.

Glad you both enjoyed it! It’s a great time.

Train hard and smart!
Old 07-18-2023, 09:49 AM

Hey Sleddawg,

You guys finished just a hair before us. We were 100th, Cow Bear Stare. Our leg 1/2 runner came in a little later than we had hoped so I got to run in the dead heat of the day. Things got a little crampy around 24kms in, but fought through it. Getting in those hills is pretty important for these runs, especially for the down hills. I go to Folding Mountain out by Hinton to do a couple repeats, that climb is intense! I'm pretty fortunate that I can bust out some long run sessions in the river valley at Devon and can usually get about 1000m elevation over 24-30kms, so the hills are decent. Its the heat that gets me.

I've managed 3 runs since Sinister, feeling pretty good. I have 55kms to do at the Death Race in August. I'm sure that'll be a grind.

Bessie, I'll be sure to reach out next year as I can pretty much guarantee that I'll be back. I plan on running legs 6/7 or 5/6/7 (depending on my team). Your leg 3 runner was fast. I thought I ran that leg pretty quick given how bad I suck at dealing with heat. Your runner was almost 30 minutes faster than me!! I hope you get to do Blackspur, that ones on my radar.

Chris
Old 07-18-2023, 11:58 AM

Well… leg 3

They call it ‘Satan’s Sack’ for a reason.

Our non-family runners are serious trail hammers. It’s a real honor to have them as friends and have them run for us every year if we need em.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:00 PM

How about that guy that ran the 50k in 4:15, absolute insanity. I think half the joy was watching the 100 milers finish, 50 milers and 50k'rs. Maybe one year I will take a crack at them.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:15 PM

Yes. Those guys are real amazing.
I crewed a good friend of mine that runs for us… he did the full solo.
Took him two tries to complete.
He went through +27 on leg three then got swatted by a massive rain/hail storm on 4.
He was done coming in from 4 and I almost got him onto 5……there’s a massive mental game that one is put through…..

My hope is to 50k either Sin7, the QC Mega trail in Quebec, or Blackspurs 50k (cause wife already did that one).

We shall see how my knee handles the fall and winter trAining.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Bessie cheered em on!

Just a reminder on how far the smart guy ran....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-19-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
How about that guy that ran the 50k in 4:15, absolute insanity. I think half the joy was watching the 100 milers finish, 50 milers and 50k'rs. Maybe one year I will take a crack at them.
Yeah that 50k time was unreal!! I've run a 50K once and I was 3 over 3 hours longer than his 4:15, just crazy!! I really tip my hat to the 100 milers, what a feat to be able to finish that. I'm hoping to do the Death Race solo (125km) in the next 2 years.

Bessie,

Good on your friend to get back at it for a second try. The QC mega trail looks like it would be amazing! I hope your knee can hold up to the training. I was having some knee issues last year. I did dry needling, acupuncture, physio, strength and changed my shoes. This year I have put on over 800kms in training since New Years and so far I've been running free of injury.

Chris