Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2015, 07:32 PM

Default Need suggestions for camping and fly fishing - Calgary area

I recently took up fly fishing and I'm officially hooked but haven't caught anything in 2 trips to the Bow within Calgary. I'm going camping mid next week and figured I'd try to get my first (and hopefully more) fish on the fly. I was thinking K-lakes but should've booked a site months ago. I have a 5 weight and basic flies along with an 8 weight and some big pike/bull trout streamers, would love to catch my first bully but anything really will do. My camper is small enough and solar so power is not required, actually prefer to stay away from the big powered glampgrounds. Will be bringing my kayak but even streams would be fine as long as I can cast without losing all my flies to trees. Random camping or site camping are both good by me, I just need to feel that rod bend in my hands is the main thing. I'm a very respectful outdoorsman and guarantee I'll leave the place as clean or cleaner than when I arrive, hopefully someone is willing to share an area or campground. If you'd like to add fly suggestions that I can get at The Fishin Hole I'd appreciate that as well. Anyway, thanks in advance and may the fish gods smile on those who help me justify spending $700 on fly fishing gear. Cheers