Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2018, 12:22 AM
gloszz gloszz is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 837
Default Need archery help- compound bow draw length

Just wanted to ask if a 5lb difference is worth upgrading? I'm currently at about 55lb draw weight and my arrow spine is at that point where if I change my draw weight to 60lb, the arrow won't work anymore. My draw length is at 28.5 inches and not sure if it really is worth trying to go up the 5lb just to change my arrows and resight my bow...

Any help is appreciated !

TIA
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-18-2018, 06:49 AM
normanrd's Avatar
normanrd normanrd is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: whitecourt
Posts: 1,215
Default

100% your call. Arrows are expensive, and 5# won't make that much difference on a 3d course for trajectory. It could have a fairly substantial impact on arrow performance when hunting though, depending on the type of broadhead and shot circumstances.

If you are running low on arrows I would the the plunge. If you don't reLly need new arrows, I would keep shooting the ones you have.

Jmo, Norm
__________________
Accurate Archery Pro-Staff
Hoyt Staff Shooter for Accurate Archery
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 AM
CNP's Avatar
CNP CNP is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CNP
Posts: 6,292
Default

Your draw length has nothing to do with arrow spine. What is your arrow length from throat of nock to end of insert? A 28" 400 spine arrow with 100/ 125 gr tips @ 60# are still compatible. Crank it up and try them.
__________________
[[[[[All news is fake news]]]]]


Looking to trade 1911A1 .45 ACP for .357 or .41 Mag (no single actions)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 26,238
Default

What arrows and what bow? What arrow length and what weight of broadhead. I have found sometimes depending on the setup you can cheat a bit against what the charts say...or you just try it and see if you can get things to tune ok. Some arrow manufacturers err on the side of stiffer despite what the label on the arrow states. I found once I had some arrows that were supposed to be 350 actually spined out closer to 320-315-ish.

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-18-2018, 12:52 PM
gloszz gloszz is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Your draw length has nothing to do with arrow spine. What is your arrow length from throat of nock to end of insert? A 28" 400 spine arrow with 100/ 125 gr tips @ 60# are still compatible. Crank it up and try them.
From what I understood since I have 30" arrows due to Cabelas messing up and not cutting them right, they're 30" and not 28". I plan on going back with receipt in hand and telling them to fix it. The bow shop was saying if I have 30" arrows and go up to a 60lb draw with the spine that I currently have which I believe is 400, then I may have issues; according to the chart.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-18-2018, 01:22 PM
gloszz gloszz is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
What arrows and what bow? What arrow length and what weight of broadhead. I have found sometimes depending on the setup you can cheat a bit against what the charts say...or you just try it and see if you can get things to tune ok. Some arrow manufacturers err on the side of stiffer despite what the label on the arrow states. I found once I had some arrows that were supposed to be 350 actually spined out closer to 320-315-ish.

LC
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/42808...w-blazer-vanes

Those are the the arrows I have with Montec G5 100gr broadheads. I have a PSE Stinger bow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2018, 04:47 PM
normanrd's Avatar
normanrd normanrd is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: whitecourt
Posts: 1,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
From what I understood since I have 30" arrows due to Cabelas messing up and not cutting them right, they're 30" and not 28". I plan on going back with receipt in hand and telling them to fix it. The bow shop was saying if I have 30" arrows and go up to a 60lb draw with the spine that I currently have which I believe is 400, then I may have issues; according to the chart.
Then you should get them to cut 2" off of the 30" ones they screwed up on, on their dime and crank up your bow the 5# you asked about in the original post. It still has nothing to do with your draw length. It is all about arrow length and draw weight. Not draw length and draw weight.you will almost for sure be good according to the spine chart. If you use a lighted nock it will stiffen the spine even a little more.

Norm
__________________
Accurate Archery Pro-Staff
Hoyt Staff Shooter for Accurate Archery
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2018, 06:36 PM
gloszz gloszz is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Then you should get them to cut 2" off of the 30" ones they screwed up on, on their dime and crank up your bow the 5# you asked about in the original post. It still has nothing to do with your draw length. It is all about arrow length and draw weight. Not draw length and draw weight.you will almost for sure be good according to the spine chart. If you use a lighted nock it will stiffen the spine even a little more.

Norm
Even though it may not seem like much, I feel better shooting at 55lb and not get as tired, while 60lb after pulling 3 to 4 times gets a bit harder. I think at 55 I am ok, and will be able to put down a whitetail or elk with enough practice and confidence in my shots.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2018, 07:12 PM
normanrd's Avatar
normanrd normanrd is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: whitecourt
Posts: 1,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Even though it may not seem like much, I feel better shooting at 55lb and not get as tired, while 60lb after pulling 3 to 4 times gets a bit harder. I think at 55 I am ok, and will be able to put down a whitetail or elk with enough practice and confidence in my shots.
Fair enough, again, your choice. I would still get the arrows fixed though. Personally, I find better arrow flight with an arrow that is a little heavy on the spine side compared to being on the light side. I have had better luck making broadheads fly like that as well. You will also gain 8 to 10 fps which can never be a bad thing for trajectory.

Jmo,
Norm
__________________
Accurate Archery Pro-Staff
Hoyt Staff Shooter for Accurate Archery
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-2018, 07:55 PM
gloszz gloszz is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Fair enough, again, your choice. I would still get the arrows fixed though. Personally, I find better arrow flight with an arrow that is a little heavy on the spine side compared to being on the light side. I have had better luck making broadheads fly like that as well. You will also gain 8 to 10 fps which can never be a bad thing for trajectory.

Jmo,
Norm
So I should keep them but just make them shorter?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-18-2018, 08:43 PM
wlou wlou is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 23
Default

Based on your bow, draw length, and arrow specifications, OnTarget2 estimates that your current arrows will work up to 60 lbs. Your current arrows at 30" carbon-to-carbon are ideal at your current draw weight of 55 lbs, but if you bump up to 60 lbs, you will technically be slightly under-spined. Cutting your current arrows to 28.0" carbon-to-carbon would get you to the ideal spine rating at 60 lbs.

The Cabela's Stalker Extreme arrows are stated to be rebranded Beman ICS Hunter arrows, however, the spines for the Cabela's 55/70 rating is actually 0.390" and not 0.400". I have tested and verified the spines on about 3 dozen Stalker Extreme arrows and the tolerances and consistency of these arrows is exceptional - don't feel the need to "upgrade" if you decide to shoot 60 lbs without first trying to cut your arrows down a little first if the bow doesn't tune.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-18-2018, 08:57 PM
brendan's dad's Avatar
brendan's dad brendan's dad is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton Area
Posts: 2,226
Default

My DL is 29" and I run 28 3/8 carbon to carbon and fixed broadheads with plenty of clearance. You are going to have approx 3 to 3 1/2 inches of arrow and 1 inch of broadhead sticking out past your riser.

Do you plan to hunt from a ground blind?

Also, I haven't had anything done at Cabelas since Lawrence left. Do yourself a favor and take the arrows to Jimbows or Accurate Archery and pay the fee to have them cut, at least then you will know they are straight. Also you may need to buy some new inserts as that will be easier than removing and cleaning the current ones. Cabelas at the very least should throw you them for free since it was their screw up.

Last edited by brendan's dad; 06-18-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 PM
normanrd's Avatar
normanrd normanrd is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: whitecourt
Posts: 1,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
So I should keep them but just make them shorter?
That's what I would do. Brendan's dad has a similar dl and runs an arrow that will be similar in length to yours and has no issues. Wlou says you would technically be ok, perhaps a little under spined at 60# with the length they are, so if you get them cut you will be marginally stiff at 55# and good for 60#. Quality isn't an issue, so get them made the right length and you should be golden! Being slightly over spined will only (generally)cause you to be a shade right (assuming you are right handed), while being under spine can cause you to hit left, and from my experience it can be a little or a lot, depending on the particular arrow you pull out of your quiver. I think it is always better to be a little over spined when you have to make a choice between being under or over.

Jmo,

Norm
__________________
Accurate Archery Pro-Staff
Hoyt Staff Shooter for Accurate Archery
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 PM
brendan's dad's Avatar
brendan's dad brendan's dad is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton Area
Posts: 2,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
That's what I would do. Brendan's dad has a similar dl and runs an arrow that will be similar in length to yours and has no issues. Wlou says you would technically be ok, perhaps a little under spined at 60# with the length they are, so if you get them cut you will be marginally stiff at 55# and good for 60#. Quality isn't an issue, so get them made the right length and you should be golden! Being slightly over spined will only (generally)cause you to be a shade right (assuming you are right handed), while being under spine can cause you to hit left, and from my experience it can be a little or a lot, depending on the particular arrow you pull out of your quiver. I think it is always better to be a little over spined when you have to make a choice between being under or over.

Jmo,

Norm
And in addition, if you are that worried about your spine being too stiff at 55 lbs and 28 inch arrow, bump your point weight up to 125 grains. A 125 grain fixed broadhead out of a 55 lb bow will blow through any animal in North America

I agree with Norm that slightly over spined is ok. My set-up as per the Gold Tip spine chart, should be a 340 spine. Bowtech Reign 6 at 66 lbs. But for some reason it tunes perfect with 300 spine Gold Tip XT Hunter.

This is my second bareshaft at 20 yards after a couple twist to the yokes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail 1.jpg (34.2 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by brendan's dad; 06-18-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-18-2018, 10:56 PM
gloszz gloszz is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 837
Default

I had them cut. There was an older fellow at the south cabelas in Edmonton that said he has shot bows for thirty years and helped my get it cut to 28.5. I feel that is a good compromise. I shot it and it actually shoots well. It's about half an inch over my fingers so need to be careful haha. I didn't have to adjust my sight in for 20 yards too much but will still sight it in better this weekend.

Thanks for the help guys. If I do go up to 60lb I think I will be good.

Now to find some elk and moose land!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-19-2018, 05:21 AM
nsmitchell nsmitchell is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Spruce Grove
Posts: 259
Default They are Easton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlou View Post
Based on your bow, draw length, and arrow specifications, OnTarget2 estimates that your current arrows will work up to 60 lbs. Your current arrows at 30" carbon-to-carbon are ideal at your current draw weight of 55 lbs, but if you bump up to 60 lbs, you will technically be slightly under-spined. Cutting your current arrows to 28.0" carbon-to-carbon would get you to the ideal spine rating at 60 lbs.

The Cabela's Stalker Extreme arrows are stated to be rebranded Beman ICS Hunter arrows, however, the spines for the Cabela's 55/70 rating is actually 0.390" and not 0.400". I have tested and verified the spines on about 3 dozen Stalker Extreme arrows and the tolerances and consistency of these arrows is exceptional - don't feel the need to "upgrade" if you decide to shoot 60 lbs without first trying to cut your arrows down a little first if the bow doesn't tune.
The Cabelas arrows are made by Easton. It's on the box.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Pasc43 Pasc43 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Calgary
Posts: 255
Default

The shorter the arrows the straighter they will likely be as well.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Jordan_BHA Jordan_BHA is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 30
Default

If you plan on hunting big bull elk, personally, I'd go to 60lbs. When I first moved up those 5-10lbs it was tough, but after a few trips to the range it gets easier and easier.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-14-2018, 05:53 AM
Passthru's Avatar
Passthru Passthru is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 721
Default

Iím at 57 pound DW and 31Ē DL. My arrows weigh 550 grains. Get a good cut on contact fixed head and your good to go, I say. The previous years I was at 55 pound DW and the moose Iíve shot were all passthroughs. Granted Iíve got a long draw and heavier arrow but still, dead is dead. I can pull more poundage no problem but I keep it light to hold full draw for long periods in hunting situations and draw in extremely cold weather or with a bad case of buck fever
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-15-2018, 09:00 AM
petew petew is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,711
Default

Shoot them the way they are and see what they tune like. They put adjusting screws on rests for a reason.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-16-2018, 03:43 PM
6.5 shooter's Avatar
6.5 shooter 6.5 shooter is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 1,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
From what I understood since I have 30" arrows due to Cabelas messing up and not cutting them right, they're 30" and not 28". I plan on going back with receipt in hand and telling them to fix it. The bow shop was saying if I have 30" arrows and go up to a 60lb draw with the spine that I currently have which I believe is 400, then I may have issues; according to the chart.
IF they cut your arrows for use with broad heads? then they did not "screw" up your arrows. Arrows are usually cut 1" longer for broad heads so people don't cut their fingers off. If you have a an overdraw etc. then that is different.

I run 28.5" arrows and my draw length is 27.5" with a capture rest, with field points and broad heads.

Changing tip weight, feathers for vanes, longer shorter vanes, adding forward weight etc. ALL affect the spine of your arrows. Buying a couple good archery books will save you TONS of money and help answer a lot of your questions.

P.S. 5# will do very little for your arrow speed or penetration, what it will do? is cause you to perhaps start making errors in your forum IF you over bow yourself. A GOOD, clean, sharp, broad head in front of an arrow that flies straight and true will fly faster and out penetrate most increases in draw weight.
__________________
.
Trades I would interested in:

-.22 Hornet or K Hornet
- light weight walking rifle in .204
- Anything in 6.5mm.
- Sightron rifle scopes, 4.5x14x42mm or 4x16x42mm especially! with the HHR reticule.

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 07-16-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.