Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Default Help: Need to borrow or rent satellite phone - end of August

Hi folks:

Got a week's fishing trip to Maligne Lake booked for the end of August. Unfortunately, this timing also coincides with a likely probability that a principal or school board may be trying to reach me about a teaching position.

Cell phone coverage is a non-starter. I need a satellite phone, so that I can actually receive a signal and actually have the means to talk and have a conversation with someone. It can't be simple messaging or texting; I need the means to have a phone call in the wilderness.

If anyone knows anyone a with a satellite phone I could borrow or rent for 7 days, please let me know!

Cheers. I'm in Edmonton.

Thanks in Advance,
​​​​​​​Mike
Old 07-11-2018, 02:24 PM

Gonna point out the obvious, but satellite phones are basically line of sight. As in, if there's a mountain/hill/thick trees between you and the satellite(s), you may not get a signal.

FTR.. It seems odd they would let you know the last week in august when most teachers are back at work by then (29th).
Old 07-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Best advice is to forget fishing and check in with your potential employer every day ... who knows, if you are there, willing, and able when someone's answering machine says "Gone fishing" .... you might get lucky
Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Communications 2000 in Leduc rents them I beleive.
As far as line of sight you just need a clear view of the sky.
They are intermittent in service though, so them calling you will still be by chance that they get you.
I had one.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:24 PM

Bushrvn: Thanks, I'll check them out

260Rem: I'm leading a party of 10; and since it's not a given I'll be called, I'm not sure it would be better to stay home and cancel a trip that has been planned for 3 years on a roll of the dice. The whole point of the satellite phone is to skip the answering machine part...

JB: The lake has a clear line of sight to the sky. I know other users use satellite phones in the mountains, not sure why Maligne would be different. It's a big long lake, plenty of line of sight to the sky. FYI, principals hire teachers based on enrollment and funding dollars - positions come up all the time - hiring season is basically mid-August to Thanksgiving.

Appreciate the replies, keep them coming.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:38 PM

Not sure where your from Mike.

They rent them out of Calgary as well.
I lent mine to my brother who's on the Article ocean right now,,, not 100% sure when he gets back.

They did a few canoe rivers in the territories less the nahanni River which was another group.

We've had good success with globalstar and iridium.

Don
Old 07-11-2018, 03:41 PM

https://www.canadasatellite.ca/Iridi...rental-can.htm

Lots and for relatively cheap and they have Iridiums. Most satellites, Global coverage, lowest latency, can walk and talk so true mobile, far and away best coverage.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-11-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Not sure where your from Mike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Hi folks:

Cheers. I'm in Edmonton.

Thanks in Advance,
​​​​​​​Mike
Lol. But I appreciate the reply, thank-you!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:29 PM

I was going to rent one for my Manitoba trip I think it was a hundred and fifty a week and 15

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 04:29 PM

15 free minutes a week

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 06:10 PM

Try to get an Iridium phone if you can. They are much more reliable.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 PM

With a sat phone if you want to be able to receive a call you need to have the antenna extended and the phone turned on. Make sure you have a way to charge it and make sure you know how long the battery will run down while you have it on waiting for a call. An Iridium Extreme has a 30 hour standby time and you will need 120V AC or 12V DC to charge the battery. Good luck.

Last edited by HighlandHeart; 07-11-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 PM

Honestly Id call the schools your interested in teaching for and talk to the person responsible for hiring to see if they expect to be hiring that week. If they are, tell them you'll be away, but really want to work for them and are willing to come in for an interview before the position is posted. If they're not hiring you at least look eager to the hiring manager.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 07-11-2018, 07:49 PM

Its a thread about phone availability. Dont think hes looking for anne landers! Lol
Old 07-11-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten1576 View Post
Its a thread about phone availability. Dont think hes looking for anne landers! Lol
There's no doubt that he should be taking a SAT phone anyway, or some sort of communication device. But with his situation it's better to prepare before he goes into the backcountry, then to try and handle it while out there. Thats my 2 cents
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
There's no doubt that he should be taking a SAT phone anyway, or some sort of communication device. But with his situation it's better to prepare before he goes into the backcountry, then to try and handle it while out there. Thats my 2 cents
Thanks anne
Old 07-12-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Honestly Id call the schools your interested in teaching for and talk to the person responsible for hiring to see if they expect to be hiring that week. If they are, tell them you'll be away, but really want to work for them and are willing to come in for an interview before the position is posted. If they're not hiring you at least look eager to the hiring manager.
. Raab, I won't bore you with the details, but that's not even close to how it works with EPSB. There are channels to go through. Suffice to say, I've already contacted my person at HR, and they totally understand and have given me advice. So, the Sat. phone is the way to go.

[And before someone else asks, I'll just say, I'm leading a party of 10, and the trip has been planned for years. These dates were all I could get; the website opened at 8am, and booking a party of 10 is pretty tough. Most dates were gone by 8:30am....I digress... ]

Thanks for the replies everyone, keep them coming!
Old 07-12-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
. Raab, I won't bore you with the details, but that's not even close to how it works with EPSB. There are channels to go through. Suffice to say, I've already contacted my person at HR, and they totally understand and have given me advice. So, the Sat. phone is the way to go.

[And before someone else asks, I'll just say, I'm leading a party of 10, and the trip has been planned for years. These dates were all I could get; the website opened at 8am, and booking a party of 10 is pretty tough. Most dates were gone by 8:30am....I digress... ]

Thanks for the replies everyone, keep them coming!
Unless you are hoping for someone who owns one to lend it to you, you have the answers you need. There aren't all that many choices and if you want the best shot at talking to the guy you want to get the Iridium. The phone has to be on to get the call, most only last 24 hours on standby so you need a way to charge them, either generator or solar/thermal with enough out put to charge the phone so you can leave it on full time.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
JB: The lake has a clear line of sight to the sky. I know other users use satellite phones in the mountains, not sure why Maligne would be different.
It's not the "sky" you need "line of sight" with. Just be advised there's still a chance you can miss the call. I'm in O&G, Satellite phones aren't the be all and end all. Calls are "missed" more often than people think.

Quote:
FYI, principals hire teachers based on enrollment and funding dollars - positions come up all the time - hiring season is basically mid-August to Thanksgiving..
I knew support staff (EA's, etc.) was that way, didn't know teachers as well.

I know it's been said, but knowing that, I wouldn't ever plan a trip during that time.

At any rate, hope it works out for you.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:18 AM

I just booked a SAT phone for a Sheep hunt in August with Communications Group in Red Deer. 10bucks a day, and between 1.75-2 bucks per minute in usage fees. The lady said they didnt currently have any phones available, so good to book early.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Unless you are hoping for someone who owns one to lend it to you, you have the answers you need. There aren't all that many choices and if you want the best shot at talking to the guy you want to get the Iridium. The phone has to be on to get the call, most only last 24 hours on standby so you need a way to charge them, either generator or solar/thermal with enough out put to charge the phone so you can leave it on full time.
Dean2:

I wholeheartedly agree about answers, and that's exactly what I was hoping for: to borrow one. But, that's pretty unlikely and a long longshot at best. C'est la vie, I am prepared to rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
It's not the "sky" you need "line of sight" with. Just be advised there's still a chance you can miss the call. I'm in O&G, Satellite phones aren't the be all and end all. Calls are "missed" more often than people think.
Understood. That's what I suspected. I'm gambling here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I know it's been said, but knowing that, I wouldn't ever plan a trip during that time.

At any rate, hope it works out for you.
Thanks. It is what it is. At the time of the booking, I wasn't thinking about a contract position (I am already on the sub list for 2018-19). Then I changed my mind. So, out of a 7 week hiring window, I am choosing to miss one, and roll the dice with a sat phone. My only other choice is to not go, but I am the group leader and the "de facto fishing guide". So, I compromise. Again, c'est la vie. Talked to HR already, made the best arrangements I could, they understand.

Thanks everyone! I'll check out various suppliers and make a decision. Cheers.