Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 12:31 PM

Default Thanks to all

Thank you everyone for your input.
I went back to Rona (a different one) and we got it all solved. The original package was cancelled and we created a new one, set to be delivered today. And es, we have concrete piles all set to go for the weekend.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 PM

Thank you again. I appreciate the offer to help. People like you are what’s right in this world.
We got the issue solved luckily. We ordered a new package with a Rona rep who had a better idea of what they were doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
sorry just re-read your original post - I agree Rona did not give you the right lumber.

If your ledger attached to the house is 14' and your deck runs 20' into your yard .... here is what you will need .....

2 support beams, each with 3 posts supporting them. Your posts will be a 6x6 pressure treated post. Your support beam will be made up of 3 pcs glued and screwed together of 2x8 or 2x10 dimensional lumber equal to the width of your deck (14') x 2. I'd use 16' pcs as your deck may end up an inch or two wider depending on a number of factors - you can always run the supports long, square up the ends. The cost difference is minor.

Your post, and support beam material list is .....

6 pcs - 6"x6"x8' pressure treat posts (piles must be no less than 48" below grade) You may want to drill deeper and get longer posts.

6 pcs - 2"x8"x16' or 2"x10"x16' to assemble 2 support beams

Your support beams should be fastened to your posts using a post to beam connector. These are the galvanized pcs. found in the lumber section - you can also use saddles.

Joists

On a 20' deck - Using a 12" cantilever off the end, you are spanning 19'. Divide 19' by two rows of support beams, you will have a support beam at 9'-6" and the second at 19'-0" parallel to your ledger on your home.

Your joists will be 2"x8"x12' (or you can use 2x10 to get a stiffer deck) and you will need them to be 16" on centre.

The joists will be fastened to your ledger on your home using joist hangers.

The other end of the 12' joists will rest on the first support beam closest to your house and overhang (or lap) that support beam by about ~24".

Place your next set of joists right beside the first row of joists. There will 12" of overhang (run a line level) on the second support beam (the one 19' out from the house). The end of the joist running back to the first support beam will "overlap" (lay beside) the other joists and run ~24" past this support beam and back to the house.

You should cut and "fill in" the laps on the outside edge of the deck for structural and cosmetic purposes both inside and out.

If you need a drawing PM me and I will make you one.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:38 PM

I did.
As a forum I assumed we could ask for help. Otherwise what is the purpose of it. In my profession, we have forums too and anyone is welcome to ask for input. Free. Because we are hopefully all trying to build a good community. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Did this guy create an account on the Alberta Outdoorsman Forum for the sole purpose of asking for advice on building a deck?
He should be sent a bill for consultation services.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdriedeck View Post
I did.

As a forum I assumed we could ask for help. Otherwise what is the purpose of it. In my profession, we have forums too and anyone is welcome to ask for input. Free. Because we are hopefully all trying to build a good community. .

But why did you pick the outdoorsman forum and not a diy renovation forum or something?
It just struck me as a strange place to look for that kind of help is all.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:30 PM

When I googled deck information, this is one of the sites that had a previous discussion about decks.

Tags
beams, deck, posts