Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-09-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Sherwood Park Area Pro Shop/Dealer Response

Curious as to what the general response could be to a new shop opening up in the Sherwood Park vicinity. Seeing as nothing exists out this way these days, Iíve been giving it some serious thought. I stepped away from the oil patch last fall after a long stretch in that racket and Iíd like to do something more home based. Iím not a bow tech as per certification but have a fellow who is willing to school me on the craft until deemed competent as well as assist the process of becoming a dealer of selected manufacturers. Iíve done all my own bow tuning for several years(unless I was completely stumped) made my own arrows(fletching, custom cresting) etc. I wouldnít be doing much in the way of indoor shooting facilities unless there was a serious demand for such from customer base but I would be willing to set up an outdoor range as well as a walk through 3D course(through varying terrain) as I could potentially devote around 60 acres to doing such.

What say you archers of the AO community?
Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 PM

I would be all for that buddy! Need something closer to home!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:27 PM

Differently would be nice to have a local business to support.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
I would be all for that buddy! Need something closer to home!
Agreed! Something closer to home would be nice. I feel there is a void to be filled in the area.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM

I would probably stop by a few times a year.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Yep would be great to have something in that area.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 PM

It won't be easy.

The only way you'll have a chance is if you or an employee are masters at tuning a bow. Lots of shops have come and gone, and there is a reason for it.

Here are a few things I look for in a pro shop:

Friendly staff, if you can't hold a conversation with your customer you might as well stop here.

Knowledgeable staff. If I'm a better bow Tech than the shop, why would I go there?

Big name dealer. If you don't have Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, or PSE then it's going to be a tough go.

Shooting lanes. You would be a winner if you can find 40yds indoors as well as that video dart target system.

If youn only make $200 a bow sold you're going to have to draw in a steady flow of customers. If you're someone they like to talk with, they'll come back, if you can properly tune a bow, they'll come back, if you have the product they're after then they're gonna come, and if you have something not every other shop has, they will come.

Rent ain't cheap and it takes a lot of sales just to cover overhead, let alone turn a profit.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
It won't be easy.

The only way you'll have a chance is if you or an employee are masters at tuning a bow. Lots of shops have come and gone, and there is a reason for it.

Here are a few things I look for in a pro shop:

Friendly staff, if you can't hold a conversation with your customer you might as well stop here.

Knowledgeable staff. If I'm a better bow Tech than the shop, why would I go there?

Big name dealer. If you don't have Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, or PSE then it's going to be a tough go.

Shooting lanes. You would be a winner if you can find 40yds indoors as well as that video dart target system.

If youn only make $200 a bow sold you're going to have to draw in a steady flow of customers. If you're someone they like to talk with, they'll come back, if you can properly tune a bow, they'll come back, if you have the product they're after then they're gonna come, and if you have something not every other shop has, they will come.

Rent ain't cheap and it takes a lot of sales just to cover overhead, let alone turn a profit.

Good luck!
Thanks for the responses thus far. If somethingís worth doing it generally isnít easy. I agree with you on your points noted. Iíve met you face to face and thought we held a decent conversation. Might have been longer were you not so damn busy with work!

Overhead is a huge consideration like you said, many shops have come and gone and Iím sure the failing of a few has been purely financial. Home based was meant in the purest sense. Iím only 15min outside of The Park and would run it out of the shop. A Dart system would be easy. Iíve shot and liked it well enough.

Service is #1 when Iím shopping too so youíre bang on with the tech sentiments. Very seldom do I find myself in a shop for that reason. I would be remiss to consider myself a guru, just not there yet but Iím certainly no green horn either. The fellow Iíve coersed into training however is a guru.

All food for thought and I appreciate the effort to respond with good sentiments/suggestions. Just testing the waters at this point.

What else would you guys like to see in a shop? Garnering as much feedback as possible now is better than trying to play catch up after the fact.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:25 PM

Default Business Paln

1. Small business start up cost, registration and accounting.

2. Determine what products you would like to carry and that they are available for sale. What distributor are available and rules associated to dealership for individual bow manufactures. What are the usually profit margins; bows vs accessories.

3. Advertising

4. Cost of shop set-up. Tools, displays/shelving, target, etc.

5. Insurance

6. Utilities.

7. Projected number of clients in your geographical area. Maybe you could contact the Alberta Relm and obtain numbers for bow permits purchased in Strathcona, Beaver, and Leduc County. Are you going to cater to the Target crowd as well? If so you could speak with the Sherwood Park Archery club and see what their registration numbers are.

8. Post a thread here on the Archery section and get an idea of the average dollars spent per year, you can also conduct searches online or on Archery Talk. This in conjunction with a base number of clients will give you a project gross for the business.

I would then take all you gather info and spend the $100-$200 to have an accountant specialize in small businesses and look at the numbers and see if it is a viable business model.

Often what I read about in the states is that small archery shop often run another type business/service in conjunction with archery (bait and tackle, firearms etc). A good example here is Accurate Archery where clients are also coming through the door for Boats and OHV.

Good Luck
Old 05-10-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
1. Small business start up cost, registration and accounting.

2. Determine what products you would like to carry and that they are available for sale. What distributor are available and rules associated to dealership for individual bow manufactures. What are the usually profit margins; bows vs accessories.

3. Advertising

4. Cost of shop set-up. Tools, displays/shelving, target, etc.

5. Insurance

6. Utilities.

7. Projected number of clients in your geographical area. Maybe you could contact the Alberta Relm and obtain numbers for bow permits purchased in Strathcona, Beaver, and Leduc County. Are you going to cater to the Target crowd as well? If so you could speak with the Sherwood Park Archery club and see what their registration numbers are.

8. Post a thread here on the Archery section and get an idea of the average dollars spent per year, you can also conduct searches online or on Archery Talk. This in conjunction with a base number of clients will give you a project gross for the business.

I would then take all you gather info and spend the $100-$200 to have an accountant specialize in small businesses and look at the numbers and see if it is a viable business model.

Often what I read about in the states is that small archery shop often run another type business/service in conjunction with archery (bait and tackle, firearms etc). A good example here is Accurate Archery where clients are also coming through the door for Boats and OHV.

Good Luck
Some good ideas there BD. Thank you for that.

Iíve had my own business operating for a number of years and did well. Iíve since sold. Different dynamic as it was oilfield related but Iím familiar with a lot of the basics you mentioned. Some avenues for garnering info that I hadnít thought of so again, thank you.

I agree with you entirely on the diversification and I am exploring another avenue that could and probably should be incorporated into this venture to make it a more attractive establishment to set foot in as well as do business with. I could divulge but it should have its own thread or at least wait until Iíve got more direction with whatís in discussion.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:04 PM

Knowing lots of folks in the archery/outdoor business its a real tough go, especially in todayís business and economic climate. People are holding tighter to their dollars and arenít buying new as much as previously.

Best of luck if you choose this road to go down.

LC
Old 05-12-2018, 08:15 AM

Anybody know the guy in Whitecourt is he any good at tuning bows I want to drop my bow off but I really don't want to drive into the city thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2018, 09:21 AM

What lefty said. Itís been discussed on here several times as well, that there hasnít been any game changing tech introduced the bow world in the last few years. Prior to 2013 or 2014, guys were upgrading every year or two years. Now it might be 5-7. So youíre not making much selling bows, you have to make money other ways, and your direct competition is Jimbows for tuning and cabelas for price.

In my mind, youíre gonna need a 40 yard indoor range with 3D targets and elevated platforms. That is different, worth driving to, and makes money all winter. Perhaps heated to 5-10 degrees for realism (and cost saving). Have a SEPERATE standard 10 and 20 yard lane setup in the shop, so bowhunters wanting serious practice arenít in conflict with tuning/new bow tryouts/newbies. Yes to the outdoor 3D course and Dart as well. Make yourself the go-to practice location and you will draw a lot of customers

Get setup with the best custom string makers. Worlds best and 60x and at least one more. Bow strings have to be replaced more than anything except arrows. Speaking of arrows, have a good stock of Easton, Black eagle, and victory.

Hooter shooter tuning is basically mandatory now.

Good website right from the start. Nothing annoys people more than not being able to google things.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:32 PM

You may want to talk with Martin from Swamp Donkey.
Hes in the Spruce Grove area and would probably be able to give you some insights on how an acreage archery business goes.

There are also a few other acreage based archery businesses, that could give you some idea of what to expect.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
You may want to talk with Martin from Swamp Donkey.
Hes in the Spruce Grove area and would probably be able to give you some insights on how an acreage archery business goes.

There are also a few other acreage based archery businesses, that could give you some idea of what to expect.
x2. Neil at lost archery between Irma and wainwright would be able to give you a bit of insight also
Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 AM

Default shop

I typically don't chime into this sort of thing, however I thought I might let you in on the "first catch phrase" you will learn from others who owned a archery pro-shop.....

You can take these words to the bank, and this comes from a guy (me) who was the manager of 4 different pro-shops in the Edmonton area over a period of years..

Ready for it...

Wait...Wait....

"Ya start with two million dollars and walk away a few years later with one"

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 05-17-2018, 03:55 PM

Back in the 90's I got into bow hunting and made my own arrows and tree stands. I had picked up a high country safari bow from a bow shop on the yellow head and about 124 st. I think they moved into St Albert and called themselves Sturgeon Valley Archery. I think they moved to Sherwood park at a later date. I may be talking about more than one shop but they seem to come and go. Good luck with your shop, as for me, I gave up the sport long ago with a torn rotator.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:24 PM

Iíd personally love a shop close to home. Especially if it has a more advanced range like others have mentioned. Elevated terrain, 3D targets, longer then 20 yards indoor. But yes, I have also seen a handful of shops in the area come and go. Real pity.

Clarky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2018, 07:13 AM

would be nice to have a shop closer to home.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Good website right from the start. Nothing annoys people more than not being able to google things.
This all day long.

Also, inventory/pricing - it's a bear to keep up-to-date, but if they don't see the product they want on your website, there's less chance of them making the trip to your store.

Also consider using Amazon as a channel - personally, I wonder if WSS would have been able do dispose of a lot of stagnant stock had they done that instead of using their internal web storefront.

One thing about retail - and this is hard - you can spend a lot of time with people who have nothing but time on their hands, but won't spend a dime in your store. Learn how to qualify customers. The tricky part is trying to figure out whether that tire-kicker is going to come in some day to drop a massive wad on new equipment.