Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 12:11 PM

And then decided to have a home Smoked Andouille and Gouda Sammich on a Pheasant Egg Bun for Breakfast

Old 05-29-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Elk Cutlets

love hunting and beef - for me wild meat needs a lot of effort...

put small thin elk steaks thu a cutlet machine - season to your liking - coat with egg and your choice of breading - pan fry - once cooked - place in casserole dish and layer with tomato sauce and cooked ham - bake in oven for a while and the breading soaks up the tomato sauce and ham flavour - reminded me of veal cutlets
Old 05-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Suspended User

Chickens. Moose. Elk. Whitetail. 1" cubes. Season to taste. Fry up for appies while your steaks are bbqing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 03:36 PM

Default Hungarian Pheasant Egg Forgacs Fank

Deep Fat Fried Cookies

30 Pheasant Yolks
2 tsp Vanilla
1oz Strohs 80
6oz Ginger Ale
Pinch Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
5-6 cups AP Flour

Combine wet and dry ingredients separately and add 1/3 of the dry to all of the wet to make a slack batter. Beat well and add the rest of the dry to make a soft dough.
Let rest in fridge 2 hours.

Cut dough into quarters and roll each quarter to a 1/8" thickness and cut into strips with pizza cutter or knife

Cut across into rectangles and cut a partial slit down the center of each rectangle
[IMG]
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg568/percebes/P6110022_zpsedwva1bp.jpg[/IMG]

Flip slits to the outside to make the angel wings

Last edited by omega50; 06-11-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:15 PM

Fry in 350F Lard til brown and flip-total time about 3 minutes
Sprinkle with Vanilla Icing Sugar

Made 3 trays
Old 06-11-2017, 08:23 PM

Default WILD GAME RECIPES. Post them. RECIPES ONLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk09 View Post
love hunting and beef - for me wild meat needs a lot of effort...

Sounds like you need some help.... Wild meat shouldn't need all that effort....and godam sure not tomatoe sauce! Haha! Yikes! .... and If your gonna use a frying pan on meat, you might as well use a grinder first to make hamburger and you'll enjoy it more. Then throw the frying pan away and use the BBQ anyways.

Try this instead good sir: (if you take your meat to a butcher, ask for the strip loin in 2 or 3 equal parts, not cut into tiny steaks) and tell him: "EVERY LAST PIECE OF THE ****ING FAT AND SINUE GOES TO THE MANGEY COYOTES!!!"

----Deer/elk/moose steak to die for----
1 Whole strip loin cut into YOUR family sized lengths (8-10" long should be close to 8-10 steaks)
-Season the meat with garlic, pepper, steak spice OR some salt, maybe some onion powder.... whatever flavors you like... and throw it in the fridge over night. When you go to cook it, throw the whole damn block of meat on the hot, pre heated BBQ on medium heat (250-300) Keep Turing it till all 4 sides look evenly charred... but make sure to take the temp once in a while until it reaches 145-150 (rare to medium rare) 155 at the most for medium. Then let it rest a while and THEN cut it into nice little 1" slices of heaven! let me know how it works.... please... no more deer steak flavored tomatoe sauce haha! Unless it's ground up and shoved in spaghetti.
Matt

Last edited by allaboutmathews; 06-11-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:18 PM

Default Deer recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutmathews View Post
Sounds like you need some help.... Wild meat shouldn't need all that effort....and godam sure not tomatoe sauce! Haha! Yikes! .... and If your gonna use a frying pan on meat, you might as well use a grinder first to make hamburger and you'll enjoy it more. Then throw the frying pan away and use the BBQ anyways.

Try this instead good sir: (if you take your meat to a butcher, ask for the strip loin in 2 or 3 equal parts, not cut into tiny steaks) and tell him: "EVERY LAST PIECE OF THE ****ING FAT AND SINUE GOES TO THE MANGEY COYOTES!!!"

----Deer/elk/moose steak to die for----
1 Whole strip loin cut into YOUR family sized lengths (8-10" long should be close to 8-10 steaks)
-Season the meat with garlic, pepper, steak spice OR some salt, maybe some onion powder.... whatever flavors you like... and throw it in the fridge over night. When you go to cook it, throw the whole damn block of meat on the hot, pre heated BBQ on medium heat (250-300) Keep Turing it till all 4 sides look evenly charred... but make sure to take the temp once in a while until it reaches 145-150 (rare to medium rare) 155 at the most for medium. Then let it rest a while and THEN cut it into nice little 1" slices of heaven! let me know how it works.... please... no more deer steak flavored tomatoe sauce haha! Unless it's ground up and shoved in spaghetti.
Matt
Was never much for deer meat ,but this sounds interesting .
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:53 AM

Default Pork-less venison sausages....experiment

Anyone else try pork-less venison sausages?
I made up a batch and they taste great.

Here's mine:
https://highlanderhunting.wordpress.com/pictures/
Old 02-10-2018, 08:11 AM

Here is a link to "Simply Canning" they have excellent canning techniques and recipes. They had this up on FB today. How to can Elk and Venison. Perhaps this recipe could help some of you out.

https://www.simplycanning.com/veniso...ampaign=buffer
Old 03-27-2018, 09:48 AM

Default Sausag

I enjoy the recipe “king of venison sausage”. Google it. Not sure the exact website.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:24 AM

Default WILD GAME RECIPES. Post them. RECIPES ONLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf84 View Post
I enjoy the recipe “king of venison sausage”. Google it. Not sure the exact website.

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/smoke-sausage.html
Top right menu and then look for venison recipes.
And there is also a bunch of other great recipes on there! And tips on how not to f*%# up your sausage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by allaboutmathews; 03-28-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:11 PM

This is one of the better recipes I have tried for wild game. Made last night with ground elk and its hard to beat.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1941...nd+garlic+pies
Old 04-03-2018, 02:34 PM

deer backstrap, salt and pepper, hot pan, little butter.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:39 PM

Default Slow cooker Roast

Tender Slow Cooker Moose Roast
Moose/Elk roast
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg onion soup mix
1 soup can of water
Worchestershire sauce
Your favourite seasonings

Season roast with Lawry’s salt, pepper, garlic salt, Mrs. Dash, dry mustard, whatever you guys like for seasoning.
I then give the roast a quick sear on all sides and put it in slow cooker, with a couple pieces of carrot, onion & celery.
Mix the can of soup, onion soup mix, water a few squirts of Worchestershire sauce together, and pour into frying pan to deglaze the pan, bring to a simmer and pour it over the roast.
Set slow cooker to low 8 hours or high 4 hours. When roast is cooked, I usually sieve some of the liquid out of the slow cooker into a small pot and thicken it a bit with cornstarch.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:43 PM

Default Goose Swiss Steak

Swiss Steak

Ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 pounds cubed steak or goose breast
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons ground paprika
2 teaspoons ground thyme
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Directions
Mix flour, salt, mustard, and pepper together in a wide, shallow bowl.
Dredge cube steaks in the flour mixture to coat completely.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry steaks until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a slow cooker, reserving drippings in the skillet.
Saute onion and garlic in the reserved drippings in the skillet until softened, 2 to 3 minutes more; add to the slow cooker. Discard the oil.
Stir beef broth and tomato paste together in a bowl until the paste dissolves into the broth; add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, thyme, and oregano. Pour the broth mixture over the steaks in the slow cooker.
Cook on Low until the meat is tender to the point of falling apart, 6 to 8 hours