Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Default A good read

I have a new job that gives me a lot of ***** time and have been catching up on some reading,but can see myself looking for some good books soon. I read Rudy Wiebe's Mad Trapper ( awsome read ) ,and I am currently reading Three Against The Wilderness by Eric Collier and will finish it tonight.So, the question I'm going to posse to everbody is whats your recommended read when sitting under Colman lantern in cabin during a deep freeze or while being snowed in.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:55 PM

Try " ruffles on my longjohns"...a homesteading family's account of crossing the chilcotins to settle in Bella Coola valley in the early 1900's...sk
Old 12-09-2009, 10:02 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

You could try "Give your Heart to ther Hawks" by Winfred Blevins. About the first trappers to move in to the mountains of the Blackfeet.
Or
"Descent into Madness-Diary of a Madman" by Vern Frolick. Story of the RCMP and a guy that goes "bush" in BC during the 80"s. Good story not all that well written because it is written by one of the Mounties (ret'd) that was in on the chase and the madman kept complete full diaries.
Or
"Northern Bushcraft" by Mors Kochanski. Always good to learn something new or re-new a lost memory. You are a trapper so likely know most of the info he talks about.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 AM

try North to Cree lake, and face the north wind. the books are by an old time trapper in Northern sask. his name is A.L. Karras. couldnt put them down

Take care. Merry Christmas
Linton
Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 PM

"try North to Cree lake, and face the north wind. the books are by an old time trapper in Northern sask. his name is A.L. Karras. couldnt put them down"

I also really enjoyed these these books. And it's almost local country for me. (Always been a sucker for the western Canadian depression era stuff.)

Dan
Old 12-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

I have read most of the already mentioned books but to date my favorite is the one written by a man I knew. His book, oddly enough, is just called - Mike Krutko's Amazing Adventures. When I first met Mike, he was living at the Vanderwell Lodge in Slave Lake. There he stayed for several more years and the the wanderlust took hold again and he pulled up stakes and went to Grande Prairie, where at almost 90 years of age he got himself an apartment. Since that time his kids have talked him into moving closer to them and I now believe he is in Yellowknife. He is 95 yrs old and is such an amazing man and if at all possible would like to visit again with him this summer. He was a fisherman at Slave Lake and trapper all the way as he travelled over the years ending in Inuvik. That is what I call a good read. As a fur buyer on the Mackenzie River, he competed directly up against the HBC. That's the kind of man he was.. Better stop b4 I rewrite the book
Old 12-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Everything, anything by Louis L'Amour. I bought his entire collection in hardcover at a yard sale once, and I take an armful to every camp I go to. I've also got most of them in paperback, so I put a new one in my backpack everyday. When I'm sitting, I crack open a paperback, and I find I can sit still a lot longer.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:25 AM

Thumbs up

Great stuff guys and thanks for the input. I found another good one in the used book store, its called Men for the Mountians by Sid Marty. Its pretty good but I'm notfinished yet. I'm only a couple hundered pages into it.
Its a story about a young university student starting a carrier in the national parks as a park warden setting starts in early 1960. Author was a park wardon from Jasper.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 AM

Default Second that!!!

I second that Louis L'Amour....he is truely an amazing writer. Some old faithful are Lonesome Dove, Sand county almanac and my seemingly endless collection of non-fiction sometime I am at the book store or pick up a book and when I get home I find that I already have it, just haven't read it and placed it on the shelf for a rainy day.

Some newer reads have been
The Last Guide by Ron corbet - tail of Algonquin Parks last fishing guide
Memoirs of a Mountain man by Andy Russell
Men for the mountains by Sid Marty
All amazing books, but I do have another fella i'm kind of into....if you guys are interested why don't you check out an auther by the name of John McPhee, he writes about mans domination of the wild and nature...
Old 12-28-2009, 07:45 PM

The Year-Long Day: One Man's Arctic (Hardcover)
~ A. E. Maxwell (Author), Ivar Ruud
Ivar Ruud (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Year-Long-Day-.../dp/0397011318
Cheers Jim
Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Although his books are not wilderness/hunting/trapping based, I have always loved Clive Cussler novels. I enjoy his writing style and enthusiasm for thrill and adventure. I have read all his books and recommend Inca Gold, Sahara and Raise the Titanic! for starters.
Alot of interesting posts and lots of books to check out now.
cheers,
junkie
Old 12-28-2009, 09:02 PM

I'm tearing through TEd Dekker's Circle Trilogy, Paradise novels and soon the Lost Books. Can't put them down. They're all intertwined. Not outdoorsy, but darn good.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:24 AM

Default Recommended Christmas book

For all you guys who like Exploration accounts - I recommend the book that my wife got me from Indigo for Christmas:

The Forgotten Explorer; Samuel Prescott Fay's 1914 Expedition to the Northern Rockies, 2009, Card covers, Rocky Mountain Books, $29.95

The longest horseback hunt in the Rockies that I know of, north of Hinton to Hudson's Hope