Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2020, 02:20 PM

A chance to spend the holidays with the family and get some early season fishing in!
I hope that you walked out with whatever you could carry that wasn't nailed down!
Chin up!
Old 12-01-2020, 02:29 PM

Sorry to the OP for his experience, all though this doesn't help him it is a stark reminder for others that years of service mean nothing anymore, think about this the next time your boss asks for a "favor"
Old 12-01-2020, 02:52 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear of your dismissal, unfortunately there will be more and many like yourself will be caught up in the restructuring of some organizations. Never easy on either side of the desk, I wish you the best and you will find your grove again...

Worthless you are not, 25 years is something to celebrate your commitment and accomplishments with this organization.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:37 PM

Sorry double post

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-01-2020, 03:38 PM

Life as we know it is full of holes right now...we are leaking from every darn spot. Not our doing, not the company’s doing, it’s the govt’s doing the most harm and ya..I firmly believe that it is for a big surprise twisted up ending that none of us are going to like...it is a good time to be retired at the moment.
I wish all those with jobs drying up on a daily basis the patience to pull through this world of goo we are mired in...I wish I could just wiggle my nose and all would be good, but I need way more practice...chins up everyone, try and stay strong...reach out if need be! I’ll be here!
Sadly Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-01-2020, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Walked in to work this morning to walking papers after 25 years with my company. Was a lay off with a little severance. Busted my hump for years, moved up, made them a ton of money. All for nothing, know things are bad right now, but zero warning has me feeling pretty betrayed for all the unpaid nights, wknds, and on call days.

I know I shouldn't complain with how things are, but just feeling worthless right now.

2020 rolls on......
Well it dose suck but it happens and you at least had 25 years .i
Old 12-01-2020, 04:22 PM
Gone Hunting

For me it was after 16 years of giving more then required, but often life will knock you down.
I got back up and started my own company, now with Covid that is on hold.
Don't know yet if there will be anything left when this is over. But I have no regrets. I did the best I could with what life dealt me.

It sure was tough when it happened though.

I wish you the best.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-01-2020, 04:38 PM

Sorry to hear this, but I fear that 2020 and 2021 are going to bring a lot more of this. The two viruses, covid and the liberals, are going to do a lot more damage to our economy.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
For me it was after 16 years of giving more then required, but often life will knock you down.
I got back up and started my own company, now with Covid that is on hold.
Don't know yet if there will be anything left when this is over. But I have no regrets. I did the best I could with what life dealt me.

It sure was tough when it happened though.

I wish you the best.
Doing your best, it's all that you can do. Life's circumstance messes some up and blesses others, but if you do your best, it is enough.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-01-2020, 04:49 PM

It's pretty much a slap in the face isn't it?

100% crappy for sure.

If you look at the bright side you collected a wage for 25 years from the same company. You're probably close to retirement. I'm guessing your house and vehicles are paid off?? You have a nice pension saved up. A 25 year pay out which equals 6 months wages, minimum... if not go see a lawyer.

A slap in the face sucks but many would give anything to be in your financial shoes right about now. Me included.

Count your blessings.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:55 PM

Double tap

Last edited by wannabe; 12-01-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
It's pretty much a slap in the face isn't it?

100% crappy for sure.

If you look at the bright side you collected a wage for 25 years from the same company. You're probably close to retirement. I'm guessing your house and vehicles are paid off?? You have a nice pension saved up. A 25 year pay out which equals 6 months wages, minimum... if not go see a lawyer.

A slap in the face sucks but many would give anything to be in your financial shoes right about now. Me included.

Count your blessings.
I’d sure like a crystal ball just like the one your using...mine is all cloudy right now...things are okay, but I could use some clearing up as your model seems to be working for you...
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-01-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Walked in to work this morning to walking papers after 25 years with my company. Was a lay off with a little severance. Busted my hump for years, moved up, made them a ton of money. All for nothing, know things are bad right now, but zero warning has me feeling pretty betrayed for all the unpaid nights, wknds, and on call days.

I know I shouldn't complain with how things are, but just feeling worthless right now.

2020 rolls on......

Loyalty these days is usually a one-way street with most companies/corporations. I feel for you, but have seen a similar scenario play out many times. Usually the ones most liked, most productive and not afraid independent thought were the ones to be let go. The suck-ups, fornicators of the dog with less than stellar intellect seem to thrive. Unfortunately this corporate model exists everywhere. Don't let it get you down, as you were looking for a job when you found this one, and don't take it personally. Think in terms of what the job enabled you to do in the last 25 years (Hunting, fishing, camping, vacations, a roof over your head etc.). That time is something that they will never be able to take away. You may be surprised what your 25 years of experience may get you moving forward, don't undervalue your skill set. Good luck in your future endeavors.

I'm 23 years in with my company and have slowly learned over time that I am merely a number. I still do my best and everything that is asked of me, but expect nothing more than whatever remuneration has been promised, and hope that my ID will get me through the door in the morning.

Last edited by HVA7mm; 12-01-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:

2020 rolls on......
Same thing happened to my son, 13 loyal years and they laid him off with no intention of hiring him back and 5 days pay. He fought it and got a hell of a lot more than 5 days pay. It's only a lay off if you are going to be hired back. By rights they owe you x amount$ for every year worked. You now have time on your hands so do some work and see what you are really entitled to, it really is in your best interest. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
I’d sure like a crystal ball just like the one your using...mine is all cloudy right now...things are okay, but I could use some clearing up as your model seems to be working for you...
Zip
Sorry Zip i have no idea what you're referring to. Crystal ball?
I have no idea what his future holds. If you're referring to the presumptions i made about the op being employed by the same company for 25 years. Yup I'll stand by those.

My future is cloudy too. I'm going on 6 months without full time employment. 10 years, then 1 day i was told, get your stuff and go home.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:06 PM

Just looking into severance pay and it is quite complicated. Legal minimums but also common law comes into play as well.

If it was a temporary layoff I am not sure they owe anything until termination. If it was a permanent layoff then they definitely owe you a fair severance.

Seems like 8 weeks is the statutory minimum but common law amount would be significantly higher. The only kicker is that if you already signed paperwork agreeing to severance might be stuck with what you got.

As others mentioned definitely worth looking into.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Just looking into severance pay and it is quite complicated. Legal minimums but also common law comes into play as well.

If it was a temporary layoff I am not sure they owe anything until termination. If it was a permanent layoff then they definitely owe you a fair severance.

Seems like 8 weeks is the statutory minimum but common law amount would be significantly higher. The only kicker is that if you already signed paperwork agreeing to severance might be stuck with what you got.

Is it not 1 week pay per year employment up to a maximum of 8 weeks? Unless otherwise stated in your contract of course.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:

2020 rolls on......
A guy who held a good job, and made a company hood money for 25 years is the exact opposite of worthless, I empathize as I am in the same boat come Dec 03, hopefully I’m back by February! I can almost guarantee you’ll find something else soon, but in the meanwhile enjoy some time off, I plan on doing a ton of fishing, and can’t wait!!!
Old 12-01-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Sorry Zip i have no idea what you're referring to. Crystal ball?
I have no idea what his future holds. If you're referring to the presumptions i made about the op being employed by the same company for 25 years. Yup I'll stand by those.

My future is cloudy too. I'm going on 6 months without full time employment. 10 years, then 1 day i was told, get your stuff and go home.
No worries wannabe, my reference was mostly around your guess as to the op’s money saved, things paid paid off, good pensions...we really can’t guess everyone’s spot in life...that’s about what I was referring to, sorry I should have made my comments more clear. We may all be in the same game, but we all have different ways of playing it out...nothing is as it seems...I wish for work to come to all those that need it...That’s my Christmas wish for those hit hard...I apologize to you as I didn’t want to sound like a...well you know! 👍
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-01-2020, 09:07 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear about your job loss.

Hope you make it through ok.

Its pretty obvious this forum is occupied by posters that on the majority dont worry about making weekly bill payments.

I know many within the media business that suffered the same fate.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Is it not 1 week pay per year employment up to a maximum of 8 weeks? Unless otherwise stated in your contract of course.
I do not believe there is a maximum, there are minimums though.

My understanding is they have to give proper termination notice (values in link below) or equivalent termination pay. Termination notice is 8 weeks if over 10 years.

https://www.alberta.ca/termination-pay.aspx

Then there is common law (common practice). This looks like it can be a week (or weeks) per year. Only way you are getting this is if your company offers it to you, is written in your contract or you get a lawyer involved.

Gets even more complicated due to loopholes for certain industries etc.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterngather View Post
Sorry to hear about your job loss.

Hope you make it through ok.

Its pretty obvious this forum is occupied by posters that on the majority dont worry about making weekly bill payments.

I know many within the media business that suffered the same fate.
Nice point I like that radio commercial...We're all in the SAME storm BUT not in the same boat
Old 12-01-2020, 09:36 PM

Had the same thing happen this spring after 31 years with the same company. Never again will I put company 1st. It feels like such a betrayal after you give them the best years of your life only to get kicked to the curb without so much as a heads up. Worst of all was finding out most of our crews were replaced with temporary foreign worker scabs.
Screw them, I decided to go back to school and finish my degree and I am now looking for a new career that will not be affected by the boom and bust cycle. Hope new opportunities come your way and good luck in your future endeavors.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Nice point I like that radio commercial...We're all in the SAME storm BUT not in the same boat
Yeah exactly.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post

8 weeks is termination pay (based on years of service) severance is another thing.

The OP if full-time continuous salary employment I would suggest OP should be looking anywhere between 2-4 weeks severance pay per year of service depending on compensation level, job title, and other things.

I feel it’s commendable that a person stuck it out with one company for 25 years. Would suggest employee was likely a good person, worker, and was loyal. 3 great attributes I know I would like to see on a resume.

2021 is going to start off much worse than 2020 was economically. IF these vaccines arrive and are effective globally, I would predict a strong end to 2021 economically. That should be beneficial to all of us.

Last edited by Penner; 12-02-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:04 AM

Very sorry to hear! Tough times for way too many right now. Best of luck finding new employment. Take every penny the turd will give you!

Just a thought, Red Bullets has a thread about jobs on a B C mega project. Maybe check it out!

Last edited by zabbo; 12-02-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps.257 View Post
Had the same thing happen this spring after 31 years with the same company. Never again will I put company 1st. It feels like such a betrayal after you give them the best years of your life only to get kicked to the curb without so much as a heads up. Worst of all was finding out most of our crews were replaced with temporary foreign worker scabs.
Screw them, I decided to go back to school and finish my degree and I am now looking for a new career that will not be affected by the boom and bust cycle. Hope new opportunities come your way and good luck in your future endeavors.

I know what you mean. Very very few companies are loyal to their employees.

They talk the talk but when it come to walking the walk they run in the opposite direction.

I consider myself very fortunate to have worked for two who stood by me.
Unfortunately circumstances got in the way, first the NEP and then a broken marriage. Mine.

But I've worked for some that would sell their own mother for a dime.

The last was the worst. They fired me then claimed I had quit. That after going above and beyond for many years.

I found out, Labor relations do not have your back, if the company you work for is chums with a government official or officials.

Good luck with your future.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-02-2020, 08:21 AM

I feel for you, JustFishin73. Had the same thing happen to me recently, years of sacrifice and loyalty rewarded with a walk out the front door.

I would definitely follow the advice of some of the members here and look into getting help with your remuneration - and make sure you apply for EI as soon as you can. I messed up and missed out on assistance I otherwise would have earned. I was able to get enough, along with my cashed out shares, to make it for a few months. Used the time to reconnect with family (I had neglected them in trying to move up the ladder) and did some work on the home that I had been neglecting as well. Was able to get some much-needed rest, and even got out hunting and fishing with the kids, while keeping the budget low. Incredigirl really appreciated that I was being a good house-husband.

By divine providence I was able to get a new position just as my money was running low. It was tough, in my industry I'm competing with others who are younger, more mentally agile and don't carry as much obsolete information in their brains. I enlisted a resume consultant as well, to help modernize my resume and ensure it can flow through the electronic and manual "pre-screening" filters effectively.

We're pulling for you! Hang in there!
Old 12-02-2020, 11:11 AM
Banned

Job lose is always difficult but as they say one door closes another will open. I find there is always a job for people that want to work. You will find your new calling and best way to get a job is to use your contacts to put u ahead of the line for new positions . As they say it isn’t what you know that gets u a job it is who u know that does the most for u. Having someone within a company vouch for u goes a long way to landing that new job then just sending in a resume to company x.

As for severance and signing the package you can always get a lawyer to show you were under duress that is why you signed it . Also it is always good to see what past employees that were let go got for severance and u can use that to your advantage as it sets prescience that the company should follow for all termination especially if your employment agreement didn’t clearly specify what u are entitled to.

I think the ME generation will do better in new world as they know there is no WE there is me and you(the company). I look out for me and can’t count on you . When labour is hard to find me puts the boots to you (the company) to get a raise etc etc because when times are tough you put the boot to me and send me packing . And the Me generation always have their eyes open for something better and jump ship as it is better for me or use it to get more money out of you. As for pensions they are becoming the thing of the past and most are defined contribution than defined benefit so doesn’t really care where u work.
And they don’t stick around for broken promises it it put up or shut up for the Me generation. I think we can all learn a new lesson from the Me generation.

Take care ! My wife went through this and took time to collect herself then found a job then looked for a job she really wanted and moved to that one and now all is in the past as the door did open.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
8 weeks is termination pay (based on years of service) severance is another thing.

The OP if full-time continuous salary employment I would suggest OP should be looking anywhere between 2-4 weeks severance pay per year of service depending on compensation level, job title, and other things.
That is based on common law, just to make OP aware the only way you will clearly know what may be likely is by getting a lawyer involved. Depends on industry, job title and I imagine things like current state of the economy can have some effect.

It isn't like termination pay where you just look it up in the governing regulation.