Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: What are you doing.....
eating it before you get the results 75 32.75%
waiting for the results before eating it 154 67.25%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2020, 12:32 PM

Default Cwd

what are your thoughts on eating it.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:14 PM

Didn’t wait last year on my mullie buck. Came back positive and family decision was to no longer eat it. What ya don’t know kinda thing. I got enough health issues without adding potentially more.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:19 PM

Our group has had several positive mule deer bucks. Always wait for the tests to come back.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V45 sabre View Post
Our group has had several positive mule deer bucks. Always wait for the tests to come back.
are you eating the meat after you get the results?
Old 11-30-2020, 01:25 PM

No we were told by margo prybus how to dispose of it.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:57 PM

This debate rages on over at that other site. It surprises me how many will knowingly eat a positive deer and even ask for the ones guys have to throw away. Hearing their do's and don'ts about what to eat and what not to eat and what kills the Prion is interesting to say the least. They seem to have a million reasons why it is safe to eat, non science based from what I read about it.

Soon after the deer pit fiasco, we were at camp wainwright for deer, last season of the hunt and a monster snow storm blew in on the Friday. Sat morning, those of us who came back, had to wait for range patrol to check roads. Shane the bio gave us a impromptu CWD crash course. He really opened up a lot of eyes on why that cull was so important. Mine included. I would not have eaten one before, sure as heck wouldn't after.

On a side note, I personally know of a man who died from mad cow within the last 5 ish years. I'm sure he never thought he would be the one in a billion and that those yummy steaks and burgers would take him out. Not a fun way to go from what I heard his wife say. Today, tomorrow or years from now someone will be the first case where it jumps from deer to human.

And this is the first year I hunted a CWD zone NE of here. I will absolutely wait for the test results if I were to harvest a deer in that wmu and will never willingly eat a positive deer. Why take the risk.

But to each their own.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:36 PM

People have been eating CWD infected cervids for decades. There is no known transmission from deer to humans.

I'm not trying to minimize any concern that anyone may have, nor advocate that you should eat an infected deer.

A quote from myhealthalberta.ca:

Quote:
A negative test result does not guarantee that the animal is not infected with the disease, but does make it less likely.
I do not live in a CWD zone. I have however taken a moose from Wainwright and I did in fact consume much of that moose before the negative result was provided to me.

Being a senior, I have fewer concerns with my longevity, than say a person in their springtime of life
Old 11-30-2020, 04:02 PM

The thing I'm curious about is this: Obviously it will likely be necessary to butcher and freeze the animal while waiting on the test results, so what are the protocols for 'disinfecting' the surfaces and tools used? I've never heard anyone discuss this side of things. Do people worry about contamination of surfaces and tools? Can anyone point me in the direction of information on how to deal with this? What do you guys do?
Old 11-30-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
This debate rages on over at that other site. It surprises me how many will knowingly eat a positive deer and even ask for the ones guys have to throw away. Hearing their do's and don'ts about what to eat and what not to eat and what kills the Prion is interesting to say the least. They seem to have a million reasons why it is safe to eat, non science based from what I read about it.

Soon after the deer pit fiasco, we were at camp wainwright for deer, last season of the hunt and a monster snow storm blew in on the Friday. Sat morning, those of us who came back, had to wait for range patrol to check roads. Shane the bio gave us a impromptu CWD crash course. He really opened up a lot of eyes on why that cull was so important. Mine included. I would not have eaten one before, sure as heck wouldn't after.

On a side note, I personally know of a man who died from mad cow within the last 5 ish years. I'm sure he never thought he would be the one in a billion and that those yummy steaks and burgers would take him out. Not a fun way to go from what I heard his wife say. Today, tomorrow or years from now someone will be the first case where it jumps from deer to human.

And this is the first year I hunted a CWD zone NE of here. I will absolutely wait for the test results if I were to harvest a deer in that wmu and will never willingly eat a positive deer. Why take the risk.

But to each their own.
Yale University did autopsy’s on 44 Alzheimer’s patients.
13 per cent had CJD.
A Hunter I knew got Ataxia, a degenerative disease of the nervous system.
Symptoms of Ataxia mimic those of being drunk, slurred speech, falling, uncoordinated movements.
The doctor said he had no idea of how he got it.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
People have been eating CWD infected cervids for decades. There is no known transmission from deer to humans.

I'm not trying to minimize any concern that anyone may have, nor advocate that you should eat an infected deer.

A quote from myhealthalberta.ca:

I do not live in a CWD zone. I have however taken a moose from Wainwright and I did in fact consume much of that moose before the negative result was provided to me.

Being a senior, I have fewer concerns with my longevity, than say a person in their springtime of life

There are many cases of humans dying with unknown sources of various wasting "disease" infections (Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD)).
There are many human deaths where CWD could be and even are suspected as a possible source of infection.

Currently, Testing people for CWD post mortem is not really a thing that is done.

Let's remember that science and governments told the public that eating BSE infected meat was Safe, until it wasn't.

As CWD will soon be confirmed in the areas I hunt, it is inevitable that I will have to decide on personal risk.
I'm getting old enough that I just might not worry about CWD, personally.
But I can't make that decision for others or in good conscience feed possible CWD infected meat to others.
It's pretty tough (socially) to eat a whole moose by yourself without sharing some meals or meat.

Little in life is 100% safe and nothing is guaranteed.
I'll get the meat tested and go from there.

Re' tools and knives.
Clean them as best you can.
If CWD is present, exposing yourself to the least amount possible is about all you can reasonably do.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-30-2020, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
Yale University did autopsy’s on 44 Alzheimer’s patients.
13 per cent had CJD.
My uncle died of CJD, not pretty.

I didn’t think too much about this until I noticed that the WMU I hunted this year is mandatory submission for mulies but not whitetails. Everything I’ve seen on CWD leads me to think that if the mule deer are at risk in that zone the WTs must be too, we’ve seen them in the same spots this year. I’ll be submitting my WT buck anyway I think.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
The thing I'm curious about is this: Obviously it will likely be necessary to butcher and freeze the animal while waiting on the test results, so what are the protocols for 'disinfecting' the surfaces and tools used? I've never heard anyone discuss this side of things. Do people worry about contamination of surfaces and tools? Can anyone point me in the direction of information on how to deal with this? What do you guys do?

The CWD prion is borderline indestructible. The hunting regs recommend to soak in 50/50 disinfecting bleach (key, must be disinfecting!) and water for one hour. Avoid cutting into the spine and spleen. I did this with my knives after my MD buck. Next time I’ll use a knife that I’m okay with throwing away. Maybe even do gutless method next time.

I researched the subject heavily this fall. Here is what I know from the US universities. The prion itself can last for years in the environment, and recent a study has show that the prion can grow in plants and remain active. This suggests that there is a possibility that CWD is in the food supply via plant harvests.

Another study used CWD infected meat that was fed in coyotes. The CWD prion is still active in the feces afterwards, meaning that it survived the digestive tract!

Heat only kills the prion at 1800 degrees. So. Not gonna cook it off your tools either.

CWD has not been known to infect anything via consumption yet. CWD prions have only been able to infect cattle via direct injection into the brain.

In terms of is it safe to eat, well, nobody recommends doing it! All government bodies advise against consumption of CWD positive meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2020, 06:05 PM

Stopped hunting the Prairie zones when this disease started. Rather hunt away from the CWD areas and the risk of loosing the meat.

I guess you can never be certain though,my son shot an elk in 312 a couple of years ago, all skin and bone. The F&W took it and gave him another tag, never heard back about what was wrong with the Bull.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:52 PM

took my mule deer head into be tested even though zone 160 is neither mandatory nor on the recommended list for testing, it came back positive much to my complete surprise. We had already eaten the backstraps and some sausage. I will be disposing of the rest of it. Wish I had of waited for the results before spending $300 on sausage, and pepperoni's.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:25 PM

How much negative tested processed meat comes back from the butcher with CWD? I don't think those prions are easily removed from their equipment.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:01 PM

I am curious to know if those who are processing and eating meat on animals before testing results come back, have also had a butcher business do the processing. Do they accept it? Do they need to know the results?

I have not hunted a zone requiring testing but after watching a video on YouTube of someone dying from prion disease, it was disturbing enough for me to not want to eat a positive tested animal. It is one way I truly hope I don’t die or watch someone I love die. Not that there are a whole long list of pleasant ways to go ...

I recommend searching on YouTube to help make your decision even though it isn’t confirmed that people will get it from deer. I do not want to be the first proven case on that lol
Old 11-30-2020, 08:24 PM

Mine was cut (and deboned) ourselves.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Stopped hunting the Prairie zones when this disease started. Rather hunt away from the CWD areas and the risk of loosing the meat.

I guess you can never be certain though,my son shot an elk in 312 a couple of years ago, all skin and bone. The F&W took it and gave him another tag, never heard back about what was wrong with the Bull.
There’s testing for it in the foothills zones now give it 5 years and it’ll be into the mountain zones and then a few more years and I’ll be bc’s problem. 312 is now a mandatory mule deer test zone same with 304-305 and a lot more.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:53 PM

Ate the heart and tenderloins off my 212 whitetail doe this year before the results. Happy they came back quickly as negative, wife wasn't gonna eat it til she knew.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
There’s testing for it in the foothills zones now give it 5 years and it’ll be into the mountain zones and then a few more years and I’ll be bc’s problem. 312 is now a mandatory mule deer test zone same with 304-305 and a lot more.
Yes, very concerning. But at the same time, several prairie zones which previously had been mandatory testing were taken off that list for this season. Based on that it's apparently possible for CWD to stop being a concern, or at least become less of a concern, in a particular area. Can anyone shed light on how it is determined to 'de-list' a CWD area?
Old 11-30-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
Yes, very concerning. But at the same time, several prairie zones which previously had been mandatory testing were taken off that list for this season. Based on that it's apparently possible for CWD to stop being a concern, or at least become less of a concern, in a particular area. Can anyone shed light on how it is determined to 'de-list' a CWD area?
Removing units from mandatory testing has nothing to do with any potential human health risks.

The CWD program is underfunded, and in order to track CWD's progress into new areas they had to make a choice of where to spend their limited budget.

Thankfully, "free" voluntary testing is available for deer, elk moose from any area of the province.

IMO, a person should get their animals tested from all known CWD units and all bordering units regardless of testing requirements.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-30-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Removing units from mandatory testing has nothing to do with any potential human health risks.

The CWD program is underfunded, and in order to track CWD's progress into new areas they had to make a choice of where to spend their limited budget.

Thankfully, "free" voluntary testing is available for deer, elk moose from any area of the province.

IMO, a person should get their animals tested from all known CWD units and all bordering units regardless of testing requirements.
So where do I find a complete list of 'known' CWD units? The list in the regs seems quite misleading and open to misunderstanding the way it's presented.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:01 AM

[QUOTE=teberle;4278451]So where do I find a complete list of 'known' CWD units? The list in the regs seems quite misleading and open to misunderstanding the way it's presented.[/QUOTE

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/bcd6...season-map.pdf that’s last years map of locations.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:22 AM

I used to care about CWD until this other weird disease flew in from Asia and a whole bunch of people actually died from it.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:08 AM

thanks for all the replies.
im holding off till I get the results.

The one thing that come up and I was never asked is was why they don't ask you at the butchers.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
thanks for all the replies.
im holding off till I get the results.

The one thing that come up and I was never asked is was why they don't ask you at the butchers.
I know that some people have no desire to cut their own meat. But that right there is a good example and incentive as to why "you" should cut your own meat. You really never know whose meat you are getting from a butcher and as you are implying, an infected animal may have been processed by said butcher. I would think that a butcher in a CWD region should ask for a test result before accepting an animal...or maybe they do not care, or maybe they accept the risk of passing on the disease.......all questions?
Old 12-01-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I know that some people have no desire to cut their own meat. But that right there is a good example and incentive as to why "you" should cut your own meat. You really never know whose meat you are getting from a butcher and as you are implying, an infected animal may have been processed by said butcher. I would think that a butcher in a CWD region should ask for a test result before accepting an animal...or maybe they do not care, or maybe they accept the risk of passing on the disease.......all questions?
yes I agree.
I will say that I was one of those guys who used a butcher for everything. this will be the first deer that my son and I will attempt to do are selfs
Old 12-01-2020, 11:09 AM

I tried to get results from website www.srd.alberta.ca/hunting/cwd but the server seems to be down ? Overloaded maybe ? been waiting over two weeks .
Old 12-01-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
I tried to get results from website www.srd.alberta.ca/hunting/cwd but the server seems to be down ? Overloaded maybe ? been waiting over two weeks .
not an uncommon problem, I heard up to months to get the results
Old 12-01-2020, 01:13 PM

Got my positive result back in 15 days from head drop off...