Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2020, 12:06 AM

Default Meat grinder

Looking to buy a meat grinder for a gift what are decent ones and where to go besides cabelas.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:35 AM

I have a LEM big bite. I think it’s the 1/2hp model. Well built, quiet and easy to clean up since it’s all stainless. LEM makes all sorts of attachments that you can buy that will match up with all their grinders like a jerky attachment, mixer, patty maker etc... I wanted the cabelas but ended up with this and don’t regret it. I know some will say get a bigger model but I can’t keep up to how fast it will grind so it’s perfect for my needs.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:16 AM

Check out Halfords website I am also in the market for one and have been checking out their inventory and pricing. I still haven’t ruled out the Cabelas one. Was watching to see if the Cabelas ones were gonna go on sale this weekend but they never did.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:28 AM

I have a LEM mighty bite, a smaller size grinder as I'm not in big production anymore breezes through 20 lbs. quick and easy. Not sure where to buy one I bought mine on Amazon for $240 a year ago now it's $440.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:40 AM

Default Meat Grinder

Check out CTR in west Edmonton .
Old 11-29-2020, 09:48 AM

Halford's - Edmonton
CTR - Edmonton/Calgary
Butchers & Packers - Edmonton

These are your in person options. I would suggest a Cabelas Black Friday or Boxing Day deal will be your best deal and best grinder if you go for their better grinders.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:41 AM

Weston and LEM grinders are the perennial top of the best list and have been for years. Never used a Cabela's one so no opinion on them, the Weston 3/4 horse is more than most home users need but it works great. So do the LEMs.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:07 AM

I've been hearing really good things about the 'Meat! Your Maker' grinders. I've heard a lot of problems with people having Lem, Cabelas, and a few other mid range grinders having the auger heat up and start cooking the meat inside the grinder. There could be a number of user errors causing this problem as well, and it might not be the grinder.

A used Hobart, Pro Cut, Biro, or butcher boy are worth the money they sometimes pop up for. I'd sooner buy one of those used than a new high end home user one.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I've been hearing really good things about the 'Meat! Your Maker' grinders. I've heard a lot of problems with people having Lem, Cabelas, and a few other mid range grinders having the auger heat up and start cooking the meat inside the grinder. There could be a number of user errors causing this problem as well, and it might not be the grinder.

A used Hobart, Pro Cut, Biro, or butcher boy are worth the money they sometimes pop up for. I'd sooner buy one of those used than a new high end home user one.

Heating up the auger is user error, no two ways about it.

The problem with all of the commercial ones I have seen is their huge size. Most are 8-15 horse or even larger. That and the fact even the 3 horse model costs north of 4 grand. Have you seen Hoobart or Biro in the smaller sizes?
Old 11-29-2020, 11:27 AM

Where we butcher we have the Cabela's 3/4HP model and the guy on burger detail is kept busy. There have been days where that thing has ground meat for 10 hours straight when we were processing enough animals and it did not have an issue.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:29 PM

Just checked today and Cabelas marked all their grinders down $50 today. I’m sure I’ve seen them mark them down $100 off before. Gonna wait to see what Boxing Day sales bring.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Heating up the auger is user error, no two ways about it.

The problem with all of the commercial ones I have seen is their huge size. Most are 8-15 horse or even larger. That and the fact even the 3 horse model costs north of 4 grand. Have you seen Hoobart or Biro in the smaller sizes?
Ya, I've seen the restaurant sized ones that are #22 with a horse and a half under the cover.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:56 PM

Default 3/4 HP Carnivore $50.00 off at Cabelas Nov 29th and 30th

$50.00 off at Cabelas Nov 29th and 30th. $499.99 for Carnivore 3/4 HP commercial.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13908...mpaign=20-w22h

This seems to be about as good a sale as they have on these.

I have an older model of this grinder and it works great.

Phil
Old 11-29-2020, 03:15 PM

Default don't want

Chinese plastic gears LEM
Old 11-29-2020, 04:44 PM

Hope this helps.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-29-2020, 06:03 PM

High Caliber Products is another option. Grinders and sausage stuffers on sale now also.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:21 PM

I've got a Cabelas 1 HP grinder and can't say enough good about it. I don't know how many tons, yes tons, its ground already with no problems. I've also never overheated it and mine predates the new ones with the fancy frozen sleeve that goes over it.

Buy the foot pedal though, as far as I'm concerned its a must have accessory.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I've got a Cabelas 1 HP grinder and can't say enough good about it. I don't know how many tons, yes tons, its ground already with no problems. I've also never overheated it and mine predates the new ones with the fancy frozen sleeve that goes over it.

Buy the foot pedal though, as far as I'm concerned its a must have accessory.
This is the same grinder I have and I recommend it as well. The foot pedal is really nice, especially if you grind directly into ground meat bags. Start and stop is easy and keeps the area cleaner.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-30-2020, 08:41 AM

I placed a order with cabelas online now just have to wait for it to arrive
Old 12-01-2020, 07:04 AM

I have the cabelas 1hp with foot pedal control for close to 10 years no problems.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:20 AM

I'm pretty sure the higher end Carnivore grinders from Cabela's are made by Weston. because they're identical to some of their models. I have Cabela's 3/4 HP and really like it. With 2 ice packs for it I can switch out part way through to keep the auger housing cold on bigger jobs.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbezol View Post
I'm pretty sure the higher end Carnivore grinders from Cabela's are made by Weston. because they're identical to some of their models. I have Cabela's 3/4 HP and really like it. With 2 ice packs for it I can switch out part way through to keep the auger housing cold on bigger jobs.
I know Cabelas used to sell the ice packs for these separate but I checked online the other day and they are no where to be found on the website. I know the grinder comes with 1 but would like to grab a second so can swap them out like you said.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
I know Cabelas used to sell the ice packs for these separate but I checked online the other day and they are no where to be found on the website. I know the grinder comes with 1 but would like to grab a second so can swap them out like you said.

Yeah when I buy something like this I usually get all the accessories I'd want right away in case they change up the models and they become unavailable. That said...

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/82617...-cool-tek-pack

If you look at the stock in Ottawa they still have some. In my experience if you call the store or go to the customer service desk they can bring in an item they're out of from another store at no charge.

Could also check BassPro.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbezol View Post
I think the motor is the same, however, I've heard that the grinder head is different inside.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:55 AM

I can say with 100 percent great reviews, you will not go wrong with the Cabelas Carnivore grinder.
I have a 1HP and that thing chews through everything. Mine has chewed through likely thousands of pounds by now.

As for the auger heating up, yes, that is indeed user error. It stems from the user tightening the plate ring to much. When putting everything together that ring that holds the blade and plate in only needs to be finger tight. Any tighter and it ends up snugging the auger up to the plastic bushing which creates the heat (obviously)
other than that, I would by a Cabelas grinder again and again and again, But I don't think I'll need to for a very long time.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:10 AM

Just seen the Cabelas Boxing Day flyer came out this morning. Carnivore Grinders are gonna be $80 off regular price. I knew if I waited longer then Black Friday they would be on sale for cheaper. Gonna buy one on the Boxing Day sale. I’m thinking 3/4hp will be plenty for what I’m gonna use it for. Does anyone know if the 3/4hp will connect to the Cabelas meat mixer as well or is it just the bigger models 1hp and 1 3/4hp? If so how does it work on the mixer?