Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2020, 02:46 PM

Default Undersubscribed Doe Tags 148 - Worth it this year?

So earlier this fall I picked up some undersubscribed doe tags (both mulie and whitey) for 148. Figured with those and the white tail general my odds would be pretty good for getting the boys (14 and 16) their first big game animal. Plan was just to hunt some of the grazing leases.

Now after reading the "Suffield" thread about how tough conditions are out there, (did pull a young bull out of there about 5 years ago) I'm considering pulling the pin. Was going to head down next week for 2 or 3 days at the end of the season and stay in the Hat. As it will just be the 3 of us, not another truck with another adult, burying my pickup in the middle of no where on the windblown prairie with two teenage sons is not my idea of a fun time! Maybe back when I was 16 and on the farm, but now now Considering hanging the the tags from the xmas tree this year!

Was out in on some EID last weekend in 152 with them. More trucks then deer were seen, many more trucks as saw zero whitetail. I'll either try that again this weekend or nice "Discovery AB" spot up in 216 I haven't tried yet.

As for the last weekend in 148, I'll decide that after I get a bit more first hand feedback here from you gents (and ladies!) that have the first hand experience for the area this season.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2020, 03:47 PM

I have never hunted 148, but have hunted 150 extensively in past years.

I won’t patronize by by saying “any day in the field is better than... “.

Instead, drive the truck as far in as you can safely go, put on some good boots or snowshoes, and go for a long hike. View the piles of snow as your ticket to hunting with little or no competition.

Use satellite images to choose a likely-looking area. Then pick apart that smaller piece of country, rather than a quick look at a larger area. Follow tracks and see where they lead, then from a distance use a spotting scope to find what’s hidden in the buck brush.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2020, 04:24 PM
Banned

Two teenagers would be perfect!
Bring 3 shovels
Good to go!
Old 11-19-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Two teenagers would be perfect!
Bring 3 shovels
Good to go!
I don't know if I'd ever refer to these two as "highly motivated!" in that regard ........... good kids but not the first to volunteer to shovel the driveway!
Old 11-19-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I have never hunted 148, but have hunted 150 extensively in past years.

I won’t patronize by by saying “any day in the field is better than... “.

Instead, drive the truck as far in as you can safely go, put on some good boots or snowshoes, and go for a long hike. View the piles of snow as your ticket to hunting with little or no competition.

Use satellite images to choose a likely-looking area. Then pick apart that smaller piece of country, rather than a quick look at a larger area. Follow tracks and see where they lead, then from a distance use a spotting scope to find what’s hidden in the buck brush.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure, all good advice. But am I hiking 750m in snow shoes or 7500m? I'm one of those guys that has nothing but respect and admiration for the hardcore sheep hunters, and I'm in pretty good shape myself, but I'd never sheep hunt, cause that's hardcore! I scoped out a nice area north of the hat that backs onto the River, but thinking I'll be hiking a ways. I'll stew on it a while......
Old 11-19-2020, 04:54 PM

I was out in 116 today which is a kissing cousin to 148. It had a pretty good melt yesterday and the day before yesterday, it was not to bad walking. I was NOT out in 148.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-19-2020, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
I don't know if I'd ever refer to these two as "highly motivated!" in that regard ........... good kids but not the first to volunteer to shovel the driveway!
Perfect!
Good life lesson
I’d get “stuck” and not put the truck in 4wd on purpose. Just so that they can have a little outdoors experience

Nothing good in life comes easy
Old 11-19-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Perfect!
Good life lesson
I’d get “stuck” and not put the truck in 4wd on purpose. Just so that they can have a little outdoors experience

Nothing good in life comes easy
Oh they're too smart for that. Was going to get them pitching square bales at the farm this summer, but got there before they had any bailing done. My Dad was quite excited and hoped to work them "city boys!"........ next time!

Thanks for the info and PM's. We'll see what shakes out later next week........
Old 11-19-2020, 06:48 PM
Banned

Good luck!
I hope you guys have a great time!
Old 11-19-2020, 07:09 PM

Stay tuned to the weather. I live in the area. I personally would not attempt it for the reasons you stated but I'm pretty soft now I suppose.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:32 PM

Of course it will be worth it if you go.
It can't if you don't.

I'll bite my tongue on the smart lazy kid stuff....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-19-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Oh they're too smart for that. Was going to get them pitching square bales at the farm this summer, but got there before they had any bailing done. My Dad was quite excited and hoped to work them "city boys!"........ next time!

Thanks for the info and PM's. We'll see what shakes out later next week........
Just curious have you tried beating them it works wonders

Last edited by Smoky buck; 11-19-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Just curious have you tied beating them it works wonders
Tongue is bleeding.
Only one way to stop it.

I'm thinking it's not the kids that need a beating.

Get out there Kawibunga,

Make the best of it.
Your dad will approve.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-19-2020, 09:21 PM

We did two days in 148 with 5 people,end result was 4 WT does,1 WT buck and 8 Mule does. The people I hunted with have permission everywhere so it was easy to find the deer and shoot them. The recovery...will just say it was a lot of work and I officially feel old. If you have a sled...bring it!
Old 11-19-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
We did two days in 148 with 5 people,end result was 4 WT does,1 WT buck and 8 Mule does. The people I hunted with have permission everywhere so it was easy to find the deer and shoot them. The recovery...will just say it was a lot of work and I officially feel old. If you have a sled...bring it!
Forgive my ignorance here but the 5 of you killed 13 deer in 2 days? That is an incredible number of deer killed.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacty View Post
Forgive my ignorance here but the 5 of you killed 13 deer in 2 days? That is an incredible number of deer killed.
Yes it’s a ridiculous amount of deer I agree on that. Reason why it looks like a slaughter was due to our work schedule we all only had two days off to hunt this month.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
For sure, all good advice. But am I hiking 750m in snow shoes or 7500m? I'm one of those guys that has nothing but respect and admiration for the hardcore sheep hunters, and I'm in pretty good shape myself, but I'd never sheep hunt, cause that's hardcore! I scoped out a nice area north of the hat that backs onto the River, but thinking I'll be hiking a ways. I'll stew on it a while......
We farm in 148 about 40 miles north of the Hat. If you come bring a shovel and good boots. Most of the side roads are snowed in and impassable. All the back trails are snowed in. Only roads that are accessible are those that are plowed and the only plowed roads are the number roads or those leading the residences. Can't get around in the fields. I drive a 4x4 with winter tires and high clearance and I wouldn't venture off any road that isn't plowed and definitely not in the fields. Drifts are easily 2- 4 feet deep on the roads and in the field/coulees 5-7 feet. It took my neighbor a entire day to plow his yard out enough to get to the main road to leave his place. Virtually no melting. It will be tough hunting since it definitely won't be 'truck hunting'.

Last edited by Mark; 11-21-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:22 PM

OK, so we're going to give it a go, weather looks nice. Only issue to date is the lease holders I've called have not answered their phone or gotten back to me yet.

Plan A - Go for a walk on the 1000 acres Ross Creek ACA site. Issue is I don't want to be wandering around there with a rifle if guys are still chasing pheasant in the snow. So here's hoping it quiet Friday morning & afternoon. If there's anyone on it, it's plan B time. Would guys even be chasing pheasant this late in the snow?

Plan B - continue to call the lease holders (who are not asking for 7 days notice) on the promising looking land for permission. Yes there are some spots with a name and no contact requirement specified, but I'd prefer to still speak to someone to give them a heads up just incase, as well they may have some friendly helpful advice. ( or they might be sick of talking to guys and tell me to pound sand! )

Hopefully we can get the boys a non CWD doe of some sort! Will update afterwards........
Old 11-25-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
OK, so we're going to give it a go, weather looks nice. Only issue to date is the lease holders I've called have not answered their phone or gotten back to me yet.

Plan A - Go for a walk on the 1000 acres Ross Creek ACA site. Issue is I don't want to be wandering around there with a rifle if guys are still chasing pheasant in the snow. So here's hoping it quiet Friday morning & afternoon. If there's anyone on it, it's plan B time. Would guys even be chasing pheasant this late in the snow?

Plan B - continue to call the lease holders (who are not asking for 7 days notice) on the promising looking land for permission. Yes there are some spots with a name and no contact requirement specified, but I'd prefer to still speak to someone to give them a heads up just incase, as well they may have some friendly helpful advice. ( or they might be sick of talking to guys and tell me to pound sand! )

Hopefully we can get the boys a non CWD doe of some sort! Will update afterwards........
Don't contact leaseholders when they say no contact required. There is a reason they say that..............and that is they do not want to be contacted.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Don't contact leaseholders when they say no contact required. There is a reason they say that..............and that is they do not want to be contacted.
OK, so if there is a name, fax #, preferred phone #, but they say nothing about contacting them......... it's good to go and preferred that way? So in the example below, I'd contact them if I wanted to camp, otherwise I'm off to the races?.......... It doesn't specifically say "no contact required"

Leaseholder Conditions as Approved by the Minister

• Camping by permission only.
• Motorized vehicles allowed on existing roads only.

Specific Access Conditions for this Disposition
No recreational management plan, restrictions, prohibitions or terms and conditions of use have been established by a Local Settlement Officer or Director.

Last edited by Kawibunga; 11-25-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:35 AM

UPDATE;

So it was well worth the trip, (friendly lease holder called me back so was good to go) and a lot more work and adventure than one would normally have for two muley does, but well worth the accomplishment! Will post pics and very short writeup on the Rifle Harvest thread........ thanks all for the advice and heads up...... we got it done!
Old 11-30-2020, 10:49 PM

So glad to hear you and the young men went out.

And congrats on the success!
Judging by the smiles in the Harvest thread, is sure was worth it.

This is the kind of stuff that inspires me to get off my butt.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
UPDATE;

So it was well worth the trip, (friendly lease holder called me back so was good to go) and a lot more work and adventure than one would normally have for two muley does, but well worth the accomplishment! Will post pics and very short writeup on the Rifle Harvest thread........ thanks all for the advice and heads up...... we got it done!
Appreciate the follow up and subsequent update. Seems there are a lot of posts asking for help and then as soon as the help is offered the OP disappears, never to be heard from again. Threads like these really show the true AO community.

Congrats again!

DR
Old 12-01-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Appreciate the follow up and subsequent update. Seems there are a lot of posts asking for help and then as soon as the help is offered the OP disappears, never to be heard from again. Threads like these really show the true AO community.

Congrats again!

DR
Thanks DR! A "please" and a "Thank you" some respect, consideration and appreciation goes a long way. This place is a wealth of knowledge. There are guys and gals on here, young and...... well let's say wiser and more grizzled than most who are full of great info and experiences. But to use an analogy, it's always best to give someone a smile or nod, a firm shake of their hand and say Hi to introduce yourself, before expecting someone to ask you to sit down for a coffee............ And nice Muley Doe pic! Good Eats!

Last edited by Kawibunga; 12-01-2020 at 09:43 AM.