Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-17-2020, 08:56 PM

Default CWD Testing Faster This Year?

Or did I just get lucky? Deer was shot the morning of Nov. 3rd dropped off later that night. The freezer was almost full that night. I just got the email today saying the result was negative. Last year it took 3 months to get the results for a head that was dropped off on Nov 5th.

Is this going to be a new trend or just some random fluke? If the tests are really being conducted much faster then thank you to whom ever found a way to speed up the process.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-18-2020, 07:16 AM

I got mine in 10 business days. Way faster than last year
Old 11-18-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I got mine in 10 business days. Way faster than last year
Head dropped off Nov 3rd morning results Nov 12th. With any luck second head back this week and sausage made by end of the month.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:00 AM

hopefully faster . Submitted Friday ,waiting . Buddy who is in central zone said it took 2 weeks , came back positive .
Old 11-18-2020, 09:01 AM

Last year mine was dropped off November 8th and I got the results in March of this year. I couldn’t imagine it being slower.

Funny thing is I threw out my 118 Mule deer after it coming back positive for CWD but this year testing is only voluntary in that WMU so in all respect I just wasted that meat.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Last year mine was dropped off November 8th and I got the results in March of this year. I couldn’t imagine it being slower.

Funny thing is I threw out my 118 Mule deer after it coming back positive for CWD but this year testing is only voluntary in that WMU so in all respect I just wasted that meat.
???

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-18-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
???
The idea being that a lot of deer will now not be tested so the guys who shoot them will have no idea if their animal had the disease or not. I have a hard time eating one knowing it has the disease but ignorance is bliss I guess. My 2019 buck showed no signs of being infected.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:48 AM
Banned

I was three months a couple years ago. I didn’t get anything last year. I just dropped my head and a buddies head yesterday. Hoping for quicker results this year and from the sounds of it, it looks promising. I don’t suspect that either will be positive after watching them for a while and after skinning them, but you never know.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
???
Or was it the voluntary submissions that you were questioning?

A lot of hunters don’t know that in 2020 the mandatory head submissions were dropped in a lot of WMU’s where there is a high percentage of positive results coming back. Testing has nothing to do with public safety by stopping the consumption of diseased animals.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
The idea being that a lot of deer will now not be tested so the guys who shoot them will have no idea if their animal had the disease or not. I have a hard time eating one knowing it has the disease but ignorance is bliss I guess. My 2019 buck showed no signs of being infected.
How does that equate to the meat from your diseased deer being wasted?

Like you, I would not nor let others knowingly eat CWD positive meat.
Mandatory or Voluntary testing doesn't change that fact for me.

It will be interesting to see if the new voluntary CWD testing WMUs have a similar number of tests performed this year, particularly curious if hunters don't test their deer just because it's now voluntary.

Great to hear the results are coming back quickly.
Hope they can keep it up through the entire season.

---

Edit: Yes. I am aware of the new voluntary testing areas.
It's too bad the government wouldn't find the money for the testing program to continue as required for human health protection. It would be devastating if we learn that CWD does infect people, and that the government allowed people to get sick/die due to their negligence, as happened in Britain with BSE.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."

Last edited by walking buffalo; 11-18-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:13 AM

I dropped my head off on Nov7. Haven’t heard back yet. I’m hoping soon but it is WMU 160 and it’s not required, but they know it’s established there so I am doing it for the consumption safety aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
How does that equate to the meat from your diseased deer being wasted?

Like you, I would not nor let others knowingly eat CWD positive meat.
Mandatory or Voluntary testing doesn't change that fact for me.

It will be interesting to see if the new voluntary CWD testing WMUs have a similar number of tests performed this year, particularly curious if hunters don't test their deer just because it's now voluntary.

Great to hear the results are coming back quickly.
Hope they can keep it up through the entire season.

---

Edit: Yes. I am aware of the new voluntary testing areas.
It's too bad the government wouldn't find the money for the testing program to continue as required for human health protection. It would be devastating if we learn that CWD does infect people, and that the government allowed people to get sick/die due to their negligence, as happened in Britain with BSE.

So I went down the rabbit hole on CWD this year. I learned that the prions glue themselves to stainless steel. So I did the bleach and water treatment for 1 hour as advised. It did a number on the equipment, and the science argues whether this even is effective or not. But there does not appear to be conclusive evidence that this equipment is now garbage. Transmission occurs specifically in spinal or neurosurgery, and these are hunting knives so I’m now doing either.

Turns out the prions can survive 800 degree heat. 1800 degrees is where they become inert and no longer pose a risk.

They have infected cattle with bse via CWD, but only by injecting cwd directly into the brain. Coyotes can consume CWD animals and actually pass the CWD through their digestive systems. Crazy part, the CWD prions are still active even after going through the digestive tract!

Furthermore, CWD prions are present in deer excrement. It turns out these prions are then absorbed into plants and are still active. Now this where the science ends and more study is needed. But to me, that suggests that CWD may be widespread in the food chain through agriculture already. There’s an unsettling thought.

Currently CWD cannot spread through consumption, but out of precaution its best to not consume such products. But to what extent this infecting agriculture is unknown. Ultimately the fear is if one prion makes the change where it can infect via consumption and all hell breaks loose.

Going forward I will be using “disposable” knives when hunting in CWD zones. Cdn tire has some buck knives for $12.49 right now. I bought 5. I will use them to gut, skin, then butcher into pieces and away test results. If positive, knife gets thrown away. If negative, washed, sharpened and used for the next one!

I used several knives in my process this time and for all the work that will be necessary to make them look good again I’m not looking to do that every time I harvest from a CWD zone.

Wished I did the research before the shot. But hey, live and learn.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post
So I went down the rabbit hole on CWD this year. I learned that the prions glue themselves to stainless steel. So I did the bleach and water treatment for 1 hour as advised. It did a number on the equipment, and the science argues whether this even is effective or not. But there does not appear to be conclusive evidence that this equipment is now garbage. Transmission occurs specifically in spinal or neurosurgery, and these are hunting knives so I’m now doing either.

Turns out the prions can survive 800 degree heat. 1800 degrees is where they become inert and no longer pose a risk.

They have infected cattle with bse via CWD, but only by injecting cwd directly into the brain. Coyotes can consume CWD animals and actually pass the CWD through their digestive systems. Crazy part, the CWD prions are still active even after going through the digestive tract!

Furthermore, CWD prions are present in deer excrement. It turns out these prions are then absorbed into plants and are still active. Now this where the science ends and more study is needed. But to me, that suggests that CWD may be widespread in the food chain through agriculture already. There’s an unsettling thought.

Currently CWD cannot spread through consumption, but out of precaution its best to not consume such products. But to what extent this infecting agriculture is unknown. Ultimately the fear is if one prion makes the change where it can infect via consumption and all hell breaks loose.

Going forward I will be using “disposable” knives when hunting in CWD zones. Cdn tire has some buck knives for $12.49 right now. I bought 5. I will use them to gut, skin, then butcher into pieces and away test results. If positive, knife gets thrown away. If negative, washed, sharpened and used for the next one!

I used several knives in my process this time and for all the work that will be necessary to make them look good again I’m not looking to do that every time I harvest from a CWD zone.

It's a Big hole....

IF CWD becomes infectious and harmful to humans....

Say goodbye to ALL wildlife that can become CWD positive.
Governments will force a complete extermination of Wild deer, elk, etc....
For human safety.

IF CWD is shown to infect animals/people through plants, BOOM!
North America's agricultural system will collapse overnight.
The whole world's economic system will receive a shock unlike anything ever before.
North America's Bread Basket will become obsolete, declared a hazardous waste zone.
Market Capitalists are watching this closely, imagining opportunity from the fallout.

The potential catastrophes resulting from CWD becoming harmful to humans are so great that governments have basically played ostrich to avoid having to take real precautions on their watch.

IF CWD jumps to humans in a harmful way, Covid will be remembered as a nothing burger....

Old 11-18-2020, 01:20 PM

I'm curious to see how many deer come back positive for covid 19 and that's what killed them not the shot placement. Hahahaha 🤪🤪🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 11-19-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post

I have shot derer , moose and Elk, and deer in CWD zones for the last 15 years and not one single animal came back positive.....FS
Old 11-19-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I was three months a couple years ago. I didn’t get anything last year. I just dropped my head and a buddies head yesterday. Hoping for quicker results this year and from the sounds of it, it looks promising. I don’t suspect that either will be positive after watching them for a while and after skinning them, but you never know.
What would you expect to see in a CWD deer by watching or skinning it?
Old 11-20-2020, 12:38 AM

Default Quick results

Shot two deer in a CWD mandatory submission area Nov 3. Submitted heads Nov 6. Results back Nov 18. One pos (buck) one neg ( doe ) Both good fat and looking healthy.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
What would you expect to see in a CWD deer by watching or skinning it?

Behaviors and fat content from what I've read. If what I've read isn't accurate, I'd love to read some more about it.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
I have shot derer , moose and Elk, and deer in CWD zones for the last 15 years and not one single animal came back positive.....FS
I’ve had 3 positive deer.

LC
Old 11-20-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Behaviors and fat content from what I've read. If what I've read isn't accurate, I'd love to read some more about it.
Sounds like any buck that’s been rutting for a bit.

They can be positive for CWD and not show any signs of having it. It is only when the deer get farther along with the disease that they show any signs of having it.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:05 AM
Banned

Ok. From what I read about behaviours is that they will kind of act like cattle with mad cow. Apparently I need to read some more. Maybe I read older studies or something. I havent had, nor have any of my normal hunting partners had one come back positive yet. Fairly small "test group" of about 9 deer.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:34 AM

I have seen one doe that was just walking in circles and became aggressive when we tried to scare it off. F&W was called, when the officer came out he euthanized the deer. Around 2 months later I received a call from the officer informing me the deer had tested positive for CWD.

Anyways Im glad to see most people are getting their results much faster this year. Perhaps there is one good about 2020 afterall.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-20-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Ok. From what I read about behaviours is that they will kind of act like cattle with mad cow. Apparently I need to read some more. Maybe I read older studies or something. I havent had, nor have any of my normal hunting partners had one come back positive yet. Fairly small "test group" of about 9 deer.

the range is 12-24 months before symptoms present themselves. So once the symptoms are visible, it’s been a long time in the making.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Had 2 deer out of 4 tested last year that were positive. One was a mature Mule buck, the other a 2 yr. old Whitetail buck. Neither showed any sign of having anything wrong - healthy, strong, early rutting behavior with good back fat. They were harvested 5 miles apart and a third WT buck from the same area was negative.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Had 2 deer out of 4 tested last year that were positive. One was a mature Mule buck, the other a 2 yr. old Whitetail buck. Neither showed any sign of having anything wrong - healthy, strong, early rutting behavior with good back fat. They were harvested 5 miles apart and a third WT buck from the same area was negative.
Alright. I will definitely look more in to it. Like I said, the studies I read may have been old. I know they are still studying this.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:35 AM

Signs and symptoms are obviously in the later stages of CWD. I know I would be passing on a deer that was spinning in circles and frothing at the mouth.
Dropped my Mulie buck head in the Cabelas freezer last sat.. Fingers crossed
Old 11-21-2020, 09:37 AM

Mine came outta 106.. What I've read is there hasn't been any cases in that zone? Seems odd to me.. anybody ever have a positive case from there?
Old 11-21-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Mine came outta 106.. What I've read is there hasn't been any cases in that zone? Seems odd to me.. anybody ever have a positive case from there?
From the AB CWD maps, no CWD positives in 106 through 2019.
https://www.alberta.ca/chronic-wasti...e-updates.aspx

CWD is really spreading westward at a high rate.
It is west of HWY 2 now.

Those in bordering wmus to known CWD zones should seriously consider getting your deer tested.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
From the AB CWD maps, no CWD positives in 106 through 2019.
https://www.alberta.ca/chronic-wasti...e-updates.aspx

CWD is really spreading westward at a high rate.
It is west of HWY 2 now.

Those in bordering wmus to known CWD zones should seriously consider getting your deer tested.
Thanks!