Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2020, 04:29 PM

I wish I could make a shot like that. I love seeing vids with a vapor trail too.

Congrats to Nolan on a great deer.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:24 PM

Great shot! Congrats.

I personally love long range shooting as well as closer shots. My longest shot was a buck at 437 yards.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:55 AM

So you guys are mad that he put in the time to practice, become proficient at ranges further then he shot, used the equipment designed to make that shot just because its further then you like? What happened to hunters supporting hunters? If you dont like it then dont say anything, something that a lot of parents obviously didnt teach their kids. Id rather see someone be well versed and have a game plan then the average guy who slings lead at the deer running away until theyre out of bullets or the guy who picks up their bow the day before archery season, but because you like to get within 5 yards of an animal and you can smell them then that makes your way the only way and gives you the right to criticize others. Its a wonder that anyone wants to post a story or picture on here
Old 11-18-2020, 07:10 AM

Not my thing but I respect the talent it takes to make the shot

Distance should not be the deciding factor but instead ones personal skill level. Personally I don’t care as long as the hunter is within their personal limits be it 50yards or 1000yards

When it comes to shooting my issue is with those who take shots beyond their means. If you miss or wound more game then you kill that is when I believe an ethnics talk is needed

Congrats to the OP
Old 11-18-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Not my thing but I respect the talent it takes to make the shot

Distance should not be the deciding factor but instead ones personal skill level. Personally I don’t care as long as the hunter is within their personal limits be it 50yards or 1000yards

When it comes to shooting my issue is with those who take shots beyond their means. If you miss or wound more game then you kill that is when I believe an ethnics talk is needed

Congrats to the OP
That's a great point. If someone's rifle isn't set up for 500+ yard shooting and have never practiced at such range, they have no business shooting an animal at those ranges.

If your set up for it and got the time in, all the power to ya.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifthunter View Post
So you guys are mad that he put in the time to practice, become proficient at ranges further then he shot, used the equipment designed to make that shot just because its further then you like? What happened to hunters supporting hunters? If you dont like it then dont say anything, something that a lot of parents obviously didnt teach their kids. Id rather see someone be well versed and have a game plan then the average guy who slings lead at the deer running away until theyre out of bullets or the guy who picks up their bow the day before archery season, but because you like to get within 5 yards of an animal and you can smell them then that makes your way the only way and gives you the right to criticize others. Its a wonder that anyone wants to post a story or picture on here
I call it the "dry fly syndrome", and it is quite prevalent on here unfortunately.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
I call it the "dry fly syndrome", and it is quite prevalent on here unfortunately.
Not just here. I’ve been a member on a dozen different forums since the inception of the Internet. It’s the same on every one of them.

Good advice for people who always feel the need to leave a negative comment...

Old 11-18-2020, 08:57 AM

Congratulations to you both on a great hunt! Thank you for sharing! Wishing Nolan strength!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend

Last edited by teledogs; 11-18-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:17 AM

It's funny how this guy gets lit up. Puts in his time at the range, has the correct dope to make an amazing first round hit and he's clearly done his homework.

I would surmise his plan would be the same as somebody who shoots from 150 and flinches or jerks the trigger and misses, or gut shots a deer - chamber another round and try again. What else is there to do ?

Great shot, great work.
Of one who has done well
Old 11-18-2020, 09:55 AM

There are lots of guys who have no business shooting at anything alive beyond 50 yards. Yet when they shoot a deer in the keister at 200 yards that’s OK? It’s all relative.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-18-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There are lots of guys who have no business shooting at anything alive beyond 50 yards. Yet when they shoot a deer in the keister at 200 yards that’s OK? It’s all relative.
Hey, but they probably had a "plan".
Old 11-18-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
x2
Old 11-18-2020, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yep its a two way street There are lots of guys who have no business shooting at anything pass 200 yards etc.but it still happens but like you said It’s all relative.

The vid was a good hunt great shot I thank them for sharing .

Last edited by savageguy model 111; 11-18-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageguy model 111 View Post
Yep its a two way street There are lots of guys who have no business shooting at anything pass 200 yards etc.but it still happens but like you said It’s all relative.

The vid was a good hunt great shot I thank them for sharing .
There is a lot of guys who need to rethink shot selection in general.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

Good advice for people who always feel the need to leave a negative comment...

Haha
This meme is horse doo doo! Who are you to tell me what to do!?!? (Insert politcal statement here) (add some grammatically incorrect insults with misspelled words here) ...

Then in my next post I will talk about how I will be taking a break from social media for 3 months only to post 2 hours later
Old 11-18-2020, 06:13 PM
Banned

Default Thanks I have to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
There is a lot of guys who need to rethink shot selection in general.
You think I Guess your Right .
Old 11-18-2020, 06:18 PM

Here's my take. The deer taken wasn't the "thing". The eight hundred yards was, that's why it was prominently mentioned. That to me is wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-18-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageguy model 111 View Post
You think I Guess your Right .
Every year I talk to guys with the story of missing 10 or more deer to fill a tag. The reasons vary from running animals to Hail Mary shots beyond their skill

There is definitely too many guys that need to worry less about an animal getting away and focus more on making a clean shot
Old 11-18-2020, 06:36 PM

I have personally shot several times with Nathan out to 1000M his rifle is an absolute tack driver right or wrong he rifle is made for this shot I have seen guys take 2-300 yard shots with open sight rifles at game. I’ve seen guys shoot the legs off deer at 100yards. If your gear is capable of making the shot and your confident in your ability I think it’s fair game.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:59 PM

One heck of a shot and please pass on my congratulations to the successful hunter!
Old 11-18-2020, 07:11 PM

Default Wow

Awesome shot ,awesome friendship, awesome memories. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:05 PM

Nice work! Looks like Nolan put in the time and made a great shot! Now it's time for Nolan to take out some of those coyotes!
Old 11-18-2020, 09:57 PM

As previously mentioned shooting game at any distance, whether it be 25 yards or 1000 yds is very relative and should be evaluated and determined by the skill level, competence and confidence of the the shooter. Ethically evaluating the odds of losing a wounded animal should always be of paramount concern. After watching the video it would appear the shooter was somewhat in disbelief that he actually made the shot. To me this brings into question the level of confidence and competence. In simple terms, if one is not confident of making a shot at a game animal at any range, should one attempt the shot?
Old 11-18-2020, 10:15 PM

That's awesome.
I am not yet comfortable at 800 yards, but that is my deficiency, where you guys are obviously well, prepared for that range.
Any naysayers of your hunt can do something that I can't and that is kiss my butt.
Well done.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
As previously mentioned shooting game at any distance, whether it be 25 yards or 1000 yds is very relative and should be evaluated and determined by the skill level, competence and confidence of the the shooter. Ethically evaluating the odds of losing a wounded animal should always be of paramount concern. After watching the video it would appear the shooter was somewhat in disbelief that he actually made the shot. To me this brings into question the level of confidence and competence. In simple terms, if one is not confident of making a shot at a game animal at any range, should one attempt the shot?
So, this fall I was butchering a steer. 20 feet away, steer has his head down in the oat bucket eating. Man, was I confident. Done this dozens of times. Just as I squeeze he whips his head up and around... good thing my level of confidence didn't preclude me from loading two rounds in the rifle.

Just last week I had a coyote come in the yard. 200 yards out, just before entering the bush he stopped with the top 1/2 of his body showing through the grass. I squeezed one off and the space that was occupied by coyote went blank. I had all the confidence in the world that I could make the shot, but not having a "spotter" I had to walk 198 of those 200 yards to find out whether the spot held a coyote, or only tracks in the snow. We all express our emotions differently, but at 196 yards into the trek the apprehension of the unknown was still real.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
Well said sir
Old 11-19-2020, 08:12 AM

Well done to both of you. For the people that don’t approve, I’m sure they wouldn’t have made that shot on a day that wasn’t as perfect as it was that day. No wind. Probably around 15 degrees. Stationary animal. I’m sure that rifle is worth more than lots of peoples entire collections. I bet they’d hit a gong 10 out of 10 times under those same conditions. Congrats
Old 11-19-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
So, this fall I was butchering a steer. 20 feet away, steer has his head down in the oat bucket eating. Man, was I confident. Done this dozens of times. Just as I squeeze he whips his head up and around... good thing my level of confidence didn't preclude me from loading two rounds in the rifle.

Just last week I had a coyote come in the yard. 200 yards out, just before entering the bush he stopped with the top 1/2 of his body showing through the grass. I squeezed one off and the space that was occupied by coyote went blank. I had all the confidence in the world that I could make the shot, but not having a "spotter" I had to walk 198 of those 200 yards to find out whether the spot held a coyote, or only tracks in the snow. We all express our emotions differently, but at 196 yards into the trek the apprehension of the unknown was still real.

What in the world were you thinking????

You're not out in the field hunting a wild animal. You're killing a domesticated animal. It's not target practice. Tie the animal to a fence or a post and put the frigging barrel on the back of it's head! Aim it so it goes through the brain and kills the animal instantly.

I can't believe anybody would stand 20' away from a domestic animal and try to kill it.........I just can't believe it.................
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-19-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
What in the world were you thinking????

You're not out in the field hunting a wild animal. You're killing a domesticated animal. It's not target practice. Tie the animal to a fence or a post and put the frigging barrel on the back of it's head! Aim it so it goes through the brain and kills the animal instantly.

I can't believe anybody would stand 20' away from a domestic animal and try to kill it.........I just can't believe it.................
I have a rope. Post up your phone # and I will call you next time we are killing one. How much lead time will you need to get ready to come down and show me how it is done?
Maybe if we video it we could win the 10,000 on AFV - I'll split it with you.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:26 PM

The special circumstances of the shooter are an important context here and considering those, I enjoyed the video and congratulate him. It is always inspiring and admirable to see people persevere through challenges.

There are also elements of the video which seem highlight the distance of the shot, which some may not agree with, particularly if the special circumstances were not present. I personally have this view and feel it's fair and reasonable.

The blanket statements re: fair ball as long as a shot is within one's capabilities, seem to miss the consideration that probabilities change with distance. Practiced "repeatability" is not the same thing at 800yds vs. 200 yds.

I think many of the responses here are to the trends in certain hunting shows/styles, as opposed to Nolan's particular hunt. Cheers again.