Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2020, 06:24 AM

Default 800 yard mule deer heart shot video

What’s up everyone! Thanks for checking out our video. I wanted to begin this with a little background information as I know this will be a little controversial because of the distance of the shot. I want to start off by mentioning that our friend Nolan was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis earlier this year. For those of you who are not familiar, MS is a disease that effects the central nervous system causing a variety of symptoms including Double vision, muscle weakness, trouble with sensation, and trouble with coordination. Due to this debilitating disease Nolan, who is an avid outdoorsman and hunter has had to rethink the way he can hunt. When I found out Nolan had enough priority to draw for an antlered mule deer in my area I knew I had the perfect spot for him to have an opportunity at his first mule deer, but I also knew this spot could potentially only present a shot that would exceed any shot the average hunter would ever consider taking. After talking to Nolan about the potential to to seal the deal on his first Mule deer buck he jumped at the opportunity, applied for his draw and was successful in drawing a tag. After drawing the antlered mule deer tag we knew (replace with then )we needed to get to work and spent countless hours shooting out to 1000 meters with my semi custom 300RUM with hand loaded 220gr Hornady ELD-X bullets, and my gunworks br2500 rangefinder programmed for my custom loads. After many many rounds I was confident he could make an ethical shot at an outrageous distance if the opportunity presented itself. With all this being said I hope you enjoy the video and I hope anyone out there who doesn’t think they can do something because of circumstances beyond their control gains some kind of motivation or hope from this video. Without further ado check it out!

https://youtu.be/cDCj4lVSBy0
Old 11-14-2020, 08:23 AM

Heck of a shot. Nice deer. Congrats!
Old 11-14-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbezol View Post
Heck of a shot. Nice deer. Congrats!
It was an awesome experience, so cool to see the vapour trail.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:43 AM

Nice mulie
Perfect shot
Old 11-14-2020, 11:17 AM

Hell of a shot, congrats
Old 11-14-2020, 12:42 PM

Coyotes didn't take long. good video. Congrats.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
Coyotes didn't take long. good video. Congrats.
Should have reloaded and got a couple.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:47 PM

Well done boys. Good job on the scout and helping out buddy get back to what he loves!
Old 11-14-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Should have reloaded and got a couple.
I’m going back to shoot some coyotes for sure, could hear them but couldn’t see them, need some more snow to flatten the grass a bit.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:08 AM

I appreciate the backstory to this because I'm not a big fan of these long shots, but I'm happy to hear all the range practice paid off with a great first mule deer for a guy in a really crappy situation.

Congrats!!
Old 11-15-2020, 09:45 AM

800 yards is not Hunting, it's Sniping.

Grizz
Old 11-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
I wasn't, aware that there was a mandatory range at which killing an animal was not considered part of the hunt . Some archers do not think anything. Killed with a rifle is not really hunting so before one starts casting stones onr should look in the mirror
Cat

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Agreed,far too much chance of wounding. The long range hunting?? shows are encouraging the average hunter to think they can reach out past 400 + yards.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:55 AM

Personally don't agree with shooting animals that far too much chance of error ,I'm not going to say that it's not hunting I'm just going to say that I'd rather shoot them at 5 yards than 800 yards I fine that much more challenging.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2020, 12:16 PM

For the circumstances I have no issue with it at all. Obviously he practiced (a lot) and he made a perfect shot, and the buck was dead pretty much on the spot. I am not capable of making that shot or anything close to it, so I don't. Nolan proved conclusively that he can.

Congrats to Nolan.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-15-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
For the circumstances I have no issue with it at all. Obviously he practiced (a lot) and he made a perfect shot, and the buck was dead pretty much on the spot. I am not capable of making that shot or anything close to it, so I don't. Nolan proved conclusively that he can.

Congrats to Nolan.
x2
Old 11-15-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I wasn't, aware that there was a mandatory range at which killing an animal was not considered part of the hunt . Some archers do not think anything. Killed with a rifle is not really hunting so before one starts casting stones onr should look in the mirror
Cat

x2
Old 11-15-2020, 12:33 PM

X3

Not my thing.

To the OP

Did u guys have a plan if he messed the shot up?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-15-2020, 12:34 PM

Don't know how many big bucks I could have tried shooting at extended ranges, I know I could have put a bullet into some of them and wounded them, missed or killed them. I prefer to shoot at stationary animals at less than 400 yds and then only with a good solid rest, even then things can go very wrong. I probably only shoot 2000 rounds of centerfire a year these days, down from about 5000 a few years ago, enough to know how easy things can go wrong especially at extended yardage that I won't take those shots on live targets. It's essentially using live animals for target practice.

I just don't get or understand the need to take hail Mary shots at animals way far out there regardless of range finders, ballistic programs, wind meters, etc. Bragging rights? I dunno, each to their own. I wish TV shows, articles and websites promoting this type of "hunting" would just go away.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:07 PM

Not my cup of tea, but that is one hell of a rifle shot.
Not sure why you were whispering?????
Old 11-15-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat

What? I have no idea what you are trying to say.....
Old 11-15-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
What? I have no idea what you are trying to say.....
Seems pretty simple to me. Some people don’t like long range shooting and don’t feel that taking an animal at extended ranges is hunting. Just like some bow hunters think taking an animal with a rifle is no challenge and not really hunting. I think the point Cat was making is everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that’s all it is.

The OP has the gear to make shots like the one in the video and they put in the time practicing because it sounds like his buddy might not have a lot of years left where he can physically get out there and they knew in this particular area that it may be a longer than normal shot. In the video it looked like the shooter has some mobility issues already just by watching him walk.

I say good on the OP for putting the time in practicing with his buddy and getting him out there. And good on the shooter for making a fantastic shot!

Long distance shooting at animals may not be for everyone but it is a perfectly legal form of hunting. If someone doesn’t like or agree with it start your own thread and get a discussion going. Don’t come on this thread and ruin what would be a very proud moment for the OP and shooter by voicing your opinion, because that is all that it is...your opinion.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
X3

Not my thing.

To the OP

Did u guys have a plan if he messed the shot up?
Probably the same plan I have for every time I take a shot at an animal - If I mess up the shot I will do my very best at recovery of the animal. What other plans do you usually have?
Old 11-15-2020, 07:41 PM

I like to challenge myself and get closer. For me, even if I do t get the shot, if I get close enough to smell my animal it's wondrous.

But I have four good limbs and a bunch of toes and fingers and they all work pretty much the way they're supposed to. And I am fit and healthy. For me it works.

For Nolan, what, we're going to say, 'sucks to be you. Guess you can't get out and feel your animal anymore.' No.

He put in the time and humped out there and earned his meat.

That's hunting in my book.

Kudos.

Colin
Old 11-15-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
I appreciate the backstory to this because I'm not a big fan of these long shots, but I'm happy to hear all the range practice paid off with a great first mule deer for a guy in a really crappy situation.

Congrats!!
Ditto ...obviously the shooter had practiced a bunch ..not your typical hail mary we so often hear about .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2020, 08:49 PM

Great hunt and awesome shot. Practice pays off and you put a buck down. Congrats.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Seems pretty simple to me. Some people don’t like long range shooting and don’t feel that taking an animal at extended ranges is hunting. Just like some bow hunters think taking an animal with a rifle is no challenge and not really hunting. I think the point Cat was making is everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that’s all it is.

The OP has the gear to make shots like the one in the video and they put in the time practicing because it sounds like his buddy might not have a lot of years left where he can physically get out there and they knew in this particular area that it may be a longer than normal shot. In the video it looked like the shooter has some mobility issues already just by watching him walk.

I say good on the OP for putting the time in practicing with his buddy and getting him out there. And good on the shooter for making a fantastic shot!

Long distance shooting at animals may not be for everyone but it is a perfectly legal form of hunting. If someone doesn’t like or agree with it start your own thread and get a discussion going. Don’t come on this thread and ruin what would be a very proud moment for the OP and shooter by voicing your opinion, because that is all that it is...your opinion.
That was exactly what I was implying , Positrac!
the hunter in this particular case is likely not as able bodied as most, but even if he was, he was practiced and trained to make that shot by the owner of the rifle.
I quit making what I consider long range hunting shots quite a few years ago, but do not begrudge those that still can and do.
Cat
Old 11-15-2020, 11:59 PM

Nice shot and a nice buck.

Long range shooting is all about practice and having the right gear. Anyone who takes it up as a hobby and gets to learn their load/gear is a lethal marksman in the field.

It's just like anything else, practice makes perfect. The Fudd who has been sitting on the some box of Core-Lokt's for a year is going to have a greater chance of wounding an animal at 100 than the practiced marksman at 1000.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

You are absolutely correct. Nolan can barely walk on a good day. He has had to change up how he looks at hunting and sometimes closing the distance isnt possible. A prone shot without the using his low extremities was best case scenario and he practiced for it. He may not have many chances again to chase a buck so I'm proud the two of them got this one.

Wish more people would read the post before commenting and understand what MS does to a person.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:29 PM

That's amazing. Good on you for helping your friend make it happen.