Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-30-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
That effort rates a score of 210 B&C points. That's Boom & Carry points btw.
Thanks KEG, an easy shot does not equal an easy recovery! But the boys want to go hunting again, so mission accomplished!
Old 11-30-2020, 09:36 PM

I really enjoyed reading about your adventure! I had a tough recovery in the Porcupines this year, so I can relate, but would definitely do it again. Thinking about a portable winch next time I go alone.
Thanks for sharing, and congratulations to you and the boys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Thanks KEG, an easy shot does not equal an easy recovery! But the boys want to go hunting again, so mission accomplished!
Old 11-30-2020, 10:22 PM

Pretty good season for the freezer. First up was the boy trying to harvest his first big game animal in his first hunting season. Pretty tough conditions with hot weather and a tonne of hunting pressure. But we kept getting up early and being out well before first light and that seemed to give us some breathing room in the mornings. We knew the elk were around as every morning provided fresh sign but they weren't spending any time in the open during day light. We had decided that the last day we would give er one more go for elk in the am and then hunt some sharptails.

Hiked into a spot that had seemed promising the day before and it took no more than a few chirps with a cow call and they were on their way. Lead elk stopped maybe 30 yards away but the only shot available was the head. Not a shot I like at all but the boy has shown nothing but steady shooting, rifle is zeroed at 100 yards. Some quick deliberation resulted in giving him the nod to take the shot. Dropped her right there and it was all over.

November rifle season around home the focus was on the wifes cow moose tag. Have a spot that there are always moose around and the first morning out we found some but they ran into the neighboring land before my wife could get a shot at one. During the process we happened to find a couple whitetail bucks that would be perfect for the boy if one would happen by. Set up a ground blind, had some snacks, a couple laughs and at last light this fellow showed up right about where he was supposed to.

Next weekend my wife got to fill her cow moose tag and long story short she earned this one after having about everything that could go wrong, go wrong in a different zone that she's had two moose tags in. I don't think I've ever seen some one so worked up over a cow moose tag but given her history I don't blame her. Couldn't ask for a better hunting partner and there aren't to many women out there that will shoot a moose and then butcher the whole thing herself.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:00 PM

A Simply outstanding effort well rewarded, Kowinbunga!
Congratulations to all involved, I have brought deer up out of a river valley myself and it takes a lot of ingenuity at times!! LOL
Cat
Old 11-30-2020, 11:09 PM

2020 whitie.165 kinda deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
2020 whitie.165 kinda deer.

Congrats Rog! Nice deer! Love the prop rod lol. I thought it was a freak dropped tine at first
Old 12-01-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
I don't have any of the amazing animals that are shown here, but do have a great experience. I posted about hunting in 148 with all the snow late in the season. After all the advice and info, decided to give it a shot and make the best of it. Hunted the SK River Valley straight north of Medicine Hat. For those that have not seen it, it's straight up and down some places. Hence the adventure! So the story in 140 characters or less
That's quite the adventure and great to get the boys on that first harvest! Congrats Robert and great writeup!

DR
Old 12-01-2020, 08:35 AM
Banned

Great content on this thread, congrats to everyone who was successful. I get tag stew for winter. Spent 10 days in the bush during november, never saw a qualifier. Lots of deer around but i always seem to be late to the party. Only success was helping a few friends fold their tags, which is just as fullfiling as getting your own. Better luck next year I hope.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:57 AM

2020 had a bad start in the spring, first time in years I couldn't find a mature bear, but things got better in the fall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200925_085657.jpg (95.4 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg 20201006_190523.jpg (42.1 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg 20201122_121711.jpg (44.8 KB, 430 views)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:07 AM

Was able to get out one last time with my kids to finish filling the freezer. Brought my 5 year old along with us this time for her first hunt and she loved it. It was a little cozy and a challenge to keep the peace while sitting in a blind with 4 kids Turned out to be a great evening and memory together.

Made a video on YouTube to share the story if you're interested... https://youtu.be/l1EHufPsfys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201124_170041.jpg (25.6 KB, 335 views)
Old 12-02-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
2020 had a bad start in the spring, first time in years I couldn't find a mature bear, but things got better in the fall
Great season! I know your pain in the bear thing. I ended up killing about a 25 year old sow with approx 18” noggin. Nothing to write home about. But the bucket heads eluded me.

This spring my 12 year old will be on the trigger for a bear. Looking forward to it!

Congrats again. Nice work!
Old 12-03-2020, 07:17 AM

After 8 days, shoveling out the truck(it had chains on all 4 corners)
Countless miles walking threw the deep snow, and wind. I finally found this guy, and was supper happy to put my tag on him.
Last day and in the last few hours I had to hunt before I had to come home.
He is my best mule buck to date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84E0D0A6-B6C8-4CA1-861E-7988C0459BC5.jpg (26.7 KB, 537 views)
Old 12-03-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
After 8 days, shoveling out the truck(it had chains on all 4 corners)
Countless miles walking threw the deep snow, and wind. I finally found this guy, and was supper happy to put my tag on him.
Last day and in the last few hours I had to hunt before I had to come home.
He is my best mule buck to date.
Dandy buck leeelmer, Way to get it done. Congrats!
Old 12-03-2020, 08:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Wow factor all around here...some great big game animals, first ever harvested and over the top recoveries...congrats to all.....going to put a pot of water on and boil my tag now

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-14-2020, 08:55 PM

Late post. Finally connected with one this year. Long time coming.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:07 PM

Just love those black horned elk!!

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 12-16-2020, 09:35 AM

Congrats some nice looking critters
Old 12-16-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkster View Post

Late post. Finally connected with one this year. Long time coming.

congrats that's a big accomplishment
Old 12-16-2020, 11:38 AM

Nothing too spectacular, but this was my first ever hunting season & first-ever deer. Got her on the 3rd to last day of the season after 5 previous days of only seeing deer running at 500+ yards. She stood up out of her bed at 30 yards. 308, 150 grain, couldn't miss.

The feeling of accomplishment was overwhelming. Thanks for all the help you guys from this forum have given a first-time hunter.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynchie View Post
Nothing too spectacular, but this was my first ever hunting season & first-ever deer. Got her on the 3rd to last day of the season after 5 previous days of only seeing deer running at 500+ yards. She stood up out of her bed at 30 yards. 308, 150 grain, couldn't miss.

The feeling of accomplishment was overwhelming. Thanks for all the help you guys from this forum have given a first-time hunter.
Great post.......Merry Christmas!
Old 12-16-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Congrats on your first and best of luck in future seasons
Old 12-16-2020, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

Well done
Old 12-22-2020, 06:44 PM

First was my long anticipated antelope. I was very excited to get this tag this year. I saw a group of about a half dozen does and watched them for a while when this guy popped out from behind a small hill. There was miraculously a group of trees between me and them and I managed to get within about 50 yards. I could here a truck coming closer the whole time and just when I was ready to shoot they spooked. I followed them for a few miles and finally managed to get between him and his does. He kept circling around me to go after them and I dropped him at about 150 yds.
My White tail was the only buck I'd seen this year after 7 days out and I managed to take him on the second last day of the season. I arrived at the spot where I hoped to sit for a while and not 5 minutes later saw a doe run over a hill 100 yds away. The buck came barreling behind her and they headed straight for me. I shot when he paused to work his way around a bush and he dropped 10 yards from where he was hit. Good thing too as there was oddly no blood trail whatsoever.
Overall happy though my sheep draw went unfilled. Looking forward to seeing that antelope on my wall.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2020, 03:00 PM

Thumbs up 2020 season

Awesome to see everyone’s success in 2020. It was a difficult year with Covid, started the year with spring bear to do some social distancing with an attempt to get a Pope & Young bear over bait. Got it done with a 18 9/16” skull after the required 60 days.

Had a terrible start to the fall big game season and missed all of September, got rolling in the second week of October, and had a decent November and wrapped it up with my cow elk on December 19th...the second last day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B40825C3-3DFE-4BC1-ACF5-870091A95D4D.jpg (43.3 KB, 153 views)
Old 12-30-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Very nicely done. Welcome to the brotherhood.
(A few sisters too)
Old 12-30-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
Awesome to see everyone’s success in 2020. It was a difficult year with Covid, started the year with spring bear to do some social distancing with an attempt to get a Pope & Young bear over bait. Got it done with a 18 9/16” skull after the required 60 days.

Had a terrible start to the fall big game season and missed all of September, got rolling in the second week of October, and had a decent November and wrapped it up with my cow elk on December 19th...the second last day
I see a piggy and no bear. Must see bear... Lol

Congratulations on a pretty successful season!
Old 12-30-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
I'd say your season on average was pretty good for sure.
Congratulations. 3 awesome animals.