Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2020, 08:45 AM

I'm brand new here, and have tried to read through the multiple threads that touch on the topic, but haven't really found anything that has addressed my particular question/concern yet. I'm a pretty new hunter so am looking to glean the wisdom of those with abundantly more experience than me.
My question is this: can outfitters legally put out 'NO HUNTING' signs on crown land to keep hunters out? This is the case in the area I've been hunting in the past couple of months. We found a nice little pull-in off the north side of the road to set-up camp (only stayed 2-3 days at a time), and hunted to the north the whole time we were there. The land on the south side of the road is in the same WMU, but had 'NO HUNTING' signs on it from the 'local' outfitter.
The whole time we're there we see the same vehicles driving by us both ways about a half dozen times a day - we learn that these belong to the outfitter crew and think nothing of it, as we are on crown.
The day we were getting ready to leave, we see a WT buck on the road that runs into the bush on the south side of the road, so we decide to cross the road to see what the land was like over there. No sooner do we cross, we've got one of these outfitters driving by checking us out (cameras set up?). They literally hung around (at a distance) until we left, and followed us down the road...never closer than 100yds behind. Finally I got fed up - stopped, waived her to go by - she wouldn't...just sat there. So we confronted her, asked if there was a problem, or if she could be helped? Nope, she was just out doing some "photography" (with no camera in sight). She got super nasty and told us to keep moving. Also, while she was following us, we happened to pass another one of the outfitter vehicles parked on a corner, watching traffic. Eventually we must have moved far enough out of their 'zone', or she anticipated that things might escalate and she backed off.
I apologize for the novel, but the whole ordeal sure left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't know if I'm justified in being this upset, or if I'm just ignorant to how things work, but I don't get how they're allowed to block off huge portions of crown land like that, and then "police" them like they own 'em.
Aaaahh....that feels good to get off my chest.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:59 AM

I'm not sure how this affects us who can't afford to hunt like that. I couldn't get thoes tags before due to the law. And I get get them now do to money. I think it adds up to the same amount of nothing.

We really are a petty jealous crowd
Old 12-01-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator View Post
I'm brand new here, and have tried to read through the multiple threads that touch on the topic, but haven't really found anything that has addressed my particular question/concern yet. I'm a pretty new hunter so am looking to glean the wisdom of those with abundantly more experience than me.
My question is this: can outfitters legally put out 'NO HUNTING' signs on crown land to keep hunters out? This is the case in the area I've been hunting in the past couple of months. We found a nice little pull-in off the north side of the road to set-up camp (only stayed 2-3 days at a time), and hunted to the north the whole time we were there. The land on the south side of the road is in the same WMU, but had 'NO HUNTING' signs on it from the 'local' outfitter.
The whole time we're there we see the same vehicles driving by us both ways about a half dozen times a day - we learn that these belong to the outfitter crew and think nothing of it, as we are on crown.
The day we were getting ready to leave, we see a WT buck on the road that runs into the bush on the south side of the road, so we decide to cross the road to see what the land was like over there. No sooner do we cross, we've got one of these outfitters driving by checking us out (cameras set up?). They literally hung around (at a distance) until we left, and followed us down the road...never closer than 100yds behind. Finally I got fed up - stopped, waived her to go by - she wouldn't...just sat there. So we confronted her, asked if there was a problem, or if she could be helped? Nope, she was just out doing some "photography" (with no camera in sight). She got super nasty and told us to keep moving. Also, while she was following us, we happened to pass another one of the outfitter vehicles parked on a corner, watching traffic. Eventually we must have moved far enough out of their 'zone', or she anticipated that things might escalate and she backed off.
I apologize for the novel, but the whole ordeal sure left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't know if I'm justified in being this upset, or if I'm just ignorant to how things work, but I don't get how they're allowed to block off huge portions of crown land like that, and then "police" them like they own 'em.
IF it is truly crown land then no, an outfitter cannot legally put out no hunting signs - well, to clarify this, I suppose he COULD put them up, but you have every right to ignore them.

Cat
Old 12-01-2020, 09:08 AM

In my early days of guiding I was quite naive when I first started, I remember driving around with an Outfitter that I was working for he was putting up no hunting signs on all kinds of land, the things I could tell.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
I'm not sure how this affects us who can't afford to hunt like that. I couldn't get thoes tags before due to the law. And I get get them now do to money. I think it adds up to the same amount of nothing.

We really are a petty jealous crowd
In reality it doesn't affect at all those that do not hire a guide, because we will hunt the same as always.

The only people it does affect is the outfitting business that take out residents, and the residents that decide they want to hire a guide and can afford it.
Cat
Old 12-01-2020, 09:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
You give no clues as to which province or state this happened in.
It may make a big difference.

I don't know the game laws for other provinces or US states, I only know what you describe would be illegal in Alberta.

Outfitters have no more rights then anyone else to access crown land in this province.

It is also against the law to deliberately interfere with a hunt in Alberta.

A word of caution though. Land records are not always up to date, so what is listed as crown land may not be any more.

Also if it's your word against his, you won't likely get anyone to take action.

Sometimes law enforcement can't be bothered if they did not see it for themselves.

Over the past few years I have caught a poacher in the act and reported him, found severely injured wildlife and reported it, and no action was taken.

Other times immediate action was taken and I was impressed with the outcome.
Just don't be surprised if no action is taken.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-01-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You give no clues as to which province or state this happened in.
It may make a big difference.

I don't know the game laws for other provinces or US states, I only know what you describe would be illegal in Alberta.

Outfitters have no more rights then anyone else to access crown land in this province.

It is also against the law to deliberately interfere with a hunt in Alberta.

A word of caution though. Land records are not always up to date, so what is listed as crown land may not be any more....
My apologies - ya, I guess that would help provide some context - this was in Alberta.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
In my early days of guiding I was quite naive when I first started, I remember driving around with an Outfitter that I was working for he was putting up no hunting signs on all kinds of land, the things I could tell.

Did he go to the lengths of more-or-less stalking potential hunters away from the area? The deception of the signage is one thing...actually 'policing' the area is a little unnerving.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Did he go to the lengths of more-or-less stalking potential hunters away from the area? The deception of the signage is one thing...actually 'policing' the area is a little unnerving.
I don't remember this was one of my first guiding gigs 30 + years ago, I just remember thinking this was kind of rude putting up no hunting signs and him laughing about it. far as I know he's still in business in Alberta out East.