Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-21-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootstrap View Post
If its public land the outfitter is using just because its his favorite spot doesn't mean it cant be anyone elses. ive hunted public land I found by looking at maps and talking to local people and had outfitters mad at me for being in "their" spot.
You are not alone. Lots of members on this board have had the same thing happen.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You are not alone. Lots of members on this board have had the same thing happen.
That’s not something limited to outfitters
Old 08-21-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
That’s not something limited to outfitters
Kurt, many would see that as a deflection of the issue. I'd be interested in you responding to my post that I threw out there.

I would say that you, and every other outfitter will be fighting an image problem as long as APOS is in charge of the industry.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Kurt, many would see that as a deflection of the issue. I'd be interested in you responding to my post that I threw out there.

I would say that you, and every other outfitter will be fighting an image problem as long as APOS is in charge of the industry.
I think I missed your post, I’ll look.

I have had locals cut down trees across cut lines to stop my access to crown land. Ironically this gem is now an outfitter in a neighboring zone. At the time he was trying to sabotage my hunt he was just a disgruntled local. That would be a helpful little review on his web page.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I guess you are not doing that. More like a public service you are offering, you are a true saint.
Not a public service no, a living.

You go to work and make a living, I go to work and make a living.

The difference is you’d like to see my living gone so your hobby would be more readily available. I don’t begrudge anybody with those same feelings.

And so we’re clear I operate 100% in British Columbia now, while I hunt as a resident in Alberta. I wait in draws, or now I suppose can hire an outfitter here just like anybody else.
We have so much opportunity here to hunt compared to almost anywhere in the world it boggles my mind people still want more, and then when they are literally given access to everything, they complain because they have to pay for the last 10% they previously had no access to.

On Sunday me and my boy are going sheep hunting in the Wilmore, with a bighorn tag I just bought over the counter for $50 !!! Can you believe that ? Sheep tag over the counter and have at it. What a province we live in 👍
Old 08-21-2020, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

Are you referring to post 89?

Let me ask you this,

Do you get upset at rig workers when the price of gas goes up? You want to talk about criminals? Ever wonder about who hands out contracts? I’d be willing to bet when you get to the top of the food chain in the oil and gas game it’s teaming with crooked people.

My point is, it’s not the rig workers fault when the price of gas goes up or the company they work for, it’s above their level. Same can be said for the outfitting business. Why is it up to the outfitters to change public perception? You don’t expect rig workers to be able to influence opec do you? Everyone is individual, there is good and bad people in every industry.

I started out as a hunter, then a guide, and now an outfitter. My morals haven’t changed with my position, I’m the same guy inside today as the 10yr old running around with my longbow chasing rabbits and grouse 40 years ago. Those outfitters that are poaching are the same guys that were poaching before they became outfitters. This is something the general public has to realize, expecting outfitters to somehow sway people from believing a stereotype is giving way too much credit to their abilities. This thread is 100% proof that outfitters are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Personally I don’t care who buys a hunt with me (I’m speaking of which side of the border they hail from, there are a couple guys that won’t be hunting with me no matter how much they pay), I guide to make money, I guide because I enjoy the outdoors, I guide because I enjoy helping others. I don’t poach, nor do I permit or condone it in my camp, I don’t kick people off public land, I don’t hunt on any private land which I have no permission on, I give locals and friends advice on where I see game, I really don’t know what else I’m expected to do in order to sway public opinion? I’ve been guiding in the same 200sq mile area for the past 20 years and have never had an issue with a land owner or fish and wildlife, but nobody cares about that
Old 08-21-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to post 89?

Let me ask you this,

Do you get upset at rig workers when the price of gas goes up? You want to talk about criminals? Ever wonder about who hands out contracts? I’d be willing to bet when you get to the top of the food chain in the oil and gas game it’s teaming with crooked people.

My point is, it’s not the rig workers fault when the price of gas goes up or the company they work for, it’s above their level. Same can be said for the outfitting business. Why is it up to the outfitters to change public perception? You don’t expect rig workers to be able to influence opec do you? Everyone is individual, there is good and bad people in every industry.

I started out as a hunter, then a guide, and now an outfitter. My morals haven’t changed with my position, I’m the same guy inside today as the 10yr old running around with my longbow chasing rabbits and grouse 40 years ago. Those outfitters that are poaching are the same guys that were poaching before they became outfitters. This is something the general public has to realize, expecting outfitters to somehow sway people from believing a stereotype is giving way too much credit to their abilities. This thread is 100% proof that outfitters are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Personally I don’t care who buys a hunt with me (I’m speaking of which side of the border they hail from, there are a couple guys that won’t be hunting with me no matter how much they pay), I guide to make money, I guide because I enjoy the outdoors, I guide because I enjoy helping others. I don’t poach, nor do I permit or condone it in my camp, I don’t kick people off public land, I don’t hunt on any private land which I have no permission on, I give locals and friends advice on where I see game, I really don’t know what else I’m expected to do in order to sway public opinion? I’ve been guiding in the same 200sq mile area for the past 20 years and have never had an issue with a land owner or fish and wildlife, but nobody cares about that
APOS is responsible for the negative perception of the outfitting industry. They represent the Alberta outfitters, and the APOS executive is elected by the membership. Therefore, unlike the rig worker, who has no say in how the company he works for is run, the outfitters most certainly do have a say in how APOS is run. You might be totally honest and respectable, but if you choose corrupt people to represent you, the reputation of your industry suffers.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
apos is responsible for the negative perception of the outfitting industry. They represent the alberta outfitters, and the apos executive is elected by the membership. Therefore, unlike the rig worker, who has no say in how the company he works for is run, the outfitters most certainly do have a say in how apos is run. You might be totally honest and respectable, but if you choose corrupt people to represent you, the reputation of your industry suffers.

apos = opec

OPEC too is run by elected officials.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
apos = opec
Not even close, the Alberta outfitters elect the APOS executive, nobody in Alberta, or even Canada, has any influence in how OPEC operates.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=Kurt505;4222509

Those outfitters that are poaching are the same guys that were poaching before they became outfitters. This is something the general public has to realize, expecting outfitters to somehow sway people from believing a stereotype is giving way too much credit to their abilities. This thread is 100% proof that outfitters are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Personally I don’t care who buys a hunt with me (I’m speaking of which side of the border they hail from, there are a couple guys that won’t be hunting with me no matter how much they pay), I guide to make money, I guide because I enjoy the outdoors, I guide because I enjoy helping others. I don’t poach, nor do I permit or condone it in my camp, I don’t kick people off public land, I don’t hunt on any private land which I have no permission on, I give locals and friends advice on where I see game, I really don’t know what else I’m expected to do in order to sway public opinion? I’ve been guiding in the same 200sq mile area for the past 20 years and have never had an issue with a land owner or fish and wildlife, but nobody cares about that[/QUOTE]

Phil, is that you?
Old 08-21-2020, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not even close, the Alberta outfitters elect the APOS executive, nobody in Alberta has any influence in how OPEC operates.
You are focusing on small scale again, only concerned about your personal needs, you can’t seem to grasp the big picture. OPEC is run by elected officials, by oil producing countries. The biggest crooks from 13 different countries elect officials to run OPEC. Don’t tell me you think the guys running OPEC got there by hard work and good ethics...... hahaha.

Outfitting doesn’t benefit you personally so you don’t agree with it. Unless you travel out of province to hunt, then outfitting is acceptable.

This year Albertans have the opportunity to take advantage of outfitters tags so I suggest you support local and go buy one of those tags. Think of it as winning a ministers tag. Maybe put money down for next years hunt to guarantee you get another shot next year
Old 08-21-2020, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Phil, is that you?
Check out my avatar.....

Phil don’t shoot whitetail that big, hahaha!
Old 08-21-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
You are focusing on small scale again, only concerned about your personal needs, you can’t seem to grasp the big picture. OPEC is run by elected officials, by oil producing countries. The biggest crooks from 13 different countries elect officials to run OPEC. Don’t tell me you think the guys running OPEC got there by hard work and good ethics...... hahaha.

Outfitting doesn’t benefit you personally so you don’t agree with it. Unless you travel out of province to hunt, then outfitting is acceptable.

This year Albertans have the opportunity to take advantage of outfitters tags so I suggest you support local and go buy one of those tags. Think of it as winning a ministers tag. Maybe put money down for next years hunt to guarantee you get another shot next year
Yes OPEC is a collection of crooks, and if you are insinuating that the APOS executive is a collection of crooks, I would agree. The difference is that no Albertan or Canadian gets to choose the OPEC representatives, but you and your fellow outfitters do choose the APOS executive, so if they are crooks, then you elected crooks to represent you. If I was going to purchase an outfitted hunt now, it would be in B.C. or the Yukon, and not on Alberta.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes OPEC is a collection of crooks, and if you are insinuating that the APOS executive is a collection of crooks, I would agree. The difference is that no Albertan or Canadian gets to choose the OPEC representatives, but you and your fellow outfitters do choose the APOS executive, so if they are crooks, then you elected crooks to represent you. If I was going to purchase an outfitted hunt now, it would be in B.C. or the Yukon, and not on Alberta.

You are wrong, Canada is a member of OPEC, they have a voting interest in OPEC, it’s just way above our pay grade to be an influence on. You’re so worried about the kids stealing a pack of gum you don’t notice the ones stealing your car.

I’m not sure of the angle you’re hinting at with a B.C. or Yukon hunt, but if you think all Alberta outfitters are crooked but once you cross a border they are magically incapable of unethical practices, I think you’re mistaken. If it’s because you don’t want to support Alberta outfitters then enjoy your trip to B.C., I know they’ll love to see you there.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
You are wrong, Canada is a member of OPEC, they have a voting interest in OPEC, it’s just way above our pay grade to be an influence on. You’re so worried about the kids stealing a pack of gum you don’t notice the ones stealing your car.

I’m not sure of the angle you’re hinting at with a B.C. or Yukon hunt, but if you think all Alberta outfitters are crooked but once you cross a border they are magically incapable of unethical practices, I think you’re mistaken. If it’s because you don’t want to support Alberta outfitters then enjoy your trip to B.C., I know they’ll love to see you there.
You obviously have no clue about OPEC. Canada is not a member of OPEC

https://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/about_us/25.htm

As for the outfitters in B.C. unlike the Alberta outfitters, they were happy to see me before covid.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-21-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Ypu obviously have no clue about OPEC. Canada is not a member of OPEC

As for the outfitters in B.C. unlike the Alberta outfitters, they were happy to see me before covid.
Not to derail but, I cannot believe how little Albertans actually know about the oil industry...and they aren't shy about proving it
Old 08-21-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Check out my avatar.....

Phil don’t shoot whitetail that big, hahaha!
Soooo... what your saying is your smart enough to move the mineral blocks before you take pics?
Old 08-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ypu obviously have no clue about OPEC. Canada is not a member of OPEC

You’re right about my knowledge of OPEC, they just control the global distribution, like the government controls the hunting allocations.

Do you figure it’s the outfitters choice not to be able to sell a hunt to Albertans? You know as much about allocations as I do about OPEC. It’s not guides, outfitters, or APOS who has the power to make that decision. You are the very person you hate, you are the American hunting in Alberta.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Soooo... what your saying is your smart enough to move the mineral blocks before you take pics?
Hahaha, jealousy is the finest form of flattery. This is your chance to buy a hunt from someone who knows how to hunt whitetail, I’d take advantage of this while it lasts, it might be your only chance at harvesting a trophy.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Not to derail but, I cannot believe how little Albertans actually know about the oil industry...and they aren't shy about proving it
It is sad, isn't it.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
You’re right about my knowledge of OPEC, they just control the global distribution, like the government controls the hunting allocations.

Do you figure it’s the outfitters choice not to be able to sell a hunt to Albertans? You know as much about allocations as I do about OPEC. It’s not guides, outfitters, or APOS who has the power to make that decision. You are the very person you hate, you are the American hunting in Alberta.
The difference between me and an American, is that I was born in Canada, and worked here and paid millions in taxes and to Alberta businesses over the years.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Hahaha, jealousy is the finest form of flattery. This is your chance to buy a hunt from someone who knows how to hunt whitetail, I’d take advantage of this while it lasts, it might be your only chance at harvesting a trophy.
No jealousy here, I don’t need no outfitter to hold my hand... oh! and I’m glad you think you shoot big deer!
Old 08-21-2020, 05:14 PM

So quick question for the outfitters on here...you seem to know that your organization (APOS) has individuals on its board who are crooked or have been convicted of various offences pertaining to illegal hunting. So what exactly are you guys doing to get rid of these people who paint you in a bad light?? I'd really like to know cause there never seems to be anything done to right this wrong...
Old 08-21-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
So quick question for the outfitters on here...you seem to know that your organization (APOS) has individuals on its board who are crooked or have been convicted of various offences pertaining to illegal hunting. So what exactly are you guys doing to get rid of these people who paint you in a bad light?? I'd really like to know cause there never seems to be anything done to right this wrong...
What are you doing to get Trudeau out of office when he already has 3 ethics violations. Probably the same as the Outfitters, when the time comes, you vote for whole you feel is the best choice of the nominees

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
What are you doing to get Trudeau out of office when he already has 3 ethics violations. Probably the same as the Outfitters, when the time comes, you vote for whole you feel is the best choice of the nominees

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
You had that opportunity last time!
Old 08-21-2020, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
The difference between me and an American, is that I was born in Canada, and worked here and paid millions in taxes and to Alberta businesses over the years.
What’s that got to do with B.C.? You don’t work and pay taxes in B.C., you’re an alien hunter who thinks it’s ok to hunt abroad but not ok for people abroad to hunt here. Africa, United States (Alaska), New Zealand, Kazakhstan, they’re all popular destinations for Canadian hunters, and if everyone was like you, no Canadians would be able to experience these hunts. It’s a selfish attitude, and thankfully not an influential one world wide.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
No jealousy here, I don’t need no outfitter to hold my hand... oh! and I’m glad you think you shoot big deer!
No jealousy huh.....

Ok.

I’m glad you don’t know what a big deer looks like
Old 08-21-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
No jealousy huh.....

Ok.

I’m glad you don’t know what a big deer looks like
You bet I do!
Old 08-21-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
What’s that got to do with B.C.? You don’t work and pay taxes in B.C., you’re an alien hunter who thinks it’s ok to hunt abroad but not ok for people abroad to hunt here. Africa, United States (Alaska), New Zealans, Kazakhstan, they’re all popular destinations for Canadian hunters, and if everyone was like you, no Canadians would be able to experience these hunts. It’s a selfish attitude, and thankfully not an influential one world wide.
As I have posted multiple times, I am good with having outfitters having allocations for any animal in any location that an Alberta resident can hunt without having to draw a tag. In other words, look after our own residents, then share the surplus. But you obviously were to busy ranting misinformation about OPEC to notice.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
You bet I do!
Hahaha, ok.