Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-20-2020, 03:17 PM

BC has been doing this for 30 years, some residents take advantage of the opportunity, some don’t.

It’s about time Alberta did the same. All that happened here was increased opportunity for residents, which is what many complain about not having normally.

Don’t like it, don’t book a hunt.

Don’t begrudge others that can book a hunt who’ve decided to work harder and have been more successful in life then you, that’s just pathetic!

Next year when things are back to normal (hopefully) the number of residents booking hunts in Alberta will be negligible anyway, but it’s nice it’s at least a possibility now !
Old 08-20-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Will you take me hunting to your best spots to hunt?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I take friends to my best spots all the time. Their enjoyment means as much to me as mine does. If they have a great time and are respectful of the resource, then by all means. I’d take you too if you really wanted to go.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
BC has been doing this for 30 years, some residents take advantage of the opportunity, some don’t.

It’s about time Alberta did the same. All that happened here was increased opportunity for residents, which is what many complain about not having normally.

Don’t like it, don’t book a hunt.

Don’t begrudge others that can book a hunt who’ve decided to work harder and have been more successful in life then you, that’s just pathetic!

Next year when things are back to normal (hopefully) the number of residents booking hunts in Alberta will be negligible anyway, but it’s nice it’s at least a possibility now !
Amen

Old 08-20-2020, 04:16 PM

I am always amused when those that have a vested interest in the outfitting business name call those that have a different opinion. Cheap, suck at life, unsuccessful, jealous, selfish, did I miss any?

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-20-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I am always amused when those that have a vested interest in the outfitting business name call those that have a different opinion. Cheap, suck at life, unsuccessful, jealous, selfish, did I miss any?
Forgot lazy
Old 08-20-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Who called anybody anything??? Maybe I missed that post?
Old 08-20-2020, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I take friends to my best spots all the time. Their enjoyment means as much to me as mine does. If they have a great time and are respectful of the resource, then by all means. I’d take you too if you really wanted to go.
I did too, and then I find them hunting there with their friends and not me. True story and it happened more than twice.

Fool me once shame on you
Fool me twice shame on me
Fool me three times, time to seriously rethink my game plan.

Some people might not have that desirable of a hunting spot or maybe just don’t share the best spots so in that case I could see it not being an issue.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Who called anybody anything??? Maybe I missed that post?
Maybe review your posts, and the word selfish, OMG you have used that numerous times in the past, numerous.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-20-2020, 06:08 PM

So whats it going to cost me for an outfitter? I would love to go get me a sheep, but not at 35k. I understand they have costs to cover.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery_nut View Post
So whats it going to cost me for an outfitter? I would love to go get me a sheep, but not at 35k. I understand they have costs to cover.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Call and ask.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-20-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Maybe review your posts, and the word selfish, OMG you have used that numerous times in the past, numerous.
I did read it, I wrote it lol

Perhaps it’s all about perspective. When I see somebody pull up next to my F350 in their $300,000 sports car I don’t think to myself “boy I’ve failed in life”, I think there’s somebody that’s done well for themselves.

Saying somebody worked harder or is more successful in life financially then you, (which was just a broad statement to those complaining) is not stating you failed in life. It’s simply pointing out that some are more successful then others.

As for calling people selfish when they are in fact being selfish, guilty as charged. I’ve never been really good at not pointing out the obvious, sorry.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Bull....

If you want to create more opportunity for Residents with equality to each and every Albertan....

Return these Outfitter licences to the Resident allocation.
EXACTLY x 1000
Old 08-20-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I did too, and then I find them hunting there with their friends and not me. True story and it happened more than twice.

Fool me once shame on you
Fool me twice shame on me
Fool me three times, time to seriously rethink my game plan.

Some people might not have that desirable of a hunting spot or maybe just don’t share the best spots so in that case I could see it not being an issue.
Exactly
Old 08-20-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
EXACTLY x 1000
Sounds good but how much opportunity would this actually amount to for resident hunters in the big picture.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Sounds good but how much opportunity would this actually amount to for resident hunters in the big picture.
A little bit o arsenic is still poisonous.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
A little bit o arsenic is still poisonous.
Let's try again tommorow...
Old 08-20-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
If the allocations add up to 10% of the available licenses, that is still 10% more than what residents have now
Old 08-21-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
So just because some people can not afford to capitalize on this opportunity we should take it away from those who can?

Seems pretty self serving if you ask me.

And before anyone starts assuming anything, buying allocations off an outfitter does not benefit me in any way shape or form.

I am not selling any hunts nor am I buying any hunts.

I just don't feel we should ever penalize Alberta residents just because they have done well in life.

And to my knowledge, the social assistance programs did not help the outfitters out. Most of them were too small of an operation to qualify.
Nobody said the rich should get penalized.

Simply stated that the many average resident outdoorsmen/women cannot afford guided hunts. And these amendments only benefits " the ones that have done well in life", as you stated.

Any outfitters here? Please tell me if you have applied and received COVID 19 government business assistance. If so, which program(s)?

Also, did your guides and staff do the same?

Thank you.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:25 AM

Default 🤔

I have no issues with outfitters at all. If you want your draw times shortened make the draw cost more or somehow get the people who draw an never go out to quit puttin in for the draw. I would bet 25 percent of the draw tags never get bought.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
IM guessing not many ,with lots of hunters out of work or having hours cut .Who can afford to pay for a marginally discounted hunt in Alberta. nonRESEDENT HUNTERS ,should only be able to hunt game that is not on draw ,elk, whitetail, bear.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
IM guessing not many ,with lots of hunters out of work or having hours cut .Who can afford to pay for a marginally discounted hunt in Alberta. nonRESEDENT HUNTERS ,should only be able to hunt game that is not on draw ,elk, whitetail, bear.
That’s a fair idea.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Smart man.

Ive done well for myself, but just could never see dropping $20k or so to hunt anything.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
This is a tough one as it would hurt a lot of outfitters but it is a bit hard to stomach when I have to wait 8-12 years to get a bull moose tag around home and a non resident can come and hunt every year if they want. The idea of just allowing non draw animals to be hunted by non residents definitely has some merit.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
This is a tough one as it would hurt a lot of outfitters but it is a bit hard to stomach when I have to wait 8-12 years to get a bull moose tag around home and a non resident can come and hunt every year if they want. The idea of just allowing non draw animals to be hunted by non residents definitely has some merit.
Well guess what, it is your lucky year. You dont have to wait 8-12 years for a moose. You can buy an outfitted hunt this year and next.

Here is YOUR OPPORTUNITY!!!!

You now have an opportunity as a resident to have the same opportunity that non residents do.

This is of course if YOU CHOOSE TO. You know, just like non residents either choose to or choose not to

Old 08-21-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Well guess what, it is your lucky year. You dont have to wait 8-12 years for a moose. You can buy an outfitted hunt this year and next.

Here is YOUR OPPORTUNITY!!!!

You now have an opportunity as a resident to have the same opportunity that non residents do.

This is of course if YOU CHOOSE TO. You know, just like non residents either choose to or choose not to

But by purchasing that hunt, he would be supporting the very system that he appears to oppose. Some people do have principles.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
But by purchasing that hunt, he would be supporting the very system that he appears to oppose. Some people do have principles.
Dont complain about wanting more opportunities and then turning it down when more opportunity is available

Old 08-21-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Dont complain about wanting more opportunities and then turning it down when more opportunity is available

It is now a temporary opportunity, and it only exists to put money in outfitters pockets, it wasn't created for the benefit of the resident hunters.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It is now a temporary opportunity, and it only exists to put money in outfitters pockets, it wasn't created for the benefit of the resident hunters.
People on this forum have an uncanny knack for finding a negative in every and any situation hahaha

Old 08-21-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
People on this forum have an uncanny knack for finding a negative in every and any situation hahaha

I guess the truth hurts.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
I guess the truth hurts.
And the truth is, this "opportunity " only exists to help outfitters financially during the covid crisis. If it was created to increase resident opportunity, it would have happened years ago, before the covid crisis. The truth is, when this covid crisis ends and the Americans are allowed to come to Alberta to hunt again, the outfitters will be happy to sell all of their hunts to Americans again.