Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2020, 10:05 AM

The 2021 Toyota Plug in Prime RAV 4 looks like it could be the perfect EV for 90% of the population. 70 kms of electric only range, 900 km hybrid range, AWD, and 302 horsepower! The only Toyota faster is the Supra!! Not to mention Toyota's unmatched reliability and resale. They are only making 5000 this year and they've been all sold out on pre order apparently.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
I’m still trying to wrap my head around this. When you consider a typical residential demand load that peaks around supper time, then flatlines until the next morning, isn’t there plenty of unused capacity during those ‘off’ hours? Smart chargers are based on total demand and ‘throttle’ themselves accordingly. There is no doubt in my mind that small form factor electric vehicles for urban stop and go commuting is the future. The biggest returns come from the ‘small’.
Smart meters, and time of day charging will fix any "problem" before it becomes a problem. It's done in lots of countries, and has worked successfully for many years. Just reduce electricity prices between 9pm and 5am and most people would do what they could to take advantage of the reduced rates. Does anyone need to wash and dry their clothes or charge their EV at supper time?
Old 11-29-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Smart meters, and time of day charging will fix any "problem" before it becomes a problem. It's done in lots of countries, and has worked successfully for many years. Just reduce electricity prices between 9pm and 5am and most people would do what they could to take advantage of the reduced rates. Does anyone need to wash and dry their clothes or charge their EV at supper time?
So it's worked successfully for many years in lots of countries? Could you give some examples of countries that have eliminated gasoline/diesel powered vehicles, and that are now 100% electric vehicles? 50%?, 25%?

Lets look at the facts

https://easyelectriclife.groupe.rena...-implantation/

Quote:
On the global scale, China is the country with the most electric cars, with nearly 1.8 million overall! But when we account for the country’s population, it is Norway that comes in first. Indeed, the land of the Vikings has 30.2 electric cars per 1000 inhabitants (numbers from 2018,) compared to just 1.26 per 1000 inhabitants in China.
Now lets look at Canada

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/cana...r-capita/4825/

Quote:
Canada is in fact ranked 5th, averaging around 560 cars per 1,000 residents,
So Norway, the leader in electric vehicles has 30.2 electric vehicles per 1000 residents, while we have 560 vehicles per 1000 residents. So if we were to match Norway at 30.2 electric vehicles per 1000 residents, about 5% of our vehicles would be electric. So no other country is dealing with charging more than 5% of the electric vehicles per 1000 people, that Canada would have to do to go 100% electric vehicles..

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-29-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:41 AM

Norway, home of the trillion dollar + heritage fund from oil production leads the world per capita in the number of electric cars. Makes perfect sense.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:46 AM

Probably something to do with diversification but I digress
Old 11-29-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote;
So it's worked successfully for many years in lots of countries? Could you give some examples of countries that have eliminated gasoline/diesel powered vehicles, and that are now 100% electric vehicles? 50%?, 25%?

I said smart meters and time of day pricing has worked in many other countries, nothing about any of them going 100% EV.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:03 PM

Electric is impractical for Alberta right now, no denying it. But if you guys don't think Texas good ole boys won't flock to a 1000hp electric F150, well I think you are dreaming. Electric makes a lot of sense for a lot of the world.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-29-2020, 02:56 PM

We have a Volvo XC90 T8 plug in hybrid. Only about 30-40 km of all electric range. But if I take it to work, that covers the drive there, charge at work. Then drive back also on electric. It's mainly for my wife, and in town getting groceries, etc. all on electric. So far average around 4 l/100 km. Longer drives obviously uses more gas. But even then still averaging 7.5 l/100 km. Lots of power on demand.

That being said have a 10 year 200,000 km warranty on it. Lots to go wrong, and expensive if it does. Winter there is a slight range reduction, but haven't had it out in really cold yet. Also can either use remote start to start the engine to warm up, or use cabin pre-conditioning to just warm up the cab on the battery/plug in.

Enjoying it so far, no issues. Can charge either over 110v, If empty takes about 6 hours. (depends on amps of breaker). Or 220v takes about an hour.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i agree , however , they are gaining popularity . i fear that we may not have a choice in the near future .
California has, or is trying to pass a law making it illegal to to sell a gasoline powered vehicle by 2035. I read somewhere that qeeeebec is already jumping on that bandwagon. Look at the cash they can make selling electricity to the USA! Here comes the future.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:37 AM

So lets say the technology gets us where electric vehicles replace what we drive today , where is all the tax money that is currently collected on gasoline and diesel going to come from ? Are power rates going to soar?
Old 11-30-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
So lets say the technology gets us where electric vehicles replace what we drive today , where is all the tax money that is currently collected on gasoline and diesel going to come from ? Are power rates going to soar?
The government will just increase other taxes.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I imagine that eventually the battery technology will advance to the point where a large capacity battery can be quickly recharged. I'd imagine that at that stage a lot of the gas stations will install power chargers which will sell electricity with the added taxes for road maintenance, etc.

I'd love to stop by for an almond latte at a hipster coffee house with a deer strapped to the hood of a Tesla...
Old 11-30-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The government will just increase other taxes.
I agree , the gov isnt going to absorb the losses but right now , if i choose to drive a vehicle i buy fuel which has road tax added to the price , sort of a " user pay" concept . Those who dont drive ( or buy fuel) dont pay . If you buy fuel for something that will not be driven on the roads you can get fuel that is tax exempt ( dyed fuel ) . It will be interesting how they deal with these issues . I'm sure we will come out on the loosing end .
Old 11-30-2020, 08:40 AM
AO Sponsor

Well folks, electric cars are not going away. For many people they do make sense. The reduced battery life when cold is really no more of an issue for most people than it is for gas. I know I lose gas idling my vehicles to get them warn etc just the same, although maybe not the the same degree. The fact of the matter there is most people do not get in a car and drive it until it is empty, so they are rarely if ever getting to the point stopping for a charge is necessary and they just plug in at night upon returning home from their daily running around and commuting.

As far as reliability, I don't own one but I have a very large customer base who do and we see them all the time and talk constantly about there vehicles and I have never had a single client who has said they have regretted getting one or who says they have any more issues than any other car owner does.

They are not the right vehicle for everyone by any stretch, but they are for others. I personally cannot see owning one until a lot more range is the norm, but the fact is that there is a very real consumer demand for them and I cannot see that changing no matter how irksome some of the aspects are currently.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-30-2020, 09:21 AM

The technology in these e-vehicles is going to get better and better.
I’d be willing to bet that if you told people 15 years ago that battery powered ice augers would be the preferred way to cut holes in the ice, most would have laughed at you. Same goes for lawn equipment, even chainsaws.
Same thing is gonna happen with vehicles. Just a matter of time.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I agree , the gov isnt going to absorb the losses but right now , if i choose to drive a vehicle i buy fuel which has road tax added to the price , sort of a " user pay" concept . Those who dont drive ( or buy fuel) dont pay . If you buy fuel for something that will not be driven on the roads you can get fuel that is tax exempt ( dyed fuel ) . It will be interesting how they deal with these issues . I'm sure we will come out on the loosing end .
The thing that always bothers me is that they call it a road tax but the money goes into general revenue. If it was only spent on roads we’d have good roads. Same with alcohol, tobacco and pot. If the taxes from those went directly into health care would really help health care costs
Old 11-30-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
They are not the right vehicle for everyone by any stretch, but they are for others. I personally cannot see owning one until a lot more range is the norm, but the fact is that there is a very real consumer demand for them and I cannot see that changing no matter how irksome some of the aspects are currently.
I'm generalizing here of course, but right now I suspect an EV would meet the demands of the vast majority of city dwellers. They are perfect for the 20 km to work, maybe running a few errands during lunch, then 20 km back home. If you've got a longer commute, just charge it while at work. Even if it's -30C, it's still going to perform.

Were they are going to be less ideal is the rural community, where the commutes are typically longer, roads may not be cleared as quickly, and help, if needed, is further away. Going from Trochu to Provost for a hockey game in January for example, an EV isn't the ideal option.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:01 PM

I see Canada going forward using hybrid technology more than pure plug in EV's. The biggest determining factor for many like myself would be upfront cost, as I haven't purchased a new vehicle in almost 32 years.

If I were to go hybrid, it would definitely be a Toyota product, as all cabbies that I've spoken to about their Toyota hybrids have nothing but praise for them in regards to reliability. I nearly purchased a used Lexus hybrid for my wife a few years ago, but she didn't like the color.

I only know two people with EV's right now, one is a 2012 Model S purchased used that has cost the owner a bit over the last few years. It's a summer car only but was driven in the winter, and has been to Vancouver and back more than a few times. His biggest gripe was parts availability for it after he was t-boned by a guy running a red light. It took a few months to get it back on the road. The other drives a 2019 Model X, it had some glitches early on, but has been okay since I believe. The only thing that the owner of the model X dislikes are the gull-wing doors, cool at first but the novelty has since worn off. One thing that they both agree on is how great they are in regards to traction in the winter. With the weight distribution the way it is, even the rear drive Model S was great in the snow/ice. The owner of the Model X says that it is the best winter vehicle that they have ever owned, after having several brands of pickups and SUVs. And with the electric heaters the interior warms up very quickly.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:26 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm generalizing here of course, but right now I suspect an EV would meet the demands of the vast majority of city dwellers. They are perfect for the 20 km to work, maybe running a few errands during lunch, then 20 km back home. If you've got a long commute, just charge it while at work. Even if it's -30C, it's still going to perform.

Where they are going to be less ideal is the rural community, where the commutes are typically longer, roads may not be cleared as quickly, and help, if needed, is further away. Going from Trochu to Provost for a hockey game in January for example, an EV isn't the ideal option.
X2, I will likely own an EV for my city commute (henday to work) and a F150 4x4 for all my country pursuits. My attraction to EV's are lower cost of operation and projected maintenance savings.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:50 PM

Electric Truck....

https://offroadracer.com/rivian-the-...ff-road-truck/
Old 12-01-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Curious what makes that an "Off-road truck" vs every other truck out there.

I'm rooting for Rivian and this truck should be exceptional. They've been around for over a decade and it will be their first vehicle. That's alot of R&D.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
I imagine that eventually the battery technology will advance to the point where a large capacity battery can be quickly recharged. I'd imagine that at that stage a lot of the gas stations will install power chargers which will sell electricity with the added taxes for road maintenance, etc.

I'd love to stop by for an almond latte at a hipster coffee house with a deer strapped to the hood of a Tesla...
The tech is changing really fast at this point, and is just picking up speed. The dedicated Tesla superchargers will pretty much recharge an empty battery in a little over a half hour. Enough time for a bathroom break, and to pick up a coffee.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...harger-tested/
Old 12-01-2020, 05:09 PM

Tough to argue with Elon Musk, he claims electricity supply will have to double.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...u16ecC4ocyKgCs

Grizz
Old 12-01-2020, 05:48 PM

The electricity demand is bound to increase. As the global fleet of vehicles shift to electric the tax load will have to follow.

Today's smart meters are capable of determining what appliance/device has been turned on. The governments can easily tax the electricity used to charge a vehicle at home by ensuring that the charger produces a distinct signature on the meter's reading.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:30 PM

Yup, power generation is as important as internet. I invest accordingly.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Now is your chance....I'll sell my BOSS 302 powered car to you !
You'd have better luck selling me an original good condition mini. Love them.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:08 AM

Default Huge increase in generating capacity needed

Musk's interview cited above (https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL8N2IH4VJ) should motivate politicians to think more carefully about the issue. They never seem to address the issue of increasing generating capacity when they give speeches about switching away from gas and diesel power. Musk, apart from being one of the three richest men in the world, is responsible for producing one of the few widely usable electric automobiles, so he should know what he's talking about.

Germany has been trying to "go green" for a long time but they just opened a new coal-fired electricity generating station (https://www.ft.com/content/9c3228f3-...7-8fb29dcbfda4). Remember what Kermit said.

Our national and provincial leaders need to consider the realities of energy production and consumption, and stop trying to grab votes by appealing to the well intentioned but uninformed.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Musk's interview cited above (https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL8N2IH4VJ) should motivate politicians to think more carefully about the issue. They never seem to address the issue of increasing generating capacity when they give speeches about switching away from gas and diesel power. Musk, apart from being one of the three richest men in the world, is responsible for producing one of the few widely usable electric automobiles, so he should know what he's talking about.

Germany has been trying to "go green" for a long time but they just opened a new coal-fired electricity generating station (https://www.ft.com/content/9c3228f3-...7-8fb29dcbfda4). Remember what Kermit said.

Our national and provincial leaders need to consider the realities of energy production and consumption, and stop trying to grab votes by appealing to the well intentioned but uninformed.
Germany is also shutting down it's nuclear reactors on one hand, while buying power from France, totally nuclear on the other. Talk about hypocritical ?

Grizz
Old 12-02-2020, 08:43 AM

I can see it now, after 2040 on, the police will not catch a bank robber if they have a electric vehicle with a 120 mile range at 1/3 charge, if the bank robber charged there run away vehicle before robbing the bank, they will have the 180 mile range, in 2040 on,

There will have the be a charging hub on the side of the road every 100 miles,
like before where gas stations were located every 250 miles.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post

There will have the be a charging hub on the side of the road every 100 miles,
like before where gas stations were located every 250 miles.
Why?