Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2020, 11:15 PM

Default Beware! Cabelas up to their old tricks.

Made an online purchase yesterday. Total price approx $200.
Was checking my statement today and I see two charges. One for $200 and one for $85.
No, these are not preauthorizations. Cant wait to waste an hour on the phone tomorrow
Old 12-01-2020, 12:13 AM

just give it a few days, itll sort itself out. I have had the same thing.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:43 AM

The multi-billion dollar company is not trying to finesse you on $85. Give it some time and it will be straightened out.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:05 AM

I think it's BS.
A multi billion dollar company should have their sh!t together!

I shouldn't have to scrutinize my bills for multiple charges and credits for what should be a simple transaction.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2020, 09:54 AM

Hmm can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought gas or stayed at a hotel and in addition to the purchase there is also a pretty authorization hold of funds for some extra amount. I do believe many gas stations I buy gas from have a note on the pump that a pretty authorization for a certain amount will be placed on my credit card just for using the pump. Hotels I imagine do it for damage deposits. Guess what? I’ve never failed to get that money back. It’s just a standard way of operating these days.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:59 AM

The thing Cabelas does with sale prices being the same as their regular price just a short time prior is annoying too. At sale time they Jack up the alleged regular price and it gets marked down to their previous regular price.
I notice it’s more frequent and egregious since wholesale sports went out of business
Old 12-01-2020, 10:28 AM

If it is an actual charge, call your credit card company directly and tell them you did not authorize the second charge. Happened to me before and I outlined it here: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=374963

And my last post there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
To update, received the refund yesterday. Took over a month, 2 or 3 emails and 3 phone calls. That’s in addition to the fact that I was the one who had to figure out why there were the extra charges; they sure as hell ensured me everything was on point. Call the credit card directly if you know you were overcharged. That’s what I am doing next time for sure. F this kind of service and waste of time.
If I recall correctly, they were convincing me that everything was properly accounted for and when I figured out what went wrong, they said that now they saw that I had been overcharged and it is because I submitted my order after the sale had ended in a different time zone. Of course, the times didn’t line up for their “theory” either. I spent a ridiculous amount if time on getting that refund.

So, I would wait a couple of days, maybe give them a call and, depending on their response, call the credit card company and get that refunded right away. Of course, that is if it is an actual charge and not preauthorization.

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2020, 10:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I think it's BS.

I shouldn't have to scrutinize my bills for multiple charges and credits for what should be a simple transaction.

you should always take a looksie....might be surprised how many other issues there are..mistakes are made and will never stop...when I ever had an issue a phone call and done...fixed....oh and these mistakes can be made regardless if your a billion dollar company or just starting out...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-01-2020, 11:12 AM

I just want to know what credit card posts transactions overnight! Seems all my visas/mastercards take a week or more for things to get 'finalized'

But OP most likely you're seeing $200 to authorize the purchase, but $85 of items are getting ready to ship. The other $115 should show up in a few days when those items are ready and the $200 goes away.

Now if the $200 and $85 both show up on your printed statement then you gotta make some calls.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:44 AM

Regardless of what company you are dealing with, if you bought something for $100 you should be charged $100.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
I just want to know what credit card posts transactions overnight! Seems all my visas/mastercards take a week or more for things to get 'finalized'
I see pending transactions online as they are made.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:03 PM

If it’s a pending transaction, it may go away. If it has been processed and posted, you will be paying it as part of your bill.

It definitely happens and it took me over a month to sort it out. I don’t think it is an intentional scam, but the fact that they do not take care of it kind of makes you wonder. It is probably cheaper for them to deal with those who notice when the mistake happens than fixing the issue. Plus, additional payroll it takes sorting it out probably pays for itself, lol.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

wife was on hold for 15 minutes to rectify a xmas gift issue, the customer service lady was awesome to deal with and when the dust all settled she got a choice to rectify the credit card or have that amount and an additional 50 bucks all put onto a Cabela's gift card....well thank you she said...plus the customer service lady said she was an angel to deal with being very patient and understanding...I just wonder what type of wankers they have to deal with everyday...being nice goes a long way and at the end of the day I got a few bucks to spend on fishing lures.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-01-2020, 03:16 PM

Hi all.

To be clear, these are posted transactions.
It's not the first time it's happened to me either, thus the title. Cabelas was very accommodating over the phone...system glitch blah blah. Credit will be processed.

It's common practice for them to pre-auth multiple transactions greater than your purchase. From time to time the transactions are posted. It is more prevalent when buying sale priced items for some reason.

Check your statements folks!

Old 12-01-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I think it's BS.

Agreed, and who compensates you for time spent on the phone!
Old 12-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Ever since I found out that Cabelas has been buying outfitters businesses in Canada, I avoid that place like Covid. Only go there as the last resort.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotecaller View Post
Ever since I found out that Cabelas has been buying outfitters businesses in Canada, I avoid that place like Covid. Only go there as the last resort.
X2 I prefer to support Canadian businesses, instead of a giant American corporation, specially ones that buys out competition! Keep our Canadian dollar in Canada!
Old 12-02-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
X2 I prefer to support Canadian businesses, instead of a giant American corporation, specially ones that buys out competition! Keep our Canadian dollar in Canada!
Oh good, Then please refrain from buying any ammo or firearms made in the USA so it’s easier for me to find stuff! Cant find squat due to covid and the election. If we didn’t have to ship stuff out of the country there would be that much more for sale down here!
Old 12-02-2020, 10:43 AM

For me they usually forget an item and when you call they say oh we put that in a different box 🤦🏼*♂️
Old 12-02-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
wife was on hold for 15 minutes to rectify a xmas gift issue, the customer service lady was awesome to deal with and when the dust all settled she got a choice to rectify the credit card or have that amount and an additional 50 bucks all put onto a Cabela's gift card....well thank you she said...plus the customer service lady said she was an angel to deal with being very patient and understanding...I just wonder what type of wankers they have to deal with everyday...being nice goes a long way and at the end of the day I got a few bucks to spend on fishing lures.
Glad it worked for you this way. My experience was quite different. And believe me, I was nice - I usually am up to a certain point and that point for me is much further than for most people. Basically, I never forget that the person on the phone usually has nothing to do with the situation/problem. I even apologize ahead of time if I am about to rant, lol.

Like I said, it took over a month to get the refund and no apology was offered. I did not get any gift cards either, even though in my last email (that one was not very nice, but probably still less than an average level of “aggression”) I stated the fact that I feel they have to compensate me for the time I wasted looking into their mistake and getting my money back. Lol.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:39 PM

I had this exact thing happen to me on a sale item I purchased.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 12-02-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Oh good, Then please refrain from buying any ammo or firearms made in the USA so it’s easier for me to find stuff! Cant find squat due to covid and the election. If we didn’t have to ship stuff out of the country there would be that much more for sale down here!

Americans need more guns and ammo? World coming to an end? Zombie attack?
Old 12-02-2020, 08:29 PM

I'm not sure why, outside of selection on "some" things, people buy anything from Cabelas. Especially firearms and ammunition. Their everyday prices are a joke compared to stores like Prophet River and P&D and their quality firearm selection is equalled or surpassed by many Canadian Tires. Cant have enough Mossbergs, Brownings, and Savages I guess.

Bass Pro is running Cabelas into the ground. I'll give them 2 years max in Canada. We're not a big enough market for them to care.

Last edited by 270person; 12-02-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Bass Pro is running Cabelas into the ground. I'll give them 2 years max in Canada. We're not a big enough market for them to care.
I'd suspect the guy (Johnny M) who single handedly built a multi-billion dollar retail empire out of his Dad's liquor store by maximizing profit per square foot knows a thing or two about running retail stores.

The only reason you'll see a Cabelas or BPS close is to eliminate the duplication of resources in areas where the stores are close to each other, ie Calgary.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I'd suspect the guy (Johnny M) who single handedly built a multi-billion dollar retail empire out of his Dad's liquor store by maximizing profit per square foot knows a thing or two about running retail stores.

The only reason you'll see a Cabelas or BPS close is to eliminate the duplication of resources in areas where the stores are close to each other, ie Calgary.

Times and buying patterns change and a lot larger operations than Cabelas have pulled out of Canada. They're already running them so skinny on inventory in so many areas it's sad. Imo they just keep pulling in more and more of the cheap brand names and going mainstream, yawn, while slowly doing away with the quality ones.

That BPS in Cgy is horrible. A year ago you'd find more ammunition in a small town mom and pop than on their shelves. South Cabelas in Edm isn't near the store it used to be.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:37 PM

Seems to me if you have set up an acct on Cabelas, you can check what invoices they billed out. Saved my butt on an insurance claim once, invoices were posted in my acct from 2010 and were still there in 2017.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I think it's BS.

Could always support local and buy from the small retailers instead of the big box guys.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:05 PM

Some people seem to be mentioning pre-authorizations for Cabell in their online store as being normal. That is definitely not normal for an online store. The site should be fully capable of prechecking the card and billing info with Visa/Mastercard immediately and prevent an order with an invalid card (this includes canceled and over limit cards). There is no reason for pre-authorization for an online order. Besides pre-authorizations meant for temporarily held funds or cases where you might not spend the full amount.