Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
I have a rope. Post up your phone # and I will call you next time we are killing one. How much lead time will you need to get ready to come down and show me how it is done?
Maybe if we video it we could win the 10,000 on AFV - I'll split it with you.
Whether or not I'm able to give you some help is going to depend on how far away you are. Post your address (or land location) here and I'll let you know if you're close enough or too far away.

Alternatively, I could help you come up with some ideas on how to hold your steer(s) still while you shoot them if they're too wild and ornery to be tied to a post or fence. I'd do that for free.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-19-2020, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
I have a rope. Post up your phone # and I will call you next time we are killing one. How much lead time will you need to get ready to come down and show me how it is done?
Maybe if we video it we could win the 10,000 on AFV - I'll split it with you.
omg, coffee spittin, you'll bring his half to him in the hospital i take it? hahaha

i wanna know if the steer is still alive after this rodeo haha, such a good post
Old 11-19-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
As previously mentioned shooting game at any distance, whether it be 25 yards or 1000 yds is very relative and should be evaluated and determined by the skill level, competence and confidence of the the shooter. Ethically evaluating the odds of losing a wounded animal should always be of paramount concern. After watching the video it would appear the shooter was somewhat in disbelief that he actually made the shot. To me this brings into question the level of confidence and competence. In simple terms, if one is not confident of making a shot at a game animal at any range, should one attempt the shot?
It was more an accumulation of emotions than disbelief at the shot, It’s his first mule deer and he didn’t think he would ever get to hunt deer again after being diagnosed with MS and the loss of a huge percentage of his mobility. You have never heard an excited hunter say no way I got my deer?
Old 11-19-2020, 03:51 PM

Default Great Shot

That was a great accomplishment! Good for you and it goes to show what practice and more practice will do with your confidence.
Awesome.
I used to take long shots too. But age has hurt my eyesight and am no longer capable of those shots, nor will I try any more. I'm comfortable out to 400 but no further.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:40 PM

Default An Outdoors Forum

Last time I looked, this is an outdoors forum. It has sub-forums that include hunting. It’s a shame that members on here would bash another outdoorsman for the successful end to a legal hunt. We have enough devision in these trying times. We sure as hell don’t need to flaunt it on here. Next negative comment will result in a lengthy holiday. We weren’t present during the hunt, from all appearances it was conducted legally, the shot was well placed.That’s really what matters.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:26 PM

Congrats to both of you, especially Nolan.

I have helped wheelchair bound hunters before.
An important part for these guys was to spend time connected with nature during their hunt, just as it is for most of us.

Nolan obviously has the shooting part dialed in.
For his next hunt, maybe try getting him smell 'em close to the quarry?
Keep up the shooting practice and put more time into finding a stand location that intensifies the personal nature of hunting.
I suspect he would like that.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-19-2020, 09:38 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Last time I looked, this is an outdoors forum. It has sub-forums that include hunting. It’s a shame that members on here would bash another outdoorsman for the successful end to a legal hunt. We have enough devision in these trying times. We sure as hell don’t need to flaunt it on here. Next negative comment will result in a lengthy holiday. We weren’t present during the hunt, from all appearances it was conducted legally, the shot was well placed.That’s really what matters.
This!

Maybe the ethics police could use a little defunding.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:54 PM
Banned

Great shot!
Practice pays off
👍
Old 11-19-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
It was more an accumulation of emotions than disbelief at the shot, It’s his first mule deer and he didn’t think he would ever get to hunt deer again after being diagnosed with MS and the loss of a huge percentage of his mobility. You have never heard an excited hunter say no way I got my deer?
I think many on this site have reacted just like Nolan did over a hunting accomplishment. Myself on my first record buck when I got my hands on him all I kept saying was No way,no way,that's what came out.

Were all just humans and I have seen all kinda different emotional reactions and Nolan's just came out that way out of pure excitement .

Nolan it was a great video and I hope to see more or hear more about your hunts.

ALL THE BEST
JD
Old 11-20-2020, 09:38 PM

Well done guys. Congrats to you two.
That was a heck of a shot. Nice to see it went how it was supposed to.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I think many on this site have reacted just like Nolan did over a hunting accomplishment. Myself on my first record buck when I got my hands on him all I kept saying was No way,no way,that's what came out.

Were all just humans and I have seen all kinda different emotional reactions and Nolan's just came out that way out of pure excitement .

Nolan it was a great video and I hope to see more or hear more about your hunts.

ALL THE BEST
JD
Thank you! I will be putting up a goose hunting video eventually when I get around to editing it. He is an avid Waterfowler and as long as we are allowed to drive into the field and use an a frame he comes along and can call geese and ducks like crazy
Old 11-29-2020, 05:49 AM

Hey that's cool, there is a saying " every hour you hunt you ad's an hour to your life " hope he get many more memorable hunts, good luck to you both.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
800 yards is not Hunting, it's Sniping.

Grizz
Says who, you?
Old 11-29-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Seems pretty simple to me. Some people don’t like long range shooting and don’t feel that taking an animal at extended ranges is hunting. Just like some bow hunters think taking an animal with a rifle is no challenge and not really hunting. I think the point Cat was making is everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that’s all it is.

The OP has the gear to make shots like the one in the video and they put in the time practicing because it sounds like his buddy might not have a lot of years left where he can physically get out there and they knew in this particular area that it may be a longer than normal shot. In the video it looked like the shooter has some mobility issues already just by watching him walk.

I say good on the OP for putting the time in practicing with his buddy and getting him out there. And good on the shooter for making a fantastic shot!

Long distance shooting at animals may not be for everyone but it is a perfectly legal form of hunting. If someone doesn’t like or agree with it start your own thread and get a discussion going. Don’t come on this thread and ruin what would be a very proud moment for the OP and shooter by voicing your opinion, because that is all that it is...your opinion.
Agree 100%
Old 11-29-2020, 04:50 PM

I thought all rifle hunting was sniping
Old 11-29-2020, 05:40 PM

Thx for posting the video. Great shot - wish I could shoot like that. Wish i could see a buck at 800 yards.

Ignore the critics - the blowhards are beginning to outnumber the hunters.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:30 AM

Thanks for all the positive vibes people. Keep hunting the way you want to hunt!