Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2020, 12:09 PM

Default Jobs at BC Megaproject

Thought I would post this because I'm sure there are a few folks that might benefit from a job and a new direction. Looks like BC is going to get busy. Going to be a few trades jobs to be had. Better fishing and nice weather.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...GA_grLQ#317561
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-30-2020, 05:36 PM

I know a guy who worked on a project there for a while, a specialized welder they brought in cause the locals couldn't do it. BC guys were not welcoming, bordered on gunplay at one time.

Grizz
Old 11-30-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I know a guy who worked on a project there for a while, a specialized welder they brought in cause the locals couldn't do it. BC guys were not welcoming, bordered on gunplay at one time.

Grizz
Sad to hear as we employ a lot of BC guys in the patch in Alberta. Maybe not so much now, but certainly a lot over the years. The best welders in North America come from Alberta for the most part in my four decades of experience.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
The best welders in North America come from Alberta for the most part in my four decades of experience.
Starting the career after grade 8 gives them an upper hand......
I’m kidding. It’s amazing how a good welder can look at something, map out a plan in his head, follow through, and create a functioning work of art. Literally.
IMO they are better engineers than engineers are.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Sad to hear as we employ a lot of BC guys in the patch in Alberta. Maybe not so much now, but certainly a lot over the years. The best welders in North America come from Alberta for the most part in my four decades of experience.
Over my working years in the oil and gas and pulp mills doing shutdowns and project work i hired people from Nfld to BC..best workers were from the eastern side of the country..( very reliable ) and best Partiers..best welders yes I agree...we had a lot of good welders to draw from right at home in Alberta, also the best pipefitters as well. Saskatchewan seemed to have the best millwrights with BC a very close second if not even maybe a tie.
Oops sorry I got carried away...commercial is now over.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-30-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Starting the career after grade 8 gives them an upper hand......
I’m kidding. It’s amazing how a good welder can look at something, map out a plan in his head, follow through, and create a functioning work of art. Literally.
IMO they are better engineers than engineers are.
What's long and hard for a welder? Grade two! Kidding of course. Some of my best hammerhead buddies are welders.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
What's long and hard for a welder? Grade two! Kidding of course. Some of my best hammerhead buddies are welders.
Mine too...they sure quit yappin when that JB WELD came out didn't they?
Old 11-30-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Mine too...they sure quit yappin when that JB WELD came out didn't they?
Threatened for sure!
Old 11-30-2020, 07:02 PM

I spent a little over a year working in BC in 2014 and 2015 in Nanaimo and in Port Hardy doing the Cape Scott wind turbine project, never once experienced any hostilities from anyone even though I had Alberta plates on my pickup all the time.

One thing I did learn in a hurry is that as a contractor my WCB is only valid for 14 days then work safe BC get's their hooks in you and look out, premiums are about 10 to 12 times as high as my Alberta WCB, in all I paid over $5000 in premiums and contractors insurance in a year over and above my Alberta based insurance and WCB so yes BC stands for Bring Cash and lot's of it.

The ironic part is that the main contractor was BC Hydro and in my contract all insurances and premiums needed or paid for by me would be back charged at a 10% handling fee, one arm of the government bleeding the other arm, I was fine with it

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Lots and lots of Albertan people move to BC for work and have a great experience. Or you can listen to this guy and miss a great opportunity.

Best of luck to those that apply.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:50 PM

There are parts of BC that are welcoming to Albertan’s and parts that are not. Different parts of BC are extremely different attitude wise
Old 11-30-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
There are parts of BC that are welcoming to Albertan’s and parts that are not. Different parts of BC are extremely different attitude wise
Definitely this...^
Old 11-30-2020, 08:13 PM

Seems I spent half my life working in northern BC, Dawson Creek to Steamboat and all parts in between. It was always a pleasure
Old 12-01-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Stay North, Northeast and you're fine.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:12 AM

I start a BC gig in a yr or so from now. AB based til then.
Not sure what to expect, friendly folk I hope.
Maybe reg my truck with my son, BC plates?
Or maybe I’m just over thinking things?

TBark
Old 12-03-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
I start a BC gig in a yr or so from now. AB based til then.
Not sure what to expect, friendly folk I hope.
Maybe reg my truck with my son, BC plates?
Or maybe I’m just over thinking things?

TBark
With Covid you don’t want Alberta plates in some communities. The BC government has been great at pushing anti Alberta propaganda when it comes to Covid. BC loves to blame Covid cases on Alberta

I hear all kinds of stuff from friends and family in BC regarding this

Like I posted earlier different communities have different personalities. Some communities that are normally friendly are anti outsiders do to Covid right now too
Old 12-03-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
With Covid you don’t want Alberta plates in some communities. The BC government has been great at pushing anti Alberta propaganda when it comes to Covid. BC loves to blame Covid cases on Alberta

I hear all kinds of stuff from friends and family in BC regarding this

Like I posted earlier different communities have different personalities. Some communities that are normally friendly are anti outsiders do to Covid right now too
Would you mind posting some links to BC blamiing Alberta? I've not seen or heard anything.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Would you mind posting some links to BC blamiing Alberta? I've not seen or heard anything.
Sorry I lack in Google fu and link pointing skills
Old 12-03-2020, 10:33 PM
Banned

Remember all those albertas vehicle decals: FOff we're Full...
Old 12-04-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I've seen a lot of news articles come across my social media feeds warning BC residents to be wary of Alberta due to the large number of cases. My in-laws reside in the Elk Valley and the local talk there is of the Albertans bringing cases into BC. But to be honest, as long as I've been alive (48 years), there has been animosity between the two provinces. Especially in the south. I remember seeing a sign on the way to a provincial park around Kootenay Lake that stated "No dogs or Albertans allowed"
Old 12-04-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Probably because it never happened
Old 12-04-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
I've seen a lot of news articles come across my social media feeds warning BC residents to be wary of Alberta due to the large number of cases. My in-laws reside in the Elk Valley and the local talk there is of the Albertans bringing cases into BC. But to be honest, as long as I've been alive (48 years), there has been animosity between the two provinces. Especially in the south. I remember seeing a sign on the way to a provincial park around Kootenay Lake that stated "No dogs or Albertans allowed"
Social media? You will find anything you want to find on Facebook. I live the Kootenays, own a business here and have offices across the Interior. I don't know anyone who does not appreciate Albertans. They spend a lot of money in this town and it is appreciated. They also own a lot of property around here and they make good neighbors. Better than the city folk from Vancouver.

I'd recommend focusing on the opportunity BC brings right now and if you can work here and bring that money back to Alberta then great. Enough guys from bc have been doing the same I Alberta over the years.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Social media? You will find anything you want to find on Facebook. I live the Kootenays, own a business here and have offices across the Interior. I don't know anyone who does not appreciate Albertans. They spend a lot of money in this town and it is appreciated. They also own a lot of property around here and they make good neighbors. Better than the city folk from Vancouver.

I'd recommend focusing on the opportunity BC brings right now and if you can work here and bring that money back to Alberta then great. Enough guys from bc have been doing the same I Alberta over the years.
Born in BC, lived in the lower mainland, peace, caribou, skeena, and peace regions also spent time in a lot of other areas so been around just a little. I have only live in Alberta for the last 1 1/2 years

Lots of great welcoming areas/people n BC but there are plenty of areas with issues too

Some of Crazybrooks residents can be interesting but the attitude goes towards both Albertans and people from different regions in BC
Old 12-04-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:

I was referring to news feeds like CTV etc (not that they are a reliable news source!) and local media, not so much just random Instagram posts. I’m in agreement with you, I’ve had great experiences and spend a boatload of time in BC. But the vibe in the East Kootenay region has always been a little off-putting towards Albertans. I’ve experienced it first hand as I married someone from there and spend lots of time at my in-laws. Hasn’t stopped me from visiting, but I can see why some people get concerned. These weird times have people kinda flying off the handle when they hear a story and it gets blown out of proportion.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Probably because it never happened
Older story, but in some places, it has happened. Wish I could find the article I read about them warning of Albertan cases being a concern to British Columbia. I think it was in the Fernie Free Press but can’t find it. I’m not saying they have billboards up, but the message has been put out there once or twice. I travel back and forth and haven’t had any issues personally.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...ronavirus/amp/
Old 12-04-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Older story, but in some places, it has happened. Wish I could find the article I read about them warning of Albertan cases being a concern to British Columbia. I think it was in the Fernie Free Press but can’t find it. I’m not saying they have billboards up, but the message has been put out there once or twice. I travel back and forth and haven’t had any issues personally.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...ronavirus/amp/
I was actually referring to the posting stating that the BC Government was pushing anti Albertan sentiment, which never happened. Understandably, there's current concern about BC'RS traveling to certain areas in Alberta ATM and bringing covid back with them like the hockey team that recently did
Old 12-04-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
I was actually referring to the posting stating that the BC Government was pushing anti Albertan sentiment, which never happened. Understandably, there's current concern about BC'RS traveling to certain areas in Alberta ATM and bringing covid back with them like the hockey team that recently did
There actually was a couple of small newspaper blurbs where the bc govt was pushing some anti Alberta sentiments. Like I said, I’m sure I read it in the Fernie Free Press but I can’t find the archive. Not looking to fight. Just a comment. ✌🏼
Old 12-04-2020, 12:12 PM

I’ve moved numerous times between AB and BC over the years. Never had a problem. Managed militant union workers in the lower mainland for years, and on Black Friday, every worker came to me to wish my family back in Edmonton well. I’m on the Island now with two AB plated vehicles, no problems. Meet as many Albertans moving here as locals. The place is booming, lots of work.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:33 PM

That’s how it should be. I never understood the animosity both ways (aside from sports rivalry).