Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 04:24 PM

Default What happens to priority points when switching residence to BC?

Hey everyone. So I have some very high priority points saved up and I am currently thinking about becoming a BC resident and I am wondering how it would work? I have looked in the regs but didn’t have any luck
Old 11-28-2020, 04:42 PM

As long as you have a WIN number you keep your points no worries, I moved to Central Asia for 5 years and all my priority points were intact when I came back.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:47 PM

So they can just be used and drawn as a non resident then if I am living in BC at the time?
Old 11-28-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1234 View Post
So they can just be used and drawn as a non resident then if I am living in BC at the time?
Yes, other than the draws that non-residents are not allowed to apply in.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:22 PM

You can also keep applying and building priority points as long as it’s not a special draw for Alberta Residents only.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Quote:
Yes, other than the draws that non-residents are not allowed to apply in.

I have two non-resident brothers and had to figure all this out before taking them hunting this year for the first time.

Non-residents are only allowed to hunt antlered animals of each species with regard to special draw only licenses. General whitetail can be either sex during the 'either sex' period of the season which varies from WMU to WMU.

I had to do a "group draw" with the one brother for antlered moose and mule deer (we're in a General Elk WMU). As per procedure, in a group draw, the lowest priority is the one they base the draw on. I was a 1 when I started drawing with my brother two years ago so we're now 2 and 3 (he's two) so our draw, when I apply for it, will be based on his priority, not mine.

You will likely now have to do a group draw with a resident in order to get special draw license. As per my example, priorities matter. Call albertarelm and confirm about the draws and priorities ASAP so you don't make any mistakes come June of 2021.

I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-29-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwest View Post
you can also keep applying and building priority points as long as it’s not a special draw for alberta residents only.
this

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the help so far guys. So from what I am understanding is that with my high points in the 410 archery sheep draw I would not be able to build more points in a draw like this one that is not a non resident draw? Would I have to move back and become a Alberta resident if I wanted to draw this tag now? I have enough points to draw it
Old 11-29-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help so far guys. So from what I am understanding is that with my high points in the 410 archery sheep draw I would not be able to build more points in a draw like this one that is not a non resident draw? Would I have to move back and become a Alberta resident if I wanted to draw this tag now? I have enough points to draw it
Correct. You would have to move back for the required time to be a resident. Then start applying.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Correct. I'd draw it before moving if possible, only because 'point creep' will continue to happen and the amount of points required to draw will increase while you are away. Obviously if that's not a possibility then that's just one of the chances a guy takes (or that the draw process is changed, etc.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
I had to do a "group draw" with the one brother for antlered moose and mule deer (we're in a General Elk WMU). As per procedure, in a group draw, the lowest priority is the one they base the draw on. I was a 1 when I started drawing with my brother two years ago so we're now 2 and 3 (he's two) so our draw, when I apply for it, will be based on his priority, not mine.

You will likely now have to do a group draw with a resident in order to get special draw license.

Trying to understand this as a family member from BC may start building priority to hunt here....
could you not just both apply as “priority only” (formerly known as 999) and then do the group draw just when you’re actually trying to pull the tag?

In my case, I might pull the tag next year then he’ll be waiting on me one extra year in the group draw if he starts this year but if he finds someone else to draw the year prior to waiting on me he has that option