Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Banned

Default Sears liquidation is shady

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business...c.ca/1.4414953
Old 11-23-2017, 10:43 AM
Banned

bought a watch there not to long ago. at 30% off i paid less than i could find it for sale for anywhere else so i'm happy.

if i wouldn't have smashed the face on my last one i wouldn't have looked though.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:45 AM

Sears has Aways been shady,
Double the price and then put it on sale for half off
Old 11-23-2017, 10:52 AM

Maybe I'm just naive but I don't see how this is shady at all. If they want to price a t-shirt for $1,799.99 and mark it at 95% off, feel free.

This is happening across the country right now with Black Friday sales though. Prices have gone up since last week to alleviate the profit loss for a "big" sale. I've witnessed it first hand, not sure why Sears made the news for doing this.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Maybe I'm just naive but I don't see how this is shady at all. If they want to price a t-shirt for $1,799.99 and mark it at 95% off, feel free.

This is happening across the country right now with Black Friday sales though. Prices have gone up since last week to alleviate the profit loss for a "big" sale. I've witnessed it first hand, not sure why Sears made the news for doing this.
Umm ok. Maybe not shady, but illegal
To raise the price of an item before a sale and advertise as a certain % off is against the law. Im sure it goes on all over but Sears is much bigger than most. And under the microscope
If its not shady why were sears employees told to take merchandise to the back, cover up original prices with higher prices, then advertise as being said % off??
Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
Umm ok. Maybe not shady, but illegal
To raise the price of an item before a sale and advertise as a certain % off is against the law. Im sure it goes on all over but Sears is much bigger than most. And under the microscope
If its not shady why were sears employees told to take merchandise to the back, cover up original prices with higher prices, then advertise as being said % off??
Maybe it is shady, maybe it is illegal, I guess its more along the lines of I don't care and shouldn't have posted anything in the first place.

Sears, and others, some bigger than Sears, have been doing this for a very long time though.

Link

Link

"...these two stores are hardly the only ones that resort to inflated, arguably deceptive “anchor” pricing."
Old 11-23-2017, 11:25 AM

Stay away from the Sears sales...stay away! Very few items will be a great price while fooling you into buying the other items that you think are deals...that's how the system works, once your in their stores...they got you, it's hard to walk out without buying anything, so they mislead you...stay away, let them drown in their stock of items they are trying to sell...it's just like baiting!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-23-2017, 04:03 PM

And yet Sears in the USA is having some crazy good sales.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
And yet Sears in the USA is having some crazy good sales.
I heard that Brslk...but I believe they do what most big chains would do, lowball in some stores, and make up the difference in other stores so that it all kinda evens out in their favor..more or less! They are not selling items for the good of their health...they still want some profit at the end of the day...
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-23-2017, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

I know it may not be Sears that did this and is the liquidators, but I say good riddance. If thats how they want to treat customers I am glad they are gone.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:19 PM

If you look at the people who run the place you would see why it is the way it is, classic lumbaring corporation with the board and management bellied up to the trough and the employees and pretty much everyone else hung out to dry. Now you got the debt holders etc tryin g to wring every penny out of whats left....which is kinda their right, sears management screwed them over too.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:47 PM

Haven't stepped in any Sears since they did away of there auto service and tool department.....you can find comparable quality merchandise almost any where else other than sears for lower prices.....They were there own dimise.....
Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Looked at an item on deep discount at Sears yesterday. On sale $329, regular $549. Walked down the mall to the Bay. $299. Bay's quoted regular price was less than Sears' too. All you need to know about what's going on.