Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Newfoundlands Liberals brought in a budget calling for a 16 cent a liter gas tax,along with a Hike to the HST
It's pretty bad when even Mcleans magazine is criticizing the tax hikes and lack of government cuts in NFL.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Let's not forget that magic juice causes more fuel to be burnt.

Soon we will be taxed back to the stone age and there will no pollution save for a few wood stoves.

I mean

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
good, that way dippers can afford to build safe injection clinics for crack heads and give the unions their raises. and people like us get shafted.

Saskatchewan here I come
First off I believe crack is smoked in a pipe not injected. Second can we please change the broken record about Unions. Without unions non union outfits would not be paying living wages. Oh yea by the way say hello to all my Union buddies in Sask.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Just another Robin Hood scheme from Notley...

A guy I work with said that he would rather see a PST...that way if we are going to have to pay more taxes at least everyone is taxed at the same rate. Gotta say, given what the feds and provincial govt are doing, I can see his point. Although I'm sure the commies will find a way to give PST rebates as well.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Just another Robin Hood scheme from Notley...

A guy I work with said that he would rather see a PST...that way if we are going to have to pay more taxes at least everyone is taxed at the same rate. Gotta say, given what the feds and provincial govt are doing, I can see his point. Although I'm sure the commies will find a way to give PST rebates as well.
With a carbon tax in place and still looking to a projected $58B deficit we will be seeing a PST at some point. There is no way to keep up with the interest rates on the deficit without the government bringing in more money. For that they will need to either increase taxes or create another.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Banned

The sad part of the entire thing is even with massive tax increase we will see a debt load never thought possible.

The ndp have already increased gas taxes and now are primed to further increase for the next 2 years along with electricity and natural gas. Add on that increases in personal income tax, corporate taxes and sin taxes they still will have a record budget shortfall. You have to wonder where all that money is going.

They say their job creation program will create jobs, well round one was abandoned and round 2 will reduce unemployment from 8% to 8%. In my books that is zero>

I guess they used that new math to also figure out the budget too.

I have 3 years more before retirement and after that I am gone. They have destroyed this province in less that 1 year of power.

And who thinks we need more women in politics?
Old 04-15-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares1 View Post
The sad part of the entire thing is even with massive tax increase we will see a debt load never thought possible.

The ndp have already increased gas taxes and now are primed to further increase for the next 2 years along with electricity and natural gas. Add on that increases in personal income tax, corporate taxes and sin taxes they still will have a record budget shortfall. You have to wonder where all that money is going.

They say their job creation program will create jobs, well round one was abandoned and round 2 will reduce unemployment from 8% to 8%. In my books that is zero>

I have 3 years more before retirement and after that I am gone. They have destroyed this province in less that 1 year of power.

No!.... UnfortuNotley is a job creating powerhouse! Some see her as a smug, welfare state Marxist, but she is creating the heck out of jobs! Why she just up and waved her wand and created about 12 000 government jobs just around Edmonton. She did so well that Edmonton area got passed up for some of the increased UI benefits available to the rest of the province! And the best part is Aunty Notley and her Crue, is paying for all of it. Soon half of us will be employed by the state, and even the fast food workers will be making good money. We'll be rich! Isn't big government wonderful?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:29 PM

Politics is hard. How about this scenario... AB has accumulated huge dept by next election ... current one term Gov is defeated by WR but finds they need to impose PST to dig out so they are only one term ... PC's back to clean up and rule another 40 years.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares1 View Post

Just curious as to where you would move to as I find myself on the threshold of change (retirement)?
Old 04-15-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I think that you are forgetting something besides just your vehicle and home heating. Virtually everything that is transported will cost more including groceries and clothing.
Didn't you notice the price of everything has gone down since gas and diesel prices dropped? lol
Old 04-15-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Politicians think in terms of Big city people. Don't like gas prices, take public transit or peddle your bicycle, doesn't work for us rural folks, whose lives are built around having to travel long distances daily, no bus for us.

Grizz

Jeez.... The answer I get every time the prices go up at the gas stations is, "if you don't like the price, don't buy it! Great solution from all those brainy ones eh?
Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Jeez.... The answer I get every time the prices go up at the gas stations is, "if you don't like the price, don't buy it! Great solution from all those brainy ones eh?
sigh..... he means you city folks have options, transit etc. that out here we don't have, anyplace we go requires a vehicle....pretty "brainy" eh?
Old 04-15-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
sigh..... he means you city folks have options, transit etc. that out here we don't have, anyplace we go requires a vehicle....pretty "brainy" eh?

I known full well what he meant Hal. Just like the trucks, trains, ships and planes don't have any choice but pay whatever the companies want to charge for fuel products. Remember all those previous topics where no one cared what the price was? Yeah, you commented....
Old 04-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I known full well what he meant Hal. Just like the trucks, trains, ships and planes don't have any choice but pay whatever the companies want to charge for fuel products. Remember all those previous topics where no one cared what the price was? Yeah, you commented....
So...who in your mind should decide what they sell their product for?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:09 PM

The City of Red Deer reps stated on the news that they haven't had time to fully hash out the numbers, but that the carbon tax will likely have a multi-million dollar impact on the operating budget, and the only way to make up
the shortfall will likely be an increase in property taxes. Your cute little $500 cheque won't touch the actual cost of this tax, unless you still live in Mom's basement.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
So...who in your mind should decide what they sell their product for?

I know bud, it's a hard one to answer. The suppliers and retailers have to make a profit. That's only right. But that profit has to be tempered with being good corporate citizens. I'm not a fan of regulation of prices, I've lived through wage and price controls. Stores could charge $10 a quart for milk to increase profits, but that wouldn't be fair to kids would it? But it would increase their bottom line. They have a responsibility to the public and recognize it. Oil suppliers at times seem to feel they have no responsibility to anyone but themselves, forgetting and corporate citizen responsibilities. Esso for example used to sponsor Hockey Night in Canada and be proud of it. Now days I can't remember any corporate sponsorship from them to anything. Sorry, bit of a rant....
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know bud, it's a hard one to answer. The suppliers and retailers have to make a profit. That's only right. But that profit has to be tempered with being good corporate citizens. I'm not a fan of regulation of prices, I've lived through wage and price controls. Stores could charge $10 a quart for milk to increase profits, but that wouldn't be fair to kids would it? But it would increase their bottom line. They have a responsibility to the public and recognize it. Oil suppliers at times seem to feel they have no responsibility to anyone but themselves, forgetting and corporate citizen responsibilities. Esso for example used to sponsor Hockey Night in Canada and be proud of it. Now days I can't remember any corporate sponsorship from them to anything. Sorry, bit of a rant....
Nope. They have a responsibility to obey the law and maximize profits for their shareholders (many of whom happen to be humans) You want me to work my butt off so I can squirrel away a little money in oil company investments after all the damn taxes I've already donated to the country AND then you want to take that little bit extra away from me by making the oil companies moderate their profits so you can get the last little bit out of the proverbial turnip? Sick and greedy!!! Those Esso shares put food on the table for an awful lot of people on fixed incomes and you want to take it away from them!!

If stores charged 10 bucks for a quart of milk, people would find alternatives, make their own etc. OR, maybe they would happily pay it. OR other people would enter into the market if milk was so profitable.

PS: I'm also sorry for the rant. Just getting tired of all the people that don't seem to have any problem with trying to take something away from people that have earned it. Go get it for yourself if you want it so bad.

Last edited by rugatika; 04-15-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:01 PM

The alberta budget probably goes something like cross your fingers and hope oil goes back up..... this probably goes for alot of alberta businesses, people, and the government.

What happens if oil is 30-50$ for five years or longer?

How does some one else come in and clean this up? All those people working in government/health care and education roles are just regular albertans too, no different than the guy at the parts store or putting pilings in the ground. To think hitting everyone is going to solve the problems and everything will be fine is silly.

It is a lousy situation, a one trick pony got knocked right out.... everyone only gave two rips about producing the lowest grade least processed product that fetched the lowest oil price in the world at the highest cost, that was our economy, now we are stuck with it. Our government spent based on revenue from some of the lowest priced junk oil in the world.

The government is trying to keep the pain to a minimum because thats what people wanted, it probably isnt going to work well unless oil comes back to pay the over spending down.

The main gap is the 7-8 billion less in resource revenue... if oil was 100$ we wouldnt be talking about deficits next year or even this year
Old 04-15-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
You don't think we're taxed enough?

No. I think we're taxed FAR TOO MUCH!!!
Old 04-15-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
The alberta budget probably goes something like cross your fingers and hope oil goes back up..... this probably goes for alot of alberta businesses, people, and the government.

What happens if oil is 30-50$ for five years or longer?

How does some one else come in and clean this up? All those people working in government/health care and education roles are just regular albertans too, no different than the guy at the parts store or putting pilings in the ground. To think hitting everyone is going to solve the problems and everything will be fine is silly.

It is a lousy situation, a one trick pony got knocked right out.... everyone only gave two rips about producing the lowest grade least processed product that fetched the lowest oil price in the world at the highest cost, that was our economy, now we are stuck with it. Our government spent based on revenue from some of the lowest priced junk oil in the world.

The government is trying to keep the pain to a minimum because thats what people wanted, it probably isnt going to work well unless oil comes back to pay the over spending down.

The main gap is the 7-8 billion less in resource revenue... if oil was 100$ we wouldnt be talking about deficits next year or even this year
pain to a minimum...

Like shutting down the coal industry?

Damaging the oil industry?

Overtaxing those that actually can work?

Screwing over farmers?

What else...hmmm...

If that is minimum pain, max must be utopia.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Let's not forget that magic juice causes more fuel to be burnt.

Soon we will be taxed back to the stone age and there will no pollution save for a few wood stoves.

I mean
no no. See, wood stoves HURT the Earth. Global warming and all that jazz. They will be banned or better yet, taxed, very soon.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
On the bright side we are still the only province without the PST.
When the province is 50 billion in debt there will be little choice but to implement a pst.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
pain to a minimum...

Like shutting down the coal industry?

Damaging the oil industry?

Overtaxing those that actually can work?

Screwing over farmers?

What else...hmmm...

If that is minimum pain, max must be utopia.

You forgot to add the cumulative damage caused by:

-increase in federal income tax,
- increase in provincial income tax,
-increase in corporate & small business tax
- carbon taxes (gasoline, natural gas, electricity, u name it)
- increase to CPP and EI premiums,
- removal of income splitting,
- decreasing tfsa, the list goes on

But, as the good little Canadians we are, we'll just sit back and take it up the ass for the next few years.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
You forgot to add the cumulative damage caused by:

-increase in federal income tax,
- increase in provincial income tax,
-increase in corporate & small business tax
- carbon taxes (gasoline, natural gas, electricity, u name it)
- increase to CPP and EI premiums,
- removal of income splitting,
- decreasing tfsa, the list goes on

But, as the good little Canadians we are, we'll just sit back and take it up the ass for the next few years.
It would be interesting to see the actual numbers, and how much more an average family is being taxed since the two worst events in Canadian political history occurred.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
The City of Red Deer reps stated on the news that they haven't had time to fully hash out the numbers, but that the carbon tax will likely have a multi-million dollar impact on the operating budget, and the only way to make up
the shortfall will likely be an increase in property taxes. Your cute little $500 cheque won't touch the actual cost of this tax, unless you still live in Mom's basement.
Working in post-secondary, we had asked when the carbon and fuel tax levy were proposed, if government agencies / departments would be exempt and we were told no, only a select group and their companies would be 100% exempt. Our analysis has a significant increase in the cost of goods & services, vehicle fuel, gas and power. In Ontario this increase shows on invoices as a fuel tax levy. Smart move by the vendor's keeping the cause for the increase away from them and front and centre on the government.

For us it is odd that the government of Alberta gives out tax dollars to operate and then taxes them back on commodities. As the impact is to the fixed operating component, the only budget adjustment we can make is to the labor component. This will be a driver for decreasing service levels through a decrease in staff. Much like the minimum wage there will be adjustments made and these adjustments will impact people.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Working in post-secondary, we had asked when the carbon and fuel tax levy were proposed, if government agencies / departments would be exempt and we were told no, only a select group and their companies would be 100% exempt. Our analysis has a significant increase in the cost of goods & services, vehicle fuel, gas and power. In Ontario this increase shows on invoices as a fuel tax levy. Smart move by the vendor's keeping the cause for the increase away from them and front and centre on the government.

For us it is odd that the government of Alberta gives out tax dollars to operate and then taxes them back on commodities. As the impact is to the fixed operating component, the only budget adjustment we can make is to the labor component. This will be a driver for decreasing service levels through a decrease in staff. Much like the minimum wage there will be adjustments made and these adjustments will impact people.
It's all good if you are in an industry that can somehow pass the taxes along by a surcharge etc . but, eventually all those cumulative increases land at the feet of somebody who can't pass them along....guess who that is?
Old 04-15-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
It's all good if you are in an industry that can somehow pass the taxes along by a surcharge etc . but, eventually all those increases land at the feet of somebody who can't pass them along....guess who that is?
I don't have to guess on that one I spent several months reviewing what has happened in Ontario and the impacts of the our proposed Climate Change document which is now a guide to policy. We are in for a rough ride. I am surprised no one has brought up the budget estimates for 2017 and the steep increase in the Climate Change project expenditures.

Not sure where the outcome will be when you have this type of result from a study

American millennials want spending without debt, says new study

Millennials are in denial about the realities of growing debt, according to a new survey of Americans aged 18-35 by Citizens Bank. The survey found that more than half of respondents who were college graduates were unwilling to cut back on luxuries like sporting events, concerts, and travel to reduce their debt, although more than half (57%) also said they regretted taking out as many student loans as they did. The responses show a clear contradiction in millennial thinking, says Brendan Coughlin, President of Consumer Lending at Citizens Bank. He adds that millennials “are very committed to living their life the way they want to live their life, and as frustrated as they are by student loans, they are not willing to make those lifestyle tradeoffs.”

Globe and Mail
Old 04-16-2016, 06:29 AM

People need to see that this is part of a wider agenda of the "left". They are idealogues, and believe in an utopian type society, but the reality is, is that it is unacheivable. Period.

Economics and common sense state that if you have wants, they come 2nd to needs. If you go into debt, you need an accurate and structured plan that lasts a finite amount of time, not infinite, to repay that debt.

You cannot spend more than you make. It will never work.

Further to all of this, government does not generate wealth on its own, merely that which it taxes its citizens.

I'm a libertarian, but lean so far towards anarchy that I want the least amount of government intrusion. I want the minimum basics of their fingers in the pot.

The reason we are in the state we are in is because of more government picking up the baton of the last party, and giving away or stealing more of our money.

Cut taxes. Cut services. Run bare bones. Require people to make their own money. Communities need to support their own people in times of need.

The government needs to butt out of our lives and wallets. People are so blind to think that ndp, liberal, or conservative are all the choices we have. If they stopped thinking about how the government could provide, and protect, and nanny them, they could start to break free.

Canada, Alberta, we could do this but we're overwhelmed with a majority of gimmie gimmie type people, or socialist/communist type people that it seems unacheivable.

We're not like the USA. Their system is easy to rig. You need millions of dollars to try and be president.

We have a few things on our side. I fear though, thaf we will need an absolutely tyrranical government, and police state, and the scales will have to tip so much under oppression financially for the majority before people consider a change.

This is the beginning of a bumpy ride for Canada, and Alberta, and the orange queen and selfie the clown have only started. Truly, picked up what was left off.

We need actual, real change.

Close our borders. Cut services. Anyone illegally here leaves. Bring back capital punishment. Make a deal with Mexico that our criminals who get more than 5 years jail time go to a Mexican prison. Scrap fireams laws, self protection restraints, install property rights, establish a new charter and turf the old one. No more welfare except for those who truly need it. Keep jobs in Canada open for only Canadians. Refine our own oil. Keep our own resources. Canada may start to turn around.

Otherwise, see you on the other side of a failed country. Remember, we do NOT actually live in a democracy as it stands now.

Last edited by Twist; 04-16-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
No. I think we're taxed FAR TOO MUCH!!!
We still have the lowest taxes of any jurisdiction in Canada. If were taxed even the same as any virtually any other province, we'd be in a surplus situation.

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/busine...advantage.html

Lots of Albertans have always bragged we are smarter and harder working that other provinces, when its basically been the gusher of oil royalties paying the freight.

If high oil is never coming back we can live within our means by either increasing taxes to levels that much of the rest of the world pays, or we can cut, and cut hard - though will be interesting to see how popular the Wild Rose will be once rural hospitals start closing and classrooms hit 35 students per teacher.

I'd like to have seen spending capped and pencils sharpened, but there is not $10 billion per year in efficiency savings available. The tragedy is the party we've had for the past decade and the government didn't save anything.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
We still have the lowest taxes of any jurisdiction in Canada. If were taxed even the same as any virtually any other province, we'd be in a surplus situation.

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/busine...advantage.html

Lots of Albertans have always bragged we are smarter and harder working that other provinces, when its basically been the gusher of oil royalties paying the freight.

If high oil is never coming back we can live within our means by either increasing taxes to levels that much of the rest of the world pays, or we can cut, and cut hard - though will be interesting to see how popular the Wild Rose will be once rural hospitals start closing and classrooms hit 35 students per teacher.

I'd like to have seen spending capped and pencils sharpened, but there is not $10 billion per year in efficiency savings available. The tragedy is the party we've had for the past decade and the government didn't save anything.
There is no moral justification for taking half a person's wages in taxes.