Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 AM

Default AFGA responds to AEP Castle Final Plan

I was wondering what AFGA's responce would be about no allowance's for designated OHV trails in Castle for game removal in the final plan.

another lie to another organisation to get buy in. unreal. thanks for showing your true colors yet again shannon.

June 11, 2018
Honourable Shannon Philips
Minister Alberta Environment and Parks
208 Legislature Building
10800 - 97 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5K 2B6
Honourable Minister:

On behalf of the 25,000 plus members of the Alberta Fish and Game Association I must express our disappointment that the Castle Provincial Park and Castle Wildland Provincial Park Management Plan as released will lead to the elimination of all OHV use within the Parks.

While we recognize that previous lack of enforcement and irresponsible OHV use by some members of the public made restricting limited OHV use to designated, hardened trails (as originally promised) a necessary step, the complete disregard for those Albertan’s who have invested significant time and money into those trail systems and as well participated in the “consultation” process is extremely disappointing.

For the many Albertan’s whose ONLY means of getting into some of these areas to enjoy them is by means of an OHV, they are now being told they can no longer have that level of enjoyment and connection with nature that they had grown to love over their and their family’s entire lifetimes. In these times of a societal swing towards accessibility and inclusiveness, this is a definite step backwards that discriminates against a significant segment of our population.

As a conservation organization that supports the harvest of wild food this also restricts traditional hunting and fishing opportunities for many Albertans as it eliminates their means of getting into the backcountry to hunt, fish or gather, as well as their only practical means of removing a heavy harvest.

The AFGA asks that Alberta Environment and Parks reverse the policy of OHV elimination and allow limited OHV use on designated trails. We are not advocating for unrestricted, destructive use of OHV’s.
Yours truly,
Doug Butler, President
The Alberta Fish and Game Association
cc AFGA Executive
Old 06-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Interesting how Alberta is hell bent on keeping everyone out of the backcountry yet in another province, the poorest province in Canada N.B. is hell bent on developing their trail system for OHV's, snowmobiles, bikes and hikers all across the province to allow access and provide environmentally friendly trail networks.

https://nbliberal.ca/2018/06/investm...s-action-plan/

Investment of $15.78 million in Trails Action Plan
June 3, 2018
Your Liberal government announced the New Brunswick Trails Action Plan in St. Stephen, with an accompanying investment of $15.78 million.

“The provincial government recognizes the importance of trails to economic
development, particularly in rural areas. Beyond yielding economic benefits,
the Trails Action Plan will serve to enhance health and wellness
for New Brunswickers.” – Minister John Ames

The plan includes the development of 11 Signature Trails for multipurpose use, including motorized trails for ATV and snowmobile users, and greenway trails for hiking, cycling, and outdoor enthusiasts.

Signature Trails will focus upon product innovation with the intention of becoming tourism attractions which capture the province’s distinctive heritage, rivers, waterways, views, and topography.

Trails have increasingly become tourism products. With over 20,000 kms of developed trails in New Brunswick, the Trails Action Plan will elevate the province’s trails systems by improving accessibility, safety and overall user experience.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:54 AM

And we expected anything less??

Decisions were made a long time ago, and we will continue to lose more and more access. OHV's are just the easy hanging fruit which are the first to go.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
And we expected anything less??

Decisions were made a long time ago, and we will continue to lose more and more access. OHV's are just the easy hanging fruit which are the first to go.
X2.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:12 AM

just another example of organisations/individuals taking the government's word about a land issue, only to be stabbed in the back.

and there are still those to defend the NDP saying " my hunting or fishing opportunities wont get curtailed, cause the government said so"

just wait and see
Old 06-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
just another example of organisations/individuals taking the government's word about a land issue, only to be stabbed in the back.

and there are still those to defend the NDP saying " my hunting or fishing opportunities wont get curtailed, cause the government said so"

just wait and see
Well there's one guy on my ignore list that I'm sure will comment. I keep saying this over and over and over, it's just sad that existing laws and regulations couldn't be enforced further.

But they (the special interest groups) don't want that, they just want us all out of the eastern slopes. I predict that access will be localized to small little pockets of areas like Peter Lougheed Park with the Kananaskis lakes since they need infrastructure there for the Transalta services anyhow.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:54 AM

We are probably screwed as long as the NDP are in power. Not many on here are likely to vote them back in next time. My suggestion, join the AFGA. If it had 200,000 members instead of 25,000, maybe even the NDP would pay more attention, but if not, the Conservative definitely will. We need a strong voice with a large membership base, even if you don't agree 100% with their positions. There are far too many small fragmented organisations representing us to be effective.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Got to get this Y2Y NDP out ASAP.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 PM

So I'm guessing since that was the only map provided that's all we have access to? The big power line trail from the highway that connects to mill creek must be closed as well.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:20 PM

How hard would it be to reverse much of this with a new gov't? As well as joining groups, would it not be proactive to engage local politicians that do not follow the current path?

I'm not trying to turn this to a political discussion, I simply don't have the knowledge of such matters.

Would having a table with info at gun / trade / local markets be of any benefit? I don't think much of this is known by the general public, yet it is tax dollars currently funding such activity.

I've not understood why a wide open province doesn't have established trail systems for individuals and groups to explore across the province without having to utilize roadways. What ever became of the Trans Canada Trail for instance?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
How hard would it be to reverse much of this with a new gov't? As well as joining groups, would it not be proactive to engage local politicians that do not follow the current path?

I'm not trying to turn this to a political discussion, I simply don't have the knowledge of such matters.

Would having a table with info at gun / trade / local markets be of any benefit? I don't think much of this is known by the general public, yet it is tax dollars currently funding such activity.

I've not understood why a wide open province doesn't have established trail systems for individuals and groups to explore across the province without having to utilize roadways. What ever became of the Trans Canada Trail for instance?
You’ve mentioned somethings that have gone on. There’s been lots of rallies petitions, info tables and booths here in the south area since the whole thing began. Thing is they won’t listen and they don’t care. So far from my last 5-6 visits to the Castle area activity and people have dropped dramatically compared to 5yrs ago or more. So it seems to me that they are going backwards. But perhaps this is their whole goal. Maybe the mobile food trucks will boost the activity in the area.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
You’ve mentioned somethings that have gone on. There’s been lots of rallies petitions, info tables and booths here in the south area since the whole thing began. Thing is they won’t listen and they don’t care. So far from my last 5-6 visits to the Castle area activity and people have dropped dramatically compared to 5yrs ago or more. So it seems to me that they are going backwards. But perhaps this is their whole goal. Maybe the mobile food trucks will boost the activity in the area.
This is most distressing, as the logical spread is north. It would appear that there is nothing to be done except watch the erosion of freedoms.

At least the mountains can be seen from Calgary.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:13 AM

The Castle is pretty much empty, nobody in there. Nothing to enforce/police. Where are the crowds of ecotourists? If you build it they will come.....if you close it they will leave.....
Old 06-13-2018, 10:19 AM

Default Some of us tried to warn you guys

https://www.nontypical.org/news/2017...-castle-region
Old 06-13-2018, 10:42 AM

Yep, and Don used to be a moderator of this here forum.....
Old 06-13-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Yep, and Don used to be a moderator of this here forum.....
The enemy within
Old 06-13-2018, 12:02 PM

I guess that Meredith doesn't buy into any lame slippery slope conspiracy theories either.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
I guess that Meredith doesn't buy into any lame slippery slope conspiracy theories either.
He just wants it all to himself, kind of like the others.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Party members/supporters typically approve of party plans/policies.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:01 PM

"In recent years, increased pressures from motorized equipment have had a detrimental effect on the wildlife, their habitat and the watershed, which in turn has had an impact on those users that depend on the watershed."

yup, the wildlife(wolves and bears) are gonna love free reign on the game now that there are no pesky hunters on OHV's accessing their territory.

hope the food trucks are selling bear spray for all the backpack hunters.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:34 PM

And in the very near future at the West Castle Resort we will see a new golf course and probably a new hotel, But hey do not go off the road and bend over some grass and hurt the environment.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 PM

This is typical NDP. Take a group of 500 and ignore the group with 25,000 members because they don't agree with their policies. Then spin it so it sounds like the majority supported this non-sense.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:58 PM

Is any of this reversible?

Is this all NIMBY?

Unless much is private land, taxpayers have control, no?

I'm curious to watch what takes place in Ontario, which may take place here in the near future if people are stuffed enough to vote.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 AM

change in government then lobby your MLA, hopefully both are from the RIGHT party.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:41 AM

they even started a fake facebook group claiming to represent all the hunters and anglers in alberta. Except they are calling for a complete ban of ohv's on all public land and for massive restrictions on hunters and fishermen.
NDP is the dirtiest group of politicians that alberta has ever seen.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:34 PM

Well, anyone that used to like Hiking up to Bovin lake has another 15km to hike before the trailhead.....

http://bobspirko.ca/NugaraScrambles/...fSpionkop.html

I was planning a hike in the area this summer and had researched the above link. Then I saw on a hiking page the attached picture....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (52.3 KB, 100 views)
Old 06-28-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Kinda like some of the Hippocrates on this forum.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:53 PM

ooh ouch
Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Well, anyone that used to like Hiking up to Bovin lake has another 15km to hike before the trailhead.....

http://bobspirko.ca/NugaraScrambles/...fSpionkop.html

I was planning a hike in the area this summer and had researched the above link. Then I saw on a hiking page the attached picture....
Wow. Thats awesome.
Nice looking at the pics in the link, brings back memories. Looking forward to spending some days sheep hunting in that country this year again.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Wow. Thats awesome.
Nice looking at the pics in the link, brings back memories. Looking forward to spending some days sheep hunting in that country this year again.
To be completely truthful, after I posted that and then checked back on the FB site I was blasted by several castle park supporters who were in fact correct that this particular gate is from a landowner and the access to the lake trailhead is still allowed albeit a less direct route.

That said, I’m hoping for a few backpack trips this year before the full Y2Y ban comes into effect.