Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 02:15 PM

Default Respect

I agree with Dave, Further to that this is a private business and I am a guest, same as my computer is privately owned and AO becomes a guest that I invite. Same as AO can delete my posts, I can decide not to come on this site and the not see the advertising this BUSINESS hopes to promote and sell.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:21 PM

The problem is the subjects or topics allowed to be discussed are getting fewer and fewer and the clarity of what and when is allowed is becoming cloudier and cloudier. Does that not increase the workload?

I agree with what others have posted, condescension, sarcasm censorship and shaming seem not nearly as effective as consistent considerate order keeping but seems to be how this board is handled lately. There is no perfect solution to any forum but would more clarity respect and consistency and less shaming, condescension and sarcasm when the blurred lines are crossed maybe lessen the workload?

Seems like a lot of us are treated like a burden to be handled. Just slap the ban sign up by my name or disappear the post of this may or may not cross a line, it’s just my opinion.

I know I can be controversial and get carried away.
Carry on camping. Cheers.

Last edited by ganderblaster; 09-08-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:27 PM

Default Adding two cents reluctantly

I held this role for sure as long as any of you guys currently. It can be frustrating. Sometimes very frustrating. You feel responsible for the direction of the forum. At least I did. Some mods I served with couldn't have given a rat's arse and logged in once every two weeks. That made it real hard.

You also get next to no input from the people who actually own this house. Certainly not enough. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me for the owner, but that's low hanging fruit.

I will simply say this. If frustrations boil over to the point that you are tearing strips off people. That's never gonna end well. You will lose the respect of members that made people hold you in high regard, and caused them to ask you to be a mod in the first place.

I would count four of you five guys as my friends. That happened before any of you were mods. I would drop whatever I may be doing to help any one you guys, anytime. I really think highly of you.

None of you ever tore a strip off me or belittled me, so I'm lucky, but I have seen a fair bit of that lately.

Guys, just the very fact you opened up a Pandora's Box like this tells me you are all frustrated. But you fellas opened it, so please don't shut it. That would not be right. Like it or not, you will only get the temperature of the members if you let them have their say.

Members, please try and be respectful as you share your thoughts. The world needs less "angry" and more "friendly." And, whether you like these fellas, they are volunteers, and so many of the situations get quite tricky. It is impossible to be truly objective, and as some of you have said, some guys have a lengthy rap sheet. 8 bloody infractions...

Mods, my advice to you is if you feel you need to blast somebody publicly, then it's likely time to go back to having fun and being a poster. It is lots more fun. It really is. I'd never, ever do it again.

If you are frustrated, book out. Life's too short, and you are never gonna change human nature, and the latitude people feel when they are anonymous on the interwebs.

Let the owner have his employees play kindergarten cop and see how they like it.

The tension in this thread could be cut with a knife.

It's just not worth the stress.

If I offended anyone, forgive me, as that was certainly not my intent.

Guys, the world is full of enough angst. We are all in this together.

Last edited by sns2; 09-08-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
I agree with Dave, Further to that this is a private business and I am a guest, same as my computer is privately owned and AO becomes a guest that I invite. Same as AO can delete my posts, I can decide not to come on this site and the not see the advertising this BUSINESS hopes to promote and sell.
There is truth here and without members posting a forum does fade away. This has happened many times. With less members there is less content, without content you loose sponsors and in time the forum is gone

This is why mutual respect is important. Yes owners and mods can dictate the forum as they please but it doesn’t survive without members contributing

But I am just here killing time well I wait to see if a deer or elk swings by
Old 09-08-2022, 02:38 PM

Here is my perspective (and in before the lock, lol)…

The way I see it, while we are all guests here, but every contributing member here is also a volunteer: we all take our time to write posts, sometimes extensive, sometimes helpful, sometimes not so much, sometimes for our own entertainment, sometimes for others’. And I am not referring to those who exclusively hang around in the general discussion section. Cleary, mods (likely) put more of their time to do the job, but if you add two and two, there isn’t really that great of a deal of people with solid posts that make this place worth having. That worth having concerns everyone, the owners, the mods, and (useful) contributors; the two latter really aren’t that different.

What seems to be often forgotten, or so it seems when we are often reminded that this is a private business, is who the customers are of the said business. There would be no such place without the people who put their time to contribute and share their knowledge, stories, etc. And what I mean by this is that it often/always seems that the attempts to make this place better are heavily concentrated on moderation without any actual investment in the site itself to make it more attractive and functional, as well as secure. Most of the new members appear to be alts, someone asking for a spot to hunt, or simply don’t contribute. I haven’t been here that long, but can surely say it used to be more “exciting”, for the lack of a better word. At the same time, while I am not a member of many forums, but this is definitely, 100%, the most moderated place that I visit. And this has nothing to do with people who moderate, but likely the way the owners want it to be run this way. Which is also fine. However, there doesn’t seem to be much of a return provided the other way.

Anyway.. not really sure where I am going with this. I have zero problems with any of the mods and have great deal of respect for them, or at least the “active” ones that I got to know through their posts, etc. However, I also have great deal of respect for Dean, for example, which was earned exact same way, ie via his posts. I don’t get offended very often and really couldn’t care less what people think of me personally and maybe that is why when I read some posts, they may seem to be “extra” straight or “harsh”, but they make sense and I see that the person means no disrespect. Which I don’t think Dean meant any in his post above, as an example. There are other members who speak in such a manner, which is completely fine with me.

Again, not sure where I am going with this, lol… I guess we are all here because we want to and choose to (of course, until we are deprived of that choice, mostly caused by our own actions/words which don’t sit well with ownership). I think we all deserve respect and it should go all ways because we make this place what it is. Each party is important. It should be obvious, however, that there would be no forum with participants. Even those that you often wonder what the person is doing here in the first place, lol. It isn’t up to us, members, to make upgrades to software/platform this place is run on, but a lot of the rest is.

Not sure I made much sense, but it is what it is.

Edit: I should type faster or type less, lol. That’s quite a few posts after I started typing.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Are you suggesting I don’t give members respect? I am a mod and it certainly sounds like you are accusing me of that and suggesting I don’t deserve respect.

No, I'm not suggesting that. I have no idea how you came up with that.

If you have an issue with a mods reaction, talk to them, report it, talk to the forum owners… The wrong thing to do is call them out on the forums. That is the kind of thing that leads to reactionary posts out of frustration.

I made a conscious effort to be as vague as possible so as not to single anyone out.
I'm not trying to paint all Mods with the same brush because that is simply not the case.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:55 PM

I too agree with my interpretation of Dave’s post. I’ve been here a long time and I’ve seen the rise and subsequent fall of this site and I’m aware how few active members we’ve got. Most times I look bots or guests outnumber members 4:1 and there are usually less then 150 actual members online.
You could call it censorship but it’s not just that. So as to not slag a few guys who are trying to discharge their assumed duties I’ll generalise.

I expect a certain level of respect extended between members and mods and personally don’t have a problem with mods curbing “abuse”. However, for a forum to survive, members need the freedom to discuss topics and especially the important and relevant topics without someone coming along and deciding it’s a “charged” topic and shutting it down preemptively.
I’ve seen posts deleted for being a “derail” just because someone’s “opinion” didn’t match a mods.
We want to talk respect. I was sent one specifically juvenile message that took my participation from 100% to nearly 0% due to a post I made. Had the post been deleted with a PM that said “post was deleted for X reason” I would have been fine. The threat in the message and being called a creep however pushed me over the edge. This was on the evening of the day I had spread my fathers remains and I was a little more emotional then usual. If my permanent record is available to mods go have a look, I don’t cause much trouble here.

I want to come to a site and read opinions on the topics that matter as much as I want to read the derails and different opinions as that’s how we learn. I don’t want to be openly disrespected but I can handle a little friction as that’s the entire point of a forum. Let’s just say I don’t mind putting on the gloves when I log in but I don’t expect to put a helmet on.

From my perspective, if we don’t want any meaningful discussion and feel the urge to drop membership to near zero so we don’t have any add revenue or need to moderate anything… we are on the right track. If that’s what admin has told the mods then they’re killing it.

Like most, if I don’t like the landscape I won’t participate. Your playground your rules and I’ll prob take my crayons elsewhere.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:14 PM

Fair post Coiloil. Sometimes we all need to remember that real life is happening all the time to all of us, and this forum doesn't inform us of that. We dish it out with no understanding of what someone's day or week or year was really like.

Sorry for your loss. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-08-2022, 03:26 PM

An ode to a Private site public thoughts

We yearn to hunt and fish
While staring out the window
Wistful glances at the spouse
Angst builds in the gut

Boredom drives A need to click to read
and type to reply what we know is true
Thinking about buddies fishing and moose frolicking?
Nope. But alas…negative energy draw

We see politics and crime
Illness and fights and our minds blur
From joys of the outdoors
To anger of the indoors

We shout to not post
Anything we don’t agree with
While ignoring a fish picture or hunting story
And anger seethe towards an unknown acquaintance

To calm the soul
Don’t read threads of anger or fear
Read the fish and animal posts
Or how to fix a fridge.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-08-2022, 03:45 PM

Holding mods to a higher standard is a wonderful sentiment. If all members here aspired to hold themselves to that same higher standard. We wouldn’t really need a single mod
Old 09-08-2022, 04:34 PM

Lots of respect for doing a thankless job. I tend to not post too much but I'm glad for your folks' effort.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:35 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm not trying to paint all Mods with the same brush because that is simply not the case.
Then my genuine apologies for the misunderstanding.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-08-2022, 05:26 PM

I have seen a definite improvement in behavior on here with the current mods managing the threads.
You guys are quick to nip things in the bud before stupidity can gain any momentum.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I’ll help you out then. How about I just pack it in? Any other Mods you want removed? Speak now, or forever keep it zipped?
See ya
didn't you pack it in once before then came back you like it here I am guessing nothing wrong with that .
Old 09-08-2022, 05:37 PM

Well I was just reminded of this thread by someone else...

Pretty simple...

Free Speech, I believe, is part of these discussions...

To the ones that step"over" the line, ban their asses off! Or warn them.

Why shut down great threads because some no mind are idiots!

As Mods, you guys have the power to delete these idiots derailing threads. I know...been there once or twice...

All I'm saying is that recently, the Sask murders thread was shut down...Why? Because of one idiot. I don't agree with that.

My opinion, for what it is worth...
Old 09-08-2022, 05:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default A message from your moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Holding mods to a higher standard is a wonderful sentiment. If all members here aspired to hold themselves to that same higher standard. We wouldn’t really need a single mod

Ain’t that the truth, imagine a world of pure harmony but ain’t gonna happen so we have those that enforce rules, regulations, laws etc if not well we would live in pure anarchy.

But that being said those who are in the position to regulate etc need tact and delivery to keep peace and harmony which is a skill set in itself.

Not meant for the average person but perhaps can develop over time.

Obviously there are some issues and this is a good chat, seeing things from different perspectives can be beneficial as long as it’s respectful.

Don’t have to agree but being respectful is critical for all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 09-08-2022 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
People expect us to put up with crap as mods, because we have some 'higher standard' we are supposed to uphold. Well, if I wouldn't put up with something if you said it to my face, don't expect that I will as a mod either. I don't get paid enough to put up with abuse.

And, make no mistake, whining is abuse too.
Only my opinion, sounds like whining to me.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Well I was just reminded of this thread by someone else...

Pretty simple...

Free Speech, I believe, is part of these discussions...

To the ones that step"over" the line, ban their asses off! Or warn them.

Why shut down great threads because some no mind are idiots!

As Mods, you guys have the power to delete these idiot threads. I know...been there done it...

All I'm saying is that recently, the Sask murders thread was shut down...Why? Because of one idiot. I don't agree with that.

My opinion, for what it is worth...
There are a few on this forum with the unique talent for beating a dead horse , rearranging its position and beating it some more Many threads get locked simply because they go around in circles forever if we don’t.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Only my opinion, sounds like whining to me.
Exibit A. And you wonder why we get cranky
Old 09-08-2022, 05:50 PM

Ok people if you don't like what goes on change the channel or step up to the plate and make a difference. OH WAIT, you don't volunteer?? I did with coaching hockey, baseball, football. No money there either and lots of criticism from the others who did not get involved. Go figure!!! The Mods give their time with no compensation and YOU don't have to pay to use the site to voice your opinion on certain subjects. Thanks Mods but I do agree with some others that the ADMIN and owners should cough up a bit. Just my O-PIN
Come on people thrash me for being a volunteer LOL
Old 09-08-2022, 05:50 PM

A truer video has never been seen

https://youtu.be/MPMmC0UAnj0
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-08-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
There are a few on this forum with the unique talent for beating a dead horse , rearranging its position and beating it some more Many threads get locked simply because they go around in circles forever if we don’t.
Please don't get me wrong...

The "major" Politics/Covid threads were probably bad ideas.

At times, we have individual topics that will probably involve some kind of politics. So what?

Hey, I have dealt with a few mods and I have much respect with them.

I am far from being perfect, but I am passionate in some issues. I don't believe that is a problem if I'm respectful And if I am not...please let me know. I have thick skin.

You guys have a tough job...but deal with the derailers first, and, look after the great contributors, which we all know who they are...
Old 09-08-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Bet you the queen thread will go there. Lolol.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton resident View Post
didn't you pack it in once before then came back you like it here I am guessing nothing wrong with that .
How would you know that if you have only been here for a month?
Old 09-08-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Bet you the queen thread will go there. Lolol.
already halfway there
Old 09-08-2022, 06:17 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
Zing!!! Heck of a catch! Wanna be a mod?
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-08-2022, 06:25 PM

Just ban them. You can always unban in the future. 🤷🏼*♂️ The super thread idea didn’t work it just encourages the goofs to act like goofs in other threads. Those guys need to go to truth social and be with their people in an echo chamber.

Can you guys also unban stinky coyote for a week or so? there’s an active 6.5 Grendel thread and the guys probably chewing his arm off to get in on it.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Just ban them. You can always unban in the future. 🤷🏼*♂️ The super thread idea didn’t work it just encourages the goofs to act like goofs in other threads. Those guys need to go to truth social and be with their people in an echo chamber.

Can you guys also unban stinky coyote for a week or so? there’s an active 6.5 Grendel thread and the guys probably chewing his arm off to get in on it.
Tried that once. He couldn’t play by the rules. He ain’t coming back.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
Its on a public forum One can read

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I have sent the Administrator and Owners notice that I will be stepping down as a Moderator. January 8th will be my last day. Be kind to each other, and don’t get caught up in the whizzing contests that usually end up in an infraction or ban.
Regards
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Zing!!! Heck of a catch! Wanna be a mod?
I can't stop laughing
Old 09-08-2022, 07:27 PM

Being a mod is a thankless job. I did it for a while back almost 20 years ago on the Xterra Owners Club when online forums were just starting out. I’ve also been asked to do it on a two other forums I’ve frequented over the years but the answer is always going to be no. Too many tit-heads to deal with. I spend enough time leading people in my working career that I don’t need the aggravation in my off-time. I do appreciate the members who step up to take on the role though since it is needed.

As for the moderation on this forum I’m pretty happy with it. Mods do a good job of keeping things in check and while it may seem like censorship to some for the most part it’s the same topics being regurgitated over and over on any forum so the mods will have an idea what topics go sideways very fast and those one they keep a close eye on.

As for opening some threads up for reduced moderation I saw that happen the last couple years on HuntingBC. It was decided their Covid thread was going to be “anything goes”. I’ve never seen people who were supposed to have come together on a forum because they had something in common with each other turn as nasty towards each other as they did in that thread. I couldn’t believe the level some people stooped to just because others had a differing opinion. I found it so despicable I left the forum completely after being a member since shortly after it was formed 18 years ago. I saw good contributing members get stomped by others who were just there to cause issues. The only reason I could see that it was let go by the mods was because it increased traffic on the site and while that is true if they were to shut that thread down now there wouldn’t be much left. Hunting, fishing and almost all outdoors related content is just a fraction of what it used to be.

Anyway, keep up the good work guys. Some of us contributing members very much appreciate the work you do.
Closed Thread