Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 09:24 PM

Default Camper- fish shack- floor warmth suggestion

As mentioned above looking for ideas to keep the floor warmer. I am working on a skirting idea, stapling bubble back underneath. I bought some antifatigue matting with loonie sized holes- thinking the direct separation is obtained while allowing some draining.

Thinking on another floor with blue styrofoam in between studs but concerned of trapped moisture. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
Old 11-18-2019, 09:18 AM

Your on the right path with adding insulation it’s basically your only option .

Put a layer of vapour barrier and tape seams with tuck tape and you’ll be good to go!
Old 11-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post
As mentioned above looking for ideas to keep the floor warmer. I am working on a skirting idea, stapling bubble back underneath. I bought some antifatigue matting with loonie sized holes- thinking the direct separation is obtained while allowing some draining.

Thinking on another floor with blue styrofoam in between studs but concerned of trapped moisture. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
I have done the blue Styrofoam glued to the underside which worked well.
Bubble insulation is very poor and not work the effort in my opinion.

I would not skirt it as it would/could thin the ice. The water underneath the ice is above freezing so if you skirt/insulate it I would think the ice would thin. I have seen guys that have had snow blow up against their shacks and the fishing holes just kept getting bigger.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:31 PM

I assume you only care about a warm floor when you are actually fishing. Single best way to heat the floor, and even out the heat in the shack is to put a 12V fan in and have it blow the heat down. The fans out of an old computer are very low draw and will move more than enough air for your average ice shack. Ignore the Yellow wire when you hook it up to the battery, it is a pulse sender for your computer to monitor the RPM of the fan. Irrelevant in this application.

Really cheap option as the fans are free out of old computers. You can even run them off your Finder battery if you don't have any other 12V battery nearby.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:10 PM

I have a woodstove in my shack and 1 1/2" of rigid insulation (R6) under the subfloor and the floor still feels cold.

I added some ducting and a 5" computer fan to blow the heat from the ceiling to the floor and it was just what we needed. I tried a fan out of an old computer but had to buy a new fan to get enough airflow. I actually got too big of a fan and had to add a rheostat so I can adjust the speed.

Another bonus of the forced air heat is it keeps the holes from icing over!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ice shack heat duct.jpg (37.6 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg ice shack heat duct 2.jpg (35.1 KB, 270 views)
Old 11-18-2019, 08:32 PM

I have a couple computer fans already and a larger 12 volt fan from the auto wreckers pulled out of a bus. I use propane heat with a stove and a furnace if i can get it lit due to wind. On the stove i have a fireplace fan as well.

The top part is always warm its the floor that can be chilly. I do have some insulation where i can down under the benches that also helps out
Old 11-18-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post

Thanks
Paul
take it down and have them spray foam from under side no moisture issues it is closed cell foam had my one construction trailer done few years ago worked great

Mack
Old 11-20-2019, 02:13 PM

is sprayfoam a option??
Old 11-20-2019, 09:19 PM

Spray foam could be an option. Prob in next year. I looked at cnd tire as they had a spray foam kit wasnt sure if this would be good fpr the floor with holding moisture or not
Old 01-21-2020, 08:55 PM

Default Camper- fish shack- floor warmth suggestion

So loitering around peavey mart today and seen some rubber matting for horse stalls.

Some looks to be solid rubber and some is semi fibrous rubber 3/4” thick. Thinking about throwing down on the floor surface. I am a little torn as rubber boots are cold but dunlops are warm. Not sure if this 3/4” piece insulates like a brick or like
I guess guys working outside on rigs could maybe answer this the best.

Last edited by 220 Swift; 01-21-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:00 PM

The shack up at Slave has no insulation in the floor, just 3/4" plywood and with the wood stove stays nice and warm. Takes a while to get to that point but keeps the holes open on the second day. Floor will not rot as it always dries. Just our experience and we keep a fan running all the time pulling the warm air from up top to the floor.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:34 AM

Is this a home made shack or a converted camper. If it is a home maid shack I would put a under belly and spray foam it with high density foam 2"thick should be lots. I would do the same with a old trailer as well. Just make sure you frame in the holes and good to go.

Gbuss
Old 01-23-2020, 10:14 PM

Its an old camper
Old 11-05-2020, 07:35 PM

Could this work? (As a cheap, compact, easily storable source of extra heat.)

Use say 50’ of black tubing/hose as a passive solar heat absorber with say a solar powered computer fan blowing the air into the shack. It could lay on black plastic rolled out on the ice. Maybe clear plastic on top.