Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2022, 09:35 AM

Default Being kicked when you are already struggling

For ranting purposes only.
No pity expected or sought.

Came out this morning to find someone had somehow opened my truck hood and stole my battery. As many of you know, like others, I am coping the best that I can for my family. Money is so very tight but I am glad I have a house, am upright (now) and am able work to buy select food to support Us, my granchildren and their mom. No raise in 20+ years, wife on fixed income (disabled) and a Union contract that was voted in last week for a four year term which results in Zero, Zero 1% and 2%.
So, tired of what this world has become and the reasons that I can't understand.
Kindness and compassion which is in my soul is the only constant that I have control over to make me feel that I matter. To others and myself.
I'm just sad, that I became a victim, again as my truck cost $3300 when they punched out my door and ignition a few years back.

I have not posted in awhile as I had a five month health issue that I have been told cannot be recified and will most likely return to be treated for the fourth time. Not Cancer, thank god.

Thanks for reading, I feel better now.
Sending my love and best wishes to those who are in a worse place than I currently am. I will continue to just put one foot forward and seek the goodness that's out there, somewhere.

Please, be kind to someone today. It's in all of us to do so and my personal choice.

Peace.
Rick (AKA) FHD
Old 09-15-2022, 10:02 AM

Please, be kind to someone today.
It's in all of us to do so and my personal choice.

I like...
know the battles
Old 09-15-2022, 10:23 AM

If I had a spare battery to give you, I surely would. But no luck at present time.
I have a Coleman lantern to give if that would brighten up your life though
Old 09-15-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
If I had a spare battery to give you, I surely would. But no luck at present time.
I have a Coleman lantern to give if that would brighten up your life though
OMG.
THAT put a smile on my face. I LIKE IT!!
Thanks for the distraction and the kindness even for a minute.....
FHD
Old 09-15-2022, 10:46 AM

Where do you live? And what kind of truck? I might be able to help with a battery.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy View Post
OMG.
THAT put a smile on my face. I LIKE IT!!
Thanks for the distraction and the kindness even for a minute.....
FHD
That’s not a joke. Pm me your particulars and I’ll get it to you.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:59 AM

Sorry to read how cruel the world can be to a person. Try to believe for every negative happening there is a positive that will bring balance. Rejoice in knowing that thieves will always suffer bad Karma sooner or later. Have faith that all will be well. Wishing you better days to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pain and suffering.jpg (35.6 KB, 135 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-15-2022, 11:02 AM

PM sent.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-15-2022, 11:05 AM

If someone has in mind to buy this fellow a new battery, let the rest of us know. If a handful of guys pitch in a $20 its covered.

I'm down for $20.

Boys, skip a case of beer and let's help this guy out.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If someone has in mind to buy this fellow a new battery, let the rest of us know. If a handful of guys pitch in a $20 its covered.

I'm down for $20.

That’s what the pm was about, asking for his email.
I committed to $130, just need to send the EMT.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-15-2022, 11:23 AM

The best part of this place is seen right here.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The best part of this place is seen right here.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-15-2022, 11:37 AM

Uncle Dick to the rescue. Good for you pal.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:30 PM

To Everyone who responded to me via PM or posts.

I am again humbled by the response to this rant from such truly caring Albertans. I am kindly declining money offers, pity or anything but your good wishes. I just needed to vent.
My faith has been restored! That's worth more than any money could buy!

I am truly touched and now have a better frame of mind thanks to you all!

Kindness, it IS truly something magic! I feel it!

So thanks again all.
I am so grateful.
Rick aka(FHD)
Old 09-15-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Sorry to read how cruel the world can be to a person. Try to believe for every negative happening there is a positive that will bring balance. Rejoice in knowing that thieves will always suffer bad Karma sooner or later. Have faith that all will be well. Wishing you better days to come.
Thanks my friend. I didn't get a call...
I'm here.
Rick
Old 09-15-2022, 01:42 PM

Life is getting hard for so many. Then to have a criminal come by and steal property makes it even harder.

I was going to ask where you were at and get you a battery. But looks like that is not needed.

Frustrations are running high.
Lets all go for a walk around the block and identify the good in our neighbourhoods.

I cant say things will get better, but I can say we can always try to improve our day to day.
Cheers
Old 09-15-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy View Post
For ranting purposes only.
No pity expected or sought.

Sending my love and best wishes to those who are in a worse place than I currently am. I will continue to just put one foot forward and seek the goodness that's out there, somewhere.

Please, be kind to someone today. It's in all of us to do so and my personal choice.

Peace.
Rick (AKA) FHD
Amazing that even though you are going through struggles, you still have the kindness to send out well wishes knowing others may be in the same boat or worse. Shout out to you and the kind of person you are! This world needs more of people like you. I find it difficult to trust anyone these days and tend to keep to myself because I am constantly shocked by all the back stabbing, negativity and betrayal out there. Small town or big city- doesn’t seem to matter. Whether it’s theft or damage to property or deceit or lies or people doing unthinkable things to better themselves and consequently hurt others… it’s like it’s everywhere. But people like you… you are one of the good ones among many others here in the forum. I’ve vented struggles on the forum before and PMs always come in with advice or support or suggestions. I wish you enough fortune and health to keep you happy and humble my friend. You most definitely deserve it.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes View Post
Amazing that even though you are going through struggles, you still have the kindness to send out well wishes knowing others may be in the same boat or worse. Shout out to you and the kind of person you are! This world needs more of people like you. I find it difficult to trust anyone these days and tend to keep to myself because I am constantly shocked by all the back stabbing, negativity and betrayal out there. Small town or big city- doesn’t seem to matter. Whether it’s theft or damage to property or deceit or lies or people doing unthinkable things to better themselves and consequently hurt others… it’s like it’s everywhere. But people like you… you are one of the good ones among many others here in the forum. I’ve vented struggles on the forum before and PMs always come in with advice or support or suggestions. I wish you enough fortune and health to keep you happy and humble my friend. You most definitely deserve it.
Thanks. This is very kind of you.
I was able to assist and spend some time today with someone that I instantly recognized as having advanced rhematoid arthritis who was in the clinic today. The reason I knew the affliction was because my dad had it too. I believe he was the first person, or one of them who had total knee replacement in the 1970s in Alberta. It brought back memeries of him, how he NEVER complained through the pain, as his body, hands and about every joint was affected and morbidly twisted up. After speaking and assiting this kind lady, I smiled as I walked away. I knew at that point, he was with me.
He was an absolutely amazing man who would make light of his affliction remarking when we went on our yearly holiday in the Okanogan that "I hope we don't break down, because if we do and I have to hitch-hike and I stick my thumb out, they wouldn't know which way I was going"!!! Still makes me laugh.
He said just before he died that "God gave me this disease because he knew I could handle it. I wouldn't wish to have anyone else experience the pain I have been through for so many years".
Dad is with me today, with all the kindness, I shed a tear as I miss him and thank you all for the encouragement, offers and the attention my post brought. It touched my heart and gave me strength.
Tomorrow will be a better day. My issues are small, I just needed to realize it.
Wishing all peace, love, laughter and prayers towards those coping the best they can in their own journeys.

Rick (AKA) FHD
Old 09-15-2022, 04:13 PM
Gone Hunting

For a lot of years I lived paycheque to paycheque.
Often there was little in the cupboards to feed the kids and bills that had to wait till the next cheque. And through all that I worked, often earning good money. But my first wife could spend it faster then I could make it.
It got pretty depressing at times.

But things turned around. My present wife can make a dollar buy ten dollars worth and give her change.
So now we own our own home, on an acerage. My truck is paid off and so is her car and so is the property.

I'm retired now and our combined pensions are more then what I earned per month the last few years I worked. But without the expenses that come with holding a job. Like the daily drive to work, and lunches and work clothes.

I can't say it will turn around for you, but it could. In the mean time, I offer whatever help I can give.
I could buy you a battery, if that works for you, not as charity but payback for all the help I recieved over the years.

Or I could round up some garden produce if you are close enough for that.

We are family, here at AO. Never forget that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-15-2022, 04:17 PM
AO Sponsor

I love this forum! No matter how grumpy or annoyed we can be at day to day living, this group always steps up to help their fellow man whenever it is needed...

Great people!!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-15-2022, 04:42 PM

My family recently sold our battery business in Red Deer. I can probably get one at wholesale cost from the new owners if that helps.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:09 PM

Send me a PM if you need anything. Will be glad to help!...
Old 09-15-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:

I'm down for $20.

I am in for $20 too, just post your email for the e-transfer here….
Old 09-15-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:

I'm down for $20.

Sign me up for $20 as well - good idea
Old 09-15-2022, 08:48 PM

Its actually quite easy to pop open the hood with a screw driver.Folks with grill covers makes it much harder.

Id be on the look out,thief knows you had to get a new battery.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I love this forum! No matter how grumpy or annoyed we can be at day to day living, this group always steps up to help their fellow man whenever it is needed...

Great people!!
100% Ditto that !!
Old 09-15-2022, 11:03 PM

Looks like you have lots of $ offers of help.

If you are in Calgary I’d be happy to get you out fishing on Lake Sundance for a day of relaxing in a boat or if you prefer more fast pace fish catching.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-16-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Its actually quite easy to pop open the hood with a screw driver.Folks with grill covers makes it much harder.

Id be on the look out,thief knows you had to get a new battery.
Ya, that was what I thought too. Come back in a few days and collect the replacement. It's unsettling but a reality these days for those so desparate for their next fix or food. I found one for $85 that I will pick up tomorrow after I cash in my empties at the bottle depot.
FHD
Old 09-16-2022, 08:49 AM

Consider buying a locking battery box for your truck. Or even a good bicycle cable lock secured around your battery and frame could stop a thief from taking time to take your new battery.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-16-2022, 09:08 AM

Default Thieves

Good morning FHD with your attitude I have no worries about you, but for the thief May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your crotch.