Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Default Stock Fixes

I have an old Parker Hale 30-06 and right behind the receiver, there’s a crack about 1.5 inches long but very shallow. I’m paranoid if I use it again, it would just splinter and cause a lot of pain. I used gorilla glue in it, duck taped it for 3 days to glue could cure and it seems to be good now. Anyone else use gorilla glue to fix their stock? It’s an oldie, so more than likely the wood just dried out (won’t let me upload a photo currently sorry!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2019, 11:02 AM

Not sure about gorilla glue but if you can get your hands on some accraglass and get it in under the crack you can glue that sucker back tight. If the glue is holding it tight for now I would just shoot it and keep a close eye on it. If the bond does not hold or the crack gets bigger stop right away and get some better glue.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 07-08-2019, 11:04 AM

You have to take the gun out of the stock and see just how deep the crack goes into the wood. If it really is just a surface crack due to the wood drying and crazing then Gorrila glue is fine. Most of the Parker Hales I have fixed, like so many Mauser actions, that crack goes a lot deeper than just the surface. For those, glass in a pillar in the rear screw hole, glass the tang, recoil lug and front screw. That will do a permanent fix as the crack is caused by the action moving in the stock on recoil. Gorilla glue spackled on top will not fix the problem.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You have to take the gun out of the stock and see just how deep the crack goes into the wood. If it really is just a surface crack due to the wood drying and crazing then Gorrila glue is fine. Most of the Parker Hales I have fixed, like so many Mauser actions, that crack goes a lot deeper than just the surface. For those, glass in a pillar in the rear screw hole, glass the tang, recoil lug and front screw. That will do a permanent fix as the crack is caused by the action moving in the stock on recoil. Gorilla glue spackled on top will not fix the problem.

I am afraid if I take it out of the stock or get to a smith and do it, it won’t be repairable as I want to keep it original. Although what you’re saying, I definitely would feel safer with doing it the way you explained. It didn’t look that deep when I took a magnifying glass to it, but underneath I’m not sure. I appreciate your help!

Old 07-08-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMB View Post
I am afraid if I take it out of the stock or get to a smith and do it, it won’t be repairable as I want to keep it original. Although what you’re saying, I definitely would feel safer with doing it the way you explained. It didn’t look that deep when I took a magnifying glass to it, but underneath I’m not sure. I appreciate your help!

Until they crack in two aand even then they are repairable. It will be easier and cheaper to fix it properly now than if it gets worse from shooting it some more. Where are u located? .
Old 07-08-2019, 07:00 PM

I have a Marlin 336 with a “split” that developed behind the tang. I “opened” up the crack with a fine (hacksaw) blade and filled the void with bedding compound. Seemed to have worked fine. I was going to add a cross countersink brass rivet just to be on the safe side, but it was not needed.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Until they crack in two aand even then they are repairable. It will be easier and cheaper to fix it properly now than if it gets worse from shooting it some more. Where are u located? .

I’m in Blackfalds

Old 07-08-2019, 07:37 PM

http://www.hillbillyarms.com/

If u aren't sure or confident fixing it give him a call. He can repair it. Dan does very good work at reasonable prices.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-08-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
http://www.hillbillyarms.com/

If u aren't sure or confident fixing it give him a call. He can repair it. Dan does very good work at reasonable prices.

I’ll definitely keep him in mind, thank you!