Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 09:56 AM

Default PAL Verification for Sale

I did a PAL verification for the sale of a NR this morning. The 10 minute wait for service was a pain but I suspect was less time than many wait...but long enough to make it worth a call to my MP to suggest ways to improve.
Also, was surprised that no “transfer number” is issued. Clerk said things are “status quo” with no information that changes are in the works.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Default The worst is yet to come

Key measures in Liberal firearms legislation that went through final approval after the House of Commons adjourned in June will not take effect until cabinet passes special orders on a date that has not yet been set.

Firearm lobby groups who fought the legislation tooth and nail say they expect the measures might not be put into force before the October federal election.

Public Safety Canada quietly issued a statement after the bill received royal assent on June 31 stating that only some the bill’s “technical” amendments to the Firearms Act took effect immediately after Governor General Julie Payette signed off on the legislation.

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/07/03/no-d...aw-into-force/

So far nothing has changed with NR sales
Old 07-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Why are you calling ANYONE...? Don't support this Draconian policy. And BTW, it's not mandatory yet.

Do your due diligence, ensure their PAL says it's valid, send the rifle on its way...

Old 07-11-2019, 11:14 AM

I also have a call in to my MP over some recent dealings with the CFP.

Brutally pathetic service, regardless of what the laws are
Old 07-11-2019, 11:44 AM
Banned

The transfer number portion of c71 isn't in effect yet.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Why are you calling ANYONE...? Don't support this Draconian policy. And BTW, it's not mandatory yet.
Do your due diligence, ensure their PAL says it's valid, send the rifle on its way...
If payment went sideways ... IE: did not clear the bank, it would be interesting to explain to the "authorities".
Old 07-11-2019, 01:23 PM

I don’t blame you for calling and verifying the PAL. How else do you know the buyer didn’t get a weapons prohibition in court last week or last year?

It’s not required, but it’s ok to go above and beyond.

As for the transfer number, I wouldn’t expect them to issue one because you didn’t transfer anything. You just checked the buyer was legally allowed to buy your firearm.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:24 PM

You only have to follow the law the way it is currently written not what it will say in the future. Bunch of scared sheep on here going above and beyond the current law.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
I don’t blame you for calling and verifying the PAL. How else do you know the buyer didn’t get a weapons prohibition in court last week or last year?

It’s not required, but it’s ok to go above and beyond.

As for the transfer number, I wouldn’t expect them to issue one because you didn’t transfer anything. You just checked the buyer was legally allowed to buy your firearm.
Even if it's a NR firearm, most of my deals are with people I've ever met, so in the interest of protecting myself...I do verify PALs. I don't (personally) believe it's bending "to the man"...it's about keeping your OWN name out of the newspaper.

They always get nosy about who is calling, and it's NOT currently required for the person calling (seller, in my case) to provide proof of THEIR own PAL, even though they ask. I don't even offer my name, and I've never been asked for it either.

FTF deals~I don't phone-in PAL#s. If the person has a good trader rating on that other site, and produces a PAL when we meet~all good.

I know guys who are happy with getting the # alone, and never call the RCMP to verify. They're fulfilling the legal end, but adding a small element of risk too. Just the way I see it...not trying to convince anyone of anything.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I did a PAL verification for the sale of a NR this morning. The 10 minute wait for service was a pain but I suspect was less time than many wait...but long enough to make it worth a call to my MP to suggest ways to improve.
Also, was surprised that no “transfer number” is issued. Clerk said things are “status quo” with no information that changes are in the works.
Transfer number?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Transfer number?
I thought that once 69 came into effect, when a transfer was made, the buyer would complete the transfer like happened before?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
I thought that once 69 came into effect, when a transfer was made, the buyer would complete the transfer like happened before?
Well its 71 not 69 and that part hasn't been published in the gazette so it's not officially in play yet.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
You only have to follow the law the way it is currently written not what it will say in the future. Bunch of scared sheep on here going above and beyond the current law.
Yep. Sheep will always run to where they are "herded" by the dogs of the "shepherd" .
Old 07-12-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
Yep. Sheep will always run to where they are "herded" by the dogs of the "shepherd" .
Whoa there ... that’s not very nice. You have no idea why I made the call to verify which was called for given the circumstances. Not sure how much experience you have buying and selling firearms but given your trader rating of “0”... maybe not so much?
Old 07-13-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Whoa there ... that’s not very nice. You have no idea why I made the call to verify which was called for given the circumstances. Not sure how much experience you have buying and selling firearms but given your trader rating of “0”... maybe not so much?
Yep you are right ,yet again !!