Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-23-2014, 11:13 AM

Default cartridge conversion

I am currently looking at picking up a custom rifle that is chambered in 8mm mauser. Not the best cartridge for the availability of ammo, so what I am wondering; is it possible to have this barrel re-chambered for the 325wsm? Slightly shorter case, and slightly bigger diameter, would mean the barrel would have to be set back a bit, but a possibility.
I have never personally owned a 325wsm, but do reload for a few people that love theirs.
Are there any 8x57 fans out there that think I am crazy to change it, or is the transformation a good move? What is the availability of shells like?(am I off-base in this thinking?)
Pro's and cons?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:18 AM

Lots of load data available, or an easier conversion would be 8mm/06.
I think the 8mm case chamber is a tad long for the WSM case, I may be wrong however.
Bolt face will have to be opened up as well for the WSM case.
Cat
Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 AM

I had one chambered for 8 Gibbs it almost the same as the 325 WSM, mine would shoot 200 gr, at 2800 fps
Old 07-23-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Lots of load data available, or an easier conversion would be 8mm/06.
I think the 8mm case chamber is a tad long for the WSM case, I may be wrong however.
Bolt face will have to be opened up as well for the WSM case.
Cat
..or 8MM.06 Ackley Imp.

Actually I have an 8/06 that is very nice. Sits with most of the others but it is nice. Shoots well, looks good, but never gets to go anywhere.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM

I have had an 8mm-06 Gibbs for almost 40 years. It is a good solid hitter but does require lots of TCL, and fire-forming. It is a full wildcat and there is not much load data, and the data that exists is somewhat questionable. AFAIK there are many variations and no standard Gibbs reamer specification, so all guns really are individuals and must be treated as such. IIRC David Henry has most of the Gibbs reamers, I suggest asking his opinion.

The 8mm-06 is a more standard semi-wildcat without (AFAIK) any SAAMI specification but some load data is available in older manuals. There were a lot of these conversions done to surplus rifles in the 50s & 60s when 06 brass was next to free.

The factory ammunition available in North America is normally loaded to minimum pressure as there is quite a variation of action strengths that have been chambered in 8x57. If you have a quality built large ring Mauser 98 that has been inspected properly, then you may want to first try loading to European CIP pressure levels. I think you may be pleasantly surprised as it is a very potent cartridge that performs very much like the 30-06. Your throat has probably receded and you may be able to load closer to the lands with a 57 case than an 06 due to maximum magazine length.

I suspect it will be easier and cheaper to find new 8x57 brass than to re-chamber and purchase custom dies. The dies do come up for sale occasionally but due to the variations of reamers may not be correct for your chamber. Ask Dave Henry if he can make a die with the same reamer he uses for re-chambering.

I suggest you have a good gunsmith assess the wear on your feed rails and the accuracy of any scope mounting holes as Bubba did a lot of scope mounting on these actions. There are also a lot of variation in actions and yours may not be a common specification which may limit your stock availability.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 07-23-2014, 12:52 PM

Come on, 8x57 isn't rare or hard to come by. Top notch caliber in the 30/06 class. I'd just leave it. Think you're going to find short mags increasingly difficult to find in coming years and given the nature of the case, about impossible to work up.

Grizz
Old 07-23-2014, 01:03 PM

Not looking to go in the wildcat route, just plain and simple. I haven't looked too hard for actual 8x57, just recall they were tough when I wanted some to make 9.3x57.
I don't want to rebarrel, as part of the custom Job was a beautiful hammer forged/twist barrel, and therefore the desire to stay with .323

Last edited by oldgutpile; 07-23-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-23-2014, 01:24 PM

You should be able to find some 8x57 brass fairly simply. I used to have piles of it, but sold it all years ago. Maybe put up a WTB ad. Or PM dadirk here at AO
Old 07-23-2014, 01:34 PM

8 mm is the european version of the 30-06 ......actually the 30-06 used to be the 30-03 then the usa got a whiff of what zee germans crafted in their high pressure slick 150 gr spitzers for the 8mm mauser ,re-engineered and voila 30-06.

i used to own a mauser 98k from 1939 snipered up and worked very hard for a handload and got it shooting moa at 100 ....... case closed, sold it , but it seemed very efficient ....wouldnt shoot bigger bullets ,only 150s ....... however that was a 70 year old battle/military rifle ....was using rl -15 as well (none to be had lately).will require handloading since factory ammo is downloaded here for the former version of the 8x57

im unfamiliar with the merits of the 325 ,but in my book the 8 mm mauser is a winner for a game rifle ...... think my load for it was 51.5 gr of rl 15 and it spitted it out at 2850-2860 /24" barrell ,slick ballistics for what 90 % case capacity...... just guessing there, but very efficient non the less , im my opinion i wouldnt change the calibre ...... give it a whirl since you do handload ....... just have to use something other than rl15 unless you got some horded ,plus youll have a fairly unique calibre (over here anyhow).
Old 07-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Check out tradeex - the have once-fired Norma brass and new Prvi listed for 8mm Mauser/8X57.

karlster
Old 07-23-2014, 03:10 PM

I have 50 once fired 8X57 and a set of dies I never use if you can't find any, the 8X57 loaded properly is a good cartridge
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM

Default options

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlster View Post
Check out tradeex - the have once-fired Norma brass and new Prvi listed for 8mm Mauser/8X57.

karlster
Looks like Tradeex has pretty much everything! As long as I know that components are available, I will definitely check out the ballistics and groupings from the gun before I would go to the extent of rechambering.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:54 PM

Default options

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I have 50 once fired 8X57 and a set of dies I never use if you can't find any, the 8X57 loaded properly is a good cartridge
Thanks for the offer. I just may hit you up on that!

All this is of course pending if I can come to terms with the seller
Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 AM

If you can find 30-06/25-06/.270 brass you can make 8mm out of them easily. Cut them down close to where they need to be, put lots of sizing grease on the inside of the mouth and outside and run them into a 8mm die. Now trim to exact length and Voila you now have an ample supply of 8mm brass. I use an electric pencil engraver to scratch out the 30-06 on the brass. I have been doing this for years especially in the early 80's when the rifles were cheap but ammo was scarce.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:41 PM

I have converted one Mauser rifle to a WSM cartridge and getting the magazine to work well was a struggle. I do not consider the WSM series to be a good choice for a Mauser. I would stay with the 8x57. Brass isn't that difficult to find although loaded ammunition can be a bit difficult. The thing is, once you have it, you have it and you are fine. I made a 8x57 for myself and bought a bag of brass which I feel will be a lifetime supply. Leeper
Old 07-24-2014, 02:31 PM

8x57 brass is not rare.
I also have some that you buy if you want (mainly S&B)
Old 07-24-2014, 08:48 PM

Default incoming!

Thanks all! I made the deal, and the gun is on its way home. Gonna stick with the 8x57, at least long enough to try it out and see what it will do.
Recommended best load/ bullet weight?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Recommended best load/ bullet weight?
My rifle likes Norma 196 gr jacketed
http://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Hunting/8x57-JRS/

It finds the Lee C324-175-R variable / inconsistent
but REALLY likes the custom LEE 8MMMAX
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...roduction_Mold
My mold gives me 250gr bullets and likes SR4759
AFAIK this mold is only available from Midsouth Shooters (or maybe from Lee directly).

Good Luck, YMMV