Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 10:34 AM

du Marore, Used to smoke 2 to 3 pks a day when I was working on the race car, (Drag Racing, Sling-shot Rail), woke up one morning and my throat was on fire and I could not get a breath, (so I thought,) started pounding myself on the chest, reach over, grab them cigaretes, crutch them and have never looked back. That was in 1965. To help you with your problem, quit cold turkey, and I do not know what else to tell you. Do I feel the need? yes I do, but as one so elquently put it, you are stronger then that!! and I still wish I could spell.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:44 PM

I quit after 37 years. sitting in the bar drinking beer and smoking, it was legal 13 years ago. The key for me was I put a half pack in the glove box. I always new that if I really wanted one it was there. But I knew the first one would be the hardest to have after that it would be a habit again. The freedom of knowing they were there was all it took. Plus I had to have hot water in the morning rather than coffee. I don't remember how long it was before I could safely have a coffee again. Also I never could have done it without my wife, I never ranted at her but in front of her few times, I remember feeling the veins in my neck bulging as I cussed and yelled. She stayed pretty calm and said "your body is detoxing". One more piece of advice, avoid people you don't like.
Doug
Old 07-15-2019, 01:48 PM

I honestly didn't have a whole bunch of trouble. Had my last cigarette after a night shift while walking my dogs. Used an e-cigarrette for maybe 6 months tops with no nicotine in the "juice". Can't remember any bad cravings or anything. Think maybe I was ready to quit. Smoked for 22 years. It will be 5 years quit next week for me. One of the best things I ever did.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:16 PM

Quit with champix and a lot of resolve. Lit one up after a bone head move and I couldn't even take a drag.
My beer consumption went up as it relax me same as a cigarette did.

Have a reason to quit and set a day that is going to be your quit smoking date and follow through.

You can do anything you really put your mind to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Banned

Arrow

Keep smoking until the point where you get hospitalized, with your Missus crying her eyes out and desperately clutching your hand, as your lungs refuse to contract and expand. And the fear inside becomes so real you can taste it.

Not highly recommended btw.
But I did get through that.
And when the SawBones suggested I had less than two years if I didn't give it up, I tossed my last pack in his office garbage can and never looked back. Now doubled that with four years behind me, and looking like a fair few more.

Best of Luck.
And please don't wait as long as I did!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 07-15-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
My brother smoked for 30 + years and tried to quit many times many different ways. He found a $50,000 jet boat he liked and figured out if he put his smoke money towards buying the boat it would pay for the boat in less than
8 years. He has not smoked since and enjoys the boat and says his food tastes better plus the girlfriend says he stinks less.
Ha, that's how I quit chewing.
Bought a Grizzly!
Old 07-15-2019, 05:09 PM

Pack a day (25) for 15 years unless I was drinking then it was 2-4 packs a day....I tried quitting cold turkey many times ..never worked. So when I eventually did quit I had to taper myself off...From a smoke every 30 minutes to one an hour..then 1:15 then... you get the drift...kept my morning and night time smokes the same...till about 2 weeks into the weening process..then slowly crept the morning smoke ahead a bit at a time . Then after a couple days started backing up the night smoke up. Then I was down too 3 smokes a day, then 2 , then one......Worst smoke I ever had...then I made it 24 hours I figured if I can quit for 24 hours then I am good, so I have quit for 24 hours a day for 32 years now!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Banned

For me, it was easy. I smoked 1-2 packs a day for 30 years. I picked up a vape and never looked back. Currently I am at the lowest level of Nicotine and probably should just drop the whole thing. I am just not there yet. I have some hints if thats what you are thinking. Everything changes when you quit smoking.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I used a e cigarette and took me about a year. I really slowly cut the nicotine level back till there wasn’t any at all. After I used the e cigarette with no nicotine for a few months I just started chewing gum. I tried lots of other ways but this

Was very painless for me.

X2

This worked really well for me and I have been free for over 5 years now. I would suggest changing when you normally light up to shake up the sub-conscious aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 09:07 PM

I chewed for 16 years at the end was a large can a day. As soon as my son was born i decided i wanted to see him grow up so i quite. It has been just over 9 years. If you want to quite find a reason and do it.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmd View Post
If you want to quit find a reason and do it.
Health, wealth, toys, lifespan, the other guy can do it, -30, social pariah, your love life, you name it. As said, pick any reason then the job gets easier. Good luck!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-15-2019, 09:28 PM

Default Quitting Smoking

Everyone's different.
I smoked two packs a day and quit for 22 months. In those days you could smoke in the bars. Sitting with some colleagues said give me one of those. Away we went again.
Then quit for 18 months, same thing.
I used to smoke cigarettes, then a pipe. When couldn't smoke in the refinery, I used to chew my pipe tobacco.
In 1985, I took out my last cigarette, opened my matches and low and behold it was my last match. Lit up that cigarette and smoked it like any other, but it was my last.
Like others have said now the smell stinks.
I still have fleeting moments especially when I am out trolling around the lake or sitting by the campfire.
Just keep trying. They claim nicotine is more addictive than cocaine.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:17 PM

There are a lot of good, supportive comments here.

Print these couple of pages and when things ‘get rough’ and the temptation is really bad, read them over. You’d be surprised how a few words of support can get you through.

And remember, those rough moments are temporary. The benefits of quitting stay with you. Odd as it might sound, all of us who have already quit know exactly how you feel, and we’re rooting for you, and we’re inviting you over to join us.

Last edited by Oldan Grumpi; 07-15-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 PM

It’s a tough one to break free from, us quitters know that road all to well, I used Champix until I thought I had it beat.. then continued to use Champix for another 4 months...then the urges were somewhat bearable over time they became less frequent, as was mentioned earlier, be tougher than the cravings..
Good luck, I wish you the best.. you can do this!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 07-16-2019, 01:05 AM

I started smoking in 1984 and stopped three years ago almost to the day. I was a pack a day smoker for most of that time but had it down to about a pack every three days for the last year. I just couldn't get past having a smoke in the morning, one after supper and a couple in the evening. I'd toss and turn all night if I didn't have one before bed. We were waiting for the taxi to pick us up to go to the airport (we were flying to Newfoundland or Nova Scotia for vacation). My smokes were sitting on the counter and I was about to grab them when the taxi showed up. I decided that was a good time to finally quit, seeing as how I couldn't smoke in the rental car or hotel anyway. I figured if I got desperate enough, I could always buy a pack there. I never smoked again, I had to chew nicotine gum to help with the restlessness though. I ended up chewing the nic gum for about a year after quitting the cigs but I switched from nicotine gum to regular sugar free gum. Now I've almost cut the gum out entirely. I quit drinking alcohol a year after quitting the cigs. I'm practically a saint now. I figured I'd have lots of extra money once I quit smoking and drinking... nah... I just spend it on other things.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:49 AM

I really appreciate all the comments from AO folks.

Developing a plan now and will heed all advice posted. I think I've got some good solutions here!

Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Just say no. Don’t light up a smoke. I quit probably 10yrs ago to support a friend who was trying to quit. I told him it was easy, just don’t light up a smoke because you don’t smoke anymore.

It’s tough, but you’re tougher, just remember that.
1984, Doc says I hear a little wheeze in your lungs, quit now you should be OK.

I dropped that pack of Du Maurier's in the trash can and never had another.

Just do it.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:01 PM

Similar to many of the above comments, but I was usually 40-50 cigs a day. And only for about 7 years. Didn’t like what it was doing to me. I practised quitting several times until I got it right. My mind played cruel tricks on me, telling me I could have a puff, have half a cig, just don’t buy, pretty soon back onto smoking full time. A big trigger for me was mixing hash or hash oil with tobacco. Got me every time. Finally clued in to what my triggers were.

As said above, you have to have the motivation and the determination, you and you alone.

Often, during the first months after quitting, the temptation was so incredibly powerful, that I would promise myself, I’ll only abstain for the next minute; let’s see what the next minute brings. And then look for something to distract me. And then say the same thing the next minute when it came along. But each time, you have to review in your mind your determination, and don’t let your mind try to fool you.

I can still remember the scene at the intersection in 1983 where I threw out my last pack of cigs. And said never again. And stuck to it. Have had countless nightmares (real dreams while I’m sleeping) of starting again. The most recent just a couple months ago.

I’m a firm believer that once a smoker, youre a smoker for life. You can decide to abstain and the abstaining part does get a lot easier, but you’re still a smoker.

The only mishaps I’ve had was several years later my girlfriend couldn’t get her smoke lit when it was windy so I lit it for her. And once someone handed me a doobie with tobacco in it and realized the tobacco part after I’d had a hit. Both times, immediately, the addiction was back, the mind tricks. But, thankfully, it wasn’t near as bad, nor did it last as long.

But so far, I’ve held true to my conviction to not start ever again.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:05 PM

I quit cold turkey many years ago. I convinced myself that if I made 24 hrs I had quit, so after 24 hrs I told everyone I quit. After a couple of weeks I stopped thinking about it every waking moment and after a year or two I didn't even think about it anymore. After about 5 years the odd craving disappeared. Well worth the effort, if I was doing it now I would go for the money angle. Pick something you want, not a need, but a desire. Put the cigarette money towards that and save for it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-16-2019, 05:20 PM

First you have to seriously want to quit. Then it's easy. It took a heart attack in 2017 to wake me up, then I had my last smoke while riding to the hospital in my coworkers car and I gave him the rest of my smokes. Done Deal
Then the ride to the second hospital in the ambulance and the procedure putting in the stents refreshed my decision.

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
Would love to hear your suggestions o quitting the addiction. What worked for you. What didn't. How did you do it.

I would be considered a heavy smoker (20 per day) need to stop but the addiction certainly has me.

I know I need to make the change but looking for help or suggestions I guess.

Thanks AO

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
In short this is what I just did. I started with breaking all the bad habits within the habit eg..after dinner smoke or jumping in your truck and lighting up are just a few. I did that for awhile then started bringing only half the smokes that I would normally bring in a day for work then 2 then 1. The whole time not restricting myself after work. Next thing I knew my bank account started to grow and that was the next push to quit. I did buy a e-cig to take of the edge and it does work so careful you don't want to trade one habit for another. I now save an extra 800 a month I didn't smoke that much(405) must of been all that other crap I would buy coffee, chips, gum ect....the best thing I ever did and more less I did it on my terms,i tried everything else with no luck. You can do this
Old 07-16-2019, 06:55 PM

After smoking cigarettes for about 30 years I decided to stop. I tried the gum and the patch, ended up back on the smokes. I tried a cheapo e-cig and it took the edge off but I still bought a pack here and there. I ended up getting a higher power e-cig unit that cost about one weeks worth of cigarettes and it did the trick.

I still love the smell of burning tobacco, but last time I had a smoke it tasted terrible. I think the main thing is you have to want to stop.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:27 PM

I quit at a most opportune time, during a flu. after a week of going smokeless, by the time the flu wore off, the worst part of the nicotine craving was gone too. it's been well over 30 years now smoke free after being a pack a day addict.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:34 PM

Smoked a pack a day for about ten years and had several unsuccessful attempts at quitting. Tried, patches, gum, sprays etc. but ended up using Champix and have touched a smoke in over five years now.

Feel much better and have more cash for more important things
Old 08-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Banned

I was a heavy, then light, then heavy then light smoker for 20 years. Recently I have bought a vape. I bought a little one for work where I can get a quick puff and then I bought a little bit bigger one for outside of work. Instead of a pack a day, I have bough 2 20 packs this week, and I still have the second pack with most in it.

The juice I got is 6mg nicotine, and I got root beer float flavor. After the first week of using the vapes, I'm still more expensive going to the vape, but if I stay on my current path, or get lighter on the smokes, I will have spent less by switching to the vape.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:53 AM

Some of you guys have pretty strong willpower.

I loved smoking and was at 8 packs a week when I switched. I used the gum but now I am addicted to the nicorette gum.

For 3 years I haven't had a smoke but I chew gum from when I wake up until I go to sleep. I only take it out to eat. I haven't quit anything, only switched addictions. I feel like the gum is probably better for me, it's cheaper and I don't get road rage when I'm on a family trip nearly as often now.

I might have to take up smoking to get off this gum, for now I'm content with this though.

p.s. Chewing gum for 16 hours a day gives you jaws like a pit bull. I could probably bite pretty hard at this point..
Old 08-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Smoked for 20+years and have not had a smoke in 11months now

For myself I smoked 1/2- 1 1/2 packs a day for something to do and routine more than anything. It just got expensive and I wanted to improve my health.

Realizing why I smoked was the key to quitting for me. I had to keep myself busy with projects and have gum or something to fiddle with. Every time I felt the need to smoke I worked on a project, chewed gum or played with a pen really anything to keep busy. The worst was my morning coffee and I mentally had to fight with my self not to smoke. Breaking the routine of after coffee, when I got in the truck, well drinking, or following friends out for a smoke was tough

It took about 6 months before the want to smoke stopped. Up till then I would randomly get up off the couch to go out for a smoke and had to think oh that is right I quit.

Keep yourself busy and focus on breaking your routine is what I recommend. Beating the habit of lightning a smoke during certain acts is huge in my opinion. Beat those moments and the rest of the day is easy

Good luck
Old 08-03-2019, 11:24 AM

Excellent thread. Hats off to everyone who posted they have quit chasing the smoky dragon. And thank you for sharing. Inspiring and even necessary to help some people know they are not alone in their quest to quit.

This is going to sound real bad but I started smoking when I was 4 or 5. My father smoked but never in the house so when he was going to go outside he would sometimes let me light his Black Cat cork non filtered cigarette. I didn't inhale or take a puff...just light it. Started regular smoking in my late teens. I have smoked off and on over the past 5 decades. Have quit cold turkey for a year or 3 and then pick it up again for another year or two. Then quit again. Smoking a few a day presently but NEED to quit for good. Tobacco is such a foolish waste of life and money.

Physically, nicotine will leaves your blood within 1 to 3 days after you stop using tobacco, and the cotinine will be gone after 1 to 10 days. The human body replaces the plasma in your blood every 2 or 3 days. Knowing this if a person reaches for water or a piece of fruit/veggie and get up and move around every time they crave a smoke for the first 10 days the physical addition will be beat. The blood will be clean and lungs absorbing CO2 more efficiently. Then what's left is the psychological addiction.

I wish and hope that everyone who is suffering from smoking finds their inspiration and succeeds in stopping the madness. Thanks for letting me share because it can help pave part of my path to a smokeless future.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 08-03-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Lots of great advice from people who have been there and done that. Champix or Wellbutrin help with cravings but they can cause some pretty heavy nightmares. It has already been said that you have to want to quit and you have to want to avoid that next cigarette. Finding a new habit to keep your fingers busy helps. With the money saved from cigs you could get a guitar, fly tying or reloading gear.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Lots of great advice from people who have been there and done that. Champix or Wellbutrin help with cravings but they can cause some pretty heavy nightmares. It has already been said that you have to want to quit and you have to want to avoid that next cigarette. Finding a new habit to keep your fingers busy helps. With the money saved from cigs you could get a guitar, fly tying or reloading gear.
Much more than a guitar and a few small items. In 5 years a person could save enough for a tremendous hunting or fishing trip anywhere on the globe.

If a person was a real risk taker, take the ten dollars a day saved from smokes and buy 10 dollars worth of penny stocks a day. In 20 or 30 years the stocks could result in a bundle.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets