Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoroni View Post
Be glad it was just one and not an entire kitchen...

Cabinet Building-1 by Trevoroni, on Flickr
That's a crime scene waiting to happen
Old 07-15-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks. It makes me feel better to know someone is feeling so much pain.

Great for a raffle idea. Instead of guessing how many Jelly Beans are in the jar.

Just place a finished Ikea Dresser on stage and guess how may fasteners are in it.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:08 AM

Doing a whole kitchen really isn't that bad. You get in a groove pretty quick. Did a kitchen, two bathrooms, bedroom wardrobe and a few desks with all Ikea products. Didn't mind the assembly process at all.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Doing a whole kitchen really isn't that bad. You get in a groove pretty quick. Did a kitchen, two bathrooms, bedroom wardrobe and a few desks with all Ikea products. Didn't mind the assembly process at all.
Real question. You can buy pre-assembled, very nice cabinets made of solid wood for pretty reasonable prices many places. How much did you actually save buying the un-assembled stuff and at $30 an hour was it anywhere near worth what you saved?
Old 07-15-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Real question. You can buy pre-assembled, very nice cabinets made of solid wood for pretty reasonable prices many places. How much did you actually save buying the un-assembled stuff and at $30 an hour was it anywhere near worth what you saved?
Where? All the places we got quotes for our cabinets used the same or less quality of stuff as IKEA and our quotes came in at over twice the price.
It took myself roughly 16 hours to assemble all the parts and pieces and probably another 16 or so to install everything.
In our case it was $7,000 for everything from IKEA including the countertops.
The equivalent installed from any of the custom cabinet places around here were 15k. It was worth the savings for us.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I'll be honest, I didn't spend much time looking around. I've had a number of friends and relatives that have redone kitchens, so I had an idea what they spent and what the quality was like. A few of similar sizes that were custom ordered were roughly double the cost and some looked like crap after a year of use. The only people I've talked to that did low to medium budget kitchens that would have gone with the same product again were people who went the Ikea route. I have zero complaints with mine.

I had a look at Ikea's products while I was on holidays to get a sense of what I liked, which features appealed to me and which color I wanted. The online design tool was easy to use, ordering was simple, delivery to Regina was $79 and I was able to pick it all up in one load. I spent a day assembling by myself and a day installing with help. Sure there was a day of labour there assembling, but the people I know who installed prebuilt units into old houses struggled a lot more dealing with the actual installation.

Going the Ikea route at normal price may not be a huge savings, but their frequent sales at 10 to 20% make a difference. Ikea used to have a loophole that their $40 extractor fan was considered an eligible appliance to get the 20% for buying 3 appliances, but they've caught on and it is no longer part of the deal. The value probably depends on how capable a person is with the assembly and install, having somebody who has done the work to lean on for advice.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Thanks Nova. That is a great answer, balanced as well as detailed and I learned a bunch from you taking the time to provide the information.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:49 PM

Ikea stuff isn't that hard to assemble. Its when you get to step 50 of 52 and realize they shorted you one screw that you have a real problem. Of course its a screw you cant just buy from any hardware store either.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-15-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Yup I'm with nitro

35 by 22 foot greenhouse with some assembly required makes Ikea look like a childs jig saw puzzle.
Quote:
Quote:
I will trade you 3 dressers for a greenhouse
There were no bags of hardware just boxes of the stuff with many bags inside!
Old 07-15-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
35 by 22 foot greenhouse with some assembly required makes Ikea look like a childs jig saw puzzle.

There were no bags of hardware just boxes of the stuff with many bags inside!
Ours was 8x16 thought that was bad enought think your size would have drove me all the way mad
Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Yes there is a reason they have a 1-800 number for nothing but a kitchen help line at IKEA. After about the 3rd cabinet of yelling and calling the help line twice I gave up for the day and went home. Horrible drawings, little instructions and you always find that when you are on the last page to the final assembly you realize that you need to take 1/2 of it apart to install the final piece. You need to start at the back and work forward in the instructions to see when you have to do this critical part of the install that they fail to address. Very reminiscent of putting those cheap Chinese BBQ's together. Happened to us 3 or 4 times in assembling the sister in laws so called kitchen.

On a side note my daughter loves to put this crap together, to her it makes total sense. We found this out about 20 years ago by accident when I was trying to put together a dresser. When she went to U of A she put an ad up on the wall and advertised in the paper to assemble IKEA crap for 20 bucks an hour and couldn't keep up with the work she was so busy.

Virtually paid her car loan off from IKEA.