Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2019, 07:03 PM

Default Deer Deterrent

Dam deer are eating the garden, she ate the lettuce, beet tops and the last straw is my peas. Anyone tried and succeeded with some kind of deterrent other than having to fence.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 PM

ive heard egg shells have a certain scent that they avoid
Old 07-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Go to your local barbershop and get a bag full of human hair. then get an old pair of your wifes nylons and hang nylon bags of hair around the yard and garden.. works like a charm
Old 07-12-2019, 08:14 PM

I went to Peavy Mart & bought a back yard garden size electric fence, just put it up yesterday with my trail cam out & waiting for them to come back, last week they ate all the rose buds/flowers on our rose garden.

I was told this may help .....

Irish Spring soap repels mammal pests, such as mice, rabbit and deer. It does not repel insect pests. Irish Spring soap does not always eliminate pests completely , but can be a helpful tool to reduce the rate of attack on plants.

How to Deter Deer With Irish Spring Soap.

1. Drill a small hole near the top of each bar of soap. ...
2. String your rope through the drilled hole and tie it in a knot.
3. Hang the other end of the string from a branch or post near the deer's head and feeding height.
4. Cut the bars of soap into quarters or similar size pieces using a sharp knife.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 PM

Motion activated predator recordings placed in or around the perimeter of the garden might work. Or a timed dispenser that sprays predator scent once every couple hours. Deer rely on smell quite a bit. Deer don't like strong smells that screw with their sense of smell.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 07-12-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
I went to Peavy Mart & bought a back yard garden size electric fence, just put it up yesterday with my trail cam out & waiting for them to come back, last week they ate all the rose buds/flowers on our rose garden.

Irish Spring soap repels mammal pests, such as mice, rabbit and deer. It does not repel insect pests. Irish Spring soap does not always eliminate pests completely , but can be a helpful tool to reduce the rate of attack on plants.

3. Hang the other end of the string from a branch or post near the deer's head and feeding height.
4. Cut the bars of soap into quarters or similar size pieces using a sharp knife.
Irish Spring...nasty stuff. Cannot imagine bathing or showering with it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-12-2019, 11:38 PM

Trick i read about a while back and seemed to work a few years ago when the wife had the garden going last was relatively simple: Posts at the corners of the garden. Then clear monofilament fishing line every couple of feet running from post to post nice and tight. The theory is that the deer can't see it but get spooked when they bump into the line. Dunno how much truth to it but got told the other day to do it again for the garden for this year.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post

We have left Irish Spring bars in our cabin. Next season we found big chunks of the bars were gone.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:59 AM

Thanks everyone, going to try a few suggestions
Old 07-13-2019, 08:02 AM

Good guard dog that likes chasing wild animals, will keep deer on their toes and find less risky eats.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Deer Deterrent
270 cal - 130 gr. or a big tall fence around your garden good luck
Old 07-13-2019, 08:47 AM

The mule deer are ravaging our neighborhood, so the neighbor bought some spray that is supposed to keep rabbits and deer away, and it seems to be working. It comes in a spray bottle and smells nasty.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Dam deer are eating the garden, she ate the lettuce, beet tops and the last straw is my peas. Anyone tried and succeeded with some kind of deterrent other than having to fence.
There is a product called Bobbex that works well. Also heard on the local garden radio show that using those Christmas laser lights that normally project onto your house work as well...seems they don't like the constant moving of the lights.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Banned

.270 with a noise suppressor
Old 07-13-2019, 07:50 PM

Plastic snow fence. Lay it on the ground (Horizontily) surrounding the garden

Maybe use two strips deep or far enough across so they dont jump it. Deer hate those small open squares in that plastic snow fence.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
There is a product called Bobbex that works well. Also heard on the local garden radio show that using those Christmas laser lights that normally project onto your house work as well...seems they don't like the constant moving of the lights.
That Bobbex stuff (from Canadian Tire) really does work. We had no end of deer trouble until we started using it.

Then trick is to spray a tiny amount on something absorbent like a brick of some short pieces of wood, and space them out. We're into our second summer on the first bottle, and I doubt we'll run out, it lasts easily from one rain to the next rain. Don't get it on your hands, though, I think it's make from wolf urine or something. Smells like it anyway!
Old 07-13-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da'Newf View Post
Trick i read about a while back and seemed to work a few years ago when the wife had the garden going last was relatively simple: Posts at the corners of the garden. Then clear monofilament fishing line every couple of feet running from post to post nice and tight. The theory is that the deer can't see it but get spooked when they bump into the line. Dunno how much truth to it but got told the other day to do it again for the garden for this year.
This has worked for me for a few years now and the deer come right in my front yard but everything that is fenced off it keeps them out of
Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 AM

Pee on a rag and hang it near the garden. Works in Newfoundland.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:27 AM

Moth balls thrown on the ground will keep deer away in the middle of the forest.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Good guard dog that likes chasing wild animals, will keep deer on their toes and find less risky eats.
Worst idea on the thread. Harassing wildlife is never okay (and is illegal), let alone at a time of year when they have young that might be killed by an aggressive dog.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-14-2019, 08:07 AM

Tried all that stuff
Problem with the dog suggestion is I spend a bunch of time conditioning my dogs NOT to chase deer.
We finally just put up an electric fence - total cost about $350 with a small A battery powered transmitter. Used tape rather than wire so they have a visual cue.
We only put it up 4' high, was worried that they might jump it, but apparently my neighbour's fence had conditioned them.
If it's an issue, a friend of mine suggested that we condition the deer by putting peanut butter on the tape in a few places.
Apparently that works.
Anyway no deer in the garden anymore (or dogs)
No excuse not to go out and weed now.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:58 PM

Orbit motion activated sprinkler.

I had the same problem and have installed two of these this year; haven’t lost anything to the deer since. The only down side is leaving a dedicated garden hose strung out to them.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Default Deer Deterent

We fenced our garden right away and have found that's the only cure for Deer.
We planted 15 young poplars and tired Fish Line, the spray you mix with water that has blood, garlic, all kinds of good stuff in it and it worked for a couple days. Electric fence going up this weekend!!

The green house we buy our stuff from out by Linden, they have rubber snakes hanging in their tree's and he said that's the only thing that works for them. He buys them at the $ store??

Gabby.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Dogs do what dogs do, if they chase coyotes, skunks, porcupines, bears, and deer out of our ranch yard and garden where they do not belong, they have earned their keep!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da'Newf View Post

We have been doing this for years to save our Lilies and it works. We actually saw a Moose come to the Lilly garden for a snack on day and as soon as his nose touched the fishing line he backed off and wandered away. The key is to use green fishing line as they can't see it even in the daytime. They can see white fishing line, and they treat it as fence wire and stick their head between the lines.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Worst idea on the thread. Harassing wildlife is never okay (and is illegal), let alone at a time of year when they have young that might be killed by an aggressive dog.
A couple suggested shooting those deer. How is a dog the "worst " idea?

FWIW ..... My dog pees all around my back yard and I get no deer at all.