Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 02:53 PM
Banned

Default Employer making someone work for free?

So I'm a 3rd party at a fab shop in AB, where the foreman makes guys work for free or else they are fired.

Example: Welders get repairs, he makes them fix it on their own time or they can hop in their truck and leave. Another example, making a guy work the whole day for free cutting apart spools or he has to hop in his truck and find a new job.

Is this even legal? I know some of the guys who have worked for free are asians who don't speak english well... so right there they're being taken advantage of.

Does anyone on AO have an answer? CLAC shop.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:57 PM

Definitely not legal and definitely shady. If I were them, I would be documenting all the free hours and I have a feeling they will get paid for it all via the Labour Board.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:00 PM

Any place I’ve ever worked you got paid to fix your repairs or screw ups. But I would consider fixing my own repairs or screw ups but not anyone else’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Definitely not legal and definitely shady. If I were them, I would be documenting all the free hours and I have a feeling they will get paid for it all via the Labour Board.
Yeah I thought it was pretty greasy too. I guess when jobs are little to none it's easy to be scared into thinking you're gonna lose your job. Since I am a 3rd party contractor I am not going intervene directly but I'll pass it along.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:04 PM

Could there be an agreement where they are making up for extra holidays or something like that? Or it is for sure they just aren't being paid?
Old 07-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Could there be an agreement where they are making up for extra holidays or something like that? Or it is for sure they just aren't being paid?
Nope definitely not any extra days off or anything like that. I've heard of guys coming in early, staying late, all for free. There are some spools that need to be cut apart soon so I will hear more but so far from what I have heard is they have been made to work a day or 2 free to keep their jobs.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Yeah I thought it was pretty greasy too. I guess when jobs are little to none it's easy to be scared into thinking you're gonna lose your job. Since I am a 3rd party contractor I am not going intervene directly but I'll pass it along.
If you’re a contractor, and you’re making mistakes you should be fixing them on your own time. Not sure if the Asian guys are though.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:17 PM

Forcing to work without reimbursement is contrary to labor standards and should be a slam dunk with the Labor board if the time can be proven.
Trouble is if he thinks he is above the law and thinks he can run slaves there is likely zero chance that he would tell the truth in court anyway.
Get proof.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-11-2019, 03:18 PM

If its that bad, they should quit.
Since they haven't, I guess it's not that bad.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
If you’re a contractor, and you’re making mistakes you should be fixing them on your own time. Not sure if the Asian guys are though.
None of these guys are contractors. As for myself this isn't about me, the customer hired our company to be here so I don't work for the company the foreman does if that makes sense.

I'll have to ask around and see what other people know about making guys work for free. I'm fairly certain if OH&S showed up here this shop would close lol.

Thanks for the responses so far guys.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Hey whatever they wanna do they can do it. I made this post mostly to answer a question I had for my own knowledge, I knew someone on AO would have the answer quicker than myself googling and reading legislation.

But also like I said these guys who may not understand exactly what is being told to them don't know any better.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:28 PM
Banned

I'd advise you find out bit more before reporting it.
I've worked at places where I put in 'unpaid hours'...but they also were very good at letting me have a long lunch or run personal errands on company time when we weren't busy.
Could be something like that.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Easy to say when you have a backup job or a wife with a good income. Hard to do when you have a family to feed at home.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I'd advise you find out bit more before reporting it.
I've worked at places where I put in 'unpaid hours'...but they also were very good at letting me have a long lunch or run personal errands on company time when we weren't busy.
Could be something like that.
I can almost guarantee that's not the case but I'll ask around. I won't be reporting it but I will tell whoever works for free to contact the labor board....
Old 07-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Easy to say when you have a backup job or a wife with a good income. Hard to do when you have a family to feed at home.
No kidding, I make the primary income in my home and that is why I am tip-toeing around this issue and it's not even my issue.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:44 PM

Could be a salaried arrangement or a service that takes fees. Go lightly. If you are there on somebody else’s behalf, they may feel the repercussions.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Flat rate shop? You get paid a set price and are responsible for your own mistakes. Learn to not them as much
Old 07-11-2019, 03:46 PM

I get paid to be at work from 7am-4pm. If I'm not getting paid I'm not working. I dont live to work, I work to live. Overtime here has to be pre-approved so theirs been a few times where I work OT for emergency's without pre-approval.. Its always been paid out for me if that changes me and the boss will have a talk.

Sounds pretty shady and illegal to me but I have no idea how your shop is running.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Could be a salaried arrangement or a service that takes fees. Go lightly. If you are there on somebody else’s behalf, they may feel the repercussions.
It's a CLAC shop, these welders aren't on salary LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
I get paid to be at work from 7am-4pm. If I'm not getting paid I'm not working. I dont live to work, I work to live. Overtime here has to be pre-approved so theirs been a few times where I work OT for emergency's without pre-approval.. Its always been paid out for me if that changes me and the boss will have a talk.

Sounds pretty shady and illegal to me but I have no idea how your shop is running.
CLAC shop, I am sure CLAC would hate to know how it's being ran.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Flat rate shop? You get paid a set price and are responsible for your own mistakes. Learn to not them as much
CLAC shop, not flat rate, not salary, not piece work. Trades here are all hourly.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:47 PM

That sucks. He knows the employees need the work
Old 07-11-2019, 05:10 PM

Need to go knocking on the unions door to resolve it. Fight the fight to correct it. That's all that can be done. Run that foreman outta there!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2019, 06:28 PM

I thought working for no pay was normal. At least that is the way it is for teachers. Supervision during lunch hours. Noon/after school/weekend sports, academic clubs....
Old 07-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I thought working for no pay was normal. At least that is the way it is for teachers. Supervision during lunch hours. Noon/after school/weekend sports, academic clubs....
They're paid by the hour?
Old 07-11-2019, 06:41 PM

I've worked jobs where CLAC membership was required. Not much good to say about them, and I'll leave it at that.

As far as free work, no they can't make you. That said, I've worked jobs with a two strike policy. Fail 2 x-rays and you are skidded. It's in the contract. No more job. So maybe it's (an illegal) way to let guys keep their jobs... Not defending anything, just saying some of the things I've seen. I'd rather work for free and fix something I screwed up, on my own time, rather than lose my job.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 07-11-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Teachers get like 8 weeks PAID vacation in the summer. They're not hurting for money that's for sure
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
They're paid by the hour?
I think he means the paid PD days they don't attend, unless they're in Banff. Or the whole class spent watching videos while he sleeps at his desk. Or the massive amount of paid sick days, to be used up skiing as much as possible....

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I've worked jobs where CLAC membership was required. Not much good to say about them, and I'll leave it at that.

As far as free work, no they can't make you. That said, I've worked jobs with a two strike policy. Fail 2 x-rays and you are skidded. It's in the contract. No more job. So maybe it's (an illegal) way to let guys keep their jobs... Not defending anything, just saying some of the things I've seen. I'd rather work for free and fix something I screwed up, on my own time, rather than lose my job.
Yeah these guys might just want to cling to their jobs and suck it up. I don't know, which is why I made the thread cause I always figured no one could make you work for free (which I've had confirmed here thanks to AO)

TransCanada just got a ton of work so if any welders are reading go that way.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:30 PM

I feel the love for teachers.... can’t give the current specifics regarding collective agreements but they are probably not too different from the good old days....Where teachers were paid based on instructional hours plus additional “assigned time” which essentially fell far short of the number of hours devoted to instruction related activities. There was no pay for extra-curricular, “clubs”, open houses, parent-teacher interviews, graduation activities...etc, etc. Teachers were essentially paid by the day and have never been paid for any holidays at Xmas, Easter, summer. Not paid for coming back to work a week before school starts in Sept. Paid days were 200 with nothing beyond that. Miss a day for exceptions not covered by agreement and they are docked 1/200th of their annual salary.
Teachers cannot collect EI during summer months because they choose to take their 10 month seasonal salary over 12 months.
Don’t know of any current data but in my day, most teachers worked in excess of 50 hrs a week.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 07-11-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:31 PM
Banned

I could send a note to a few guys at clac if you wanted someone to look into your work site.

I do lots of extra work on my own time for my company and it doesnt bother me one bit. Maybe their not being pressured and dont mind working a bit harder then other employees.