Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I didn’t have to.
Word on the street says you do
Old 06-26-2019, 08:18 AM

Old 06-26-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
My 21 yr old son has a GF who lives south of Spruce Grove. Coming home on the weekend at 1:30 am, the RC pulled him over at a red light in SG. Said his Tail lights were not working. Then proceeded to check his drivers licence and gave him a breathalyzer. Did advise him this was a new law and they have the right to ask for the test without cause. Drives an older Mazda 3 so you still have to turn on your headlights to see at night.

I'm fine with the breathalyzer check during the stop but his lights were working fine before, during and after. Clean record and not drinking so he was on his way pretty quick. He did nothing wrong but got stopped for being a young guy is my guess.
And that is one reason this law is unlikely to survive a charter challenge. It gives police the right to pull over any young guy for no reason ....... especially young guys who are not the right colour.

If it survives the present challenges, which I think it won't, I think you will see some very interesting statistics being gathered as to who the police actually pull over and who they don't.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:06 AM

[QUOTE=Jamie;3993345]Tell you what.. You give up your rights and keep your hands off of mine. This is a PATHETIC/STUPID/UNCONSTITUTIONAL/MORALLY WRONG procedure.

^^^ This 1000%.
I have zero sympathy for drink and driving and less for erosion of freedoms.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
More people die or are injured from excessive speed and distracted driving than impaired drivers. But many more people continue to drive fast and distracted. Why is the punishment so different for each?
Nailed it!
Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
And that is one reason this law is unlikely to survive a charter challenge. It gives police the right to pull over any young guy for no reason ....... especially young guys who are not the right colour.

If it survives the present challenges, which I think it won't, I think you will see some very interesting statistics being gathered as to who the police actually pull over and who they don't.
In this case, the young male was pulled over because he was driving at night without taillights. As I understand it, the PoPo still needs a reason to pull you over, but once you’re stopped they can request a breath test without cause.

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
In this case, the young male was pulled over because he was driving at night without taillights. As I understand it, the PoPo still needs a reason to pull you over, but once you’re stopped they can request a breath test without cause.
No, they don't need a reason to pull you over with the new legislation, that is one of the issues.

In the first charter challenge launched by the elderly lady, , the officer admits to pulling over and demanding a breath test from every customer who drove away from a liquor store in the morning.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Just to be clear, they were on and working Coming from an acreage south of Spruce Grove can be pretty dark without your lights on. It was a good teaching moment as he now knows you can be randomly stopped.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
No, they don't need a reason to pull you over with the new legislation, that is one of the issues.

In the first charter challenge launched by the elderly lady, , the officer admits to pulling over and demanding a breath test from every customer who drove away from a liquor store in the morning.
Wrong. You should read up on the law.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Great, cops will be right over to check every drawer in your house, go through all your electronics and do a anal probe on you.. JUST BECOUSE... But hey, if your not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about..............
Don't forget the new DNA sample we will have to provide as well, it's really going to help clearing up all the backlog of old cases involving *pick your crime*.....

But if it saves just one life, we shouldn't complain about an arbitrary imposition on our basic rights and freedoms.

Oh wait, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is already toothless and arbitrary. We don't have any right to warrantless search if we are gun owners, and property rights are not enshrined....basically anything you think you own you don't as it is.

George Orwell was a prophet before his time. He must have had a dream about Canada.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-26-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muller View Post
I have zero sympathy for drink and driving and less for erosion of freedoms.
Well that my friend is such a perfect example of an oxymoron that it could be used in an English text book. How do you expect them to tackle drunk driving if they're not allowed to pull people over?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
Well that my friend is such a perfect example of an oxymoron that it could be used in an English text book. How do you expect them to tackle drunk driving if they're not allowed to pull people over?
Comprehension is a great skill.
I’ve never said “they shouldn’t be allowed to pull you over”.
I believe “they” should be expected to form a reasonable suspicion before “they” breach your charter rights and curtail your freedom of movement to carry on “their” investigation.
Is that too much to ask?
Or should we all just lay down and agree the state knows best, do to us as you will...

Again, feel free to give up your rights, I’ll hang on to mine thank you.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Banned

It's really simple Folks, ZERO drinks if you are going to drive...how much more simple can that get?? If I've had 1 drink, I'm NOT driving even though I drive way better after a few
When I plan to go out for dinner downtown YEG, I hire a cab even if it's a $5 fare and TIP the driver $10 to make it worth it to him. All in all that's $30 in travel expenses, cheaper than the wine I'll purchase
Old 06-26-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
They are allowed to pull over at will, no reason needed.
On way home from a Oiler game last year my wife was pulled over twice for “random” alcohol checks on gateway blvd. each pull over lasted less than a minute as they were trying to pull over as many vehicles as they could on that span of road.
The officer explained it as “it’s basically a series of individual check stops, with no fixed location”
Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 AM

Angry A real case of drunk backyarding

"It won't happen" they said, "the police wouldn't do that" they said".
The useful idiots defending this draconian law should be made to cover the legal costs of innocent citizens that are charged. Meanwhile, members of our "legal system" happily bill innocent customers for their services.
Probably not the first case, nor the only case, but it has been completed.
https://calgarysun.com/opinion/colum...4-0a2e61a4f2e2

Excerpt from Brian Lilley's column:
Quote:
What some people, including the folks at Justice Canada, say can’t occur actually did happen to Lee Anne Lowrie.

The Justice Department is declaring it a myth that police can show up and demand that you provide a breath sample long after you stopped driving. In Lowrie’s case, she had parked her car just after 3:30 p.m. and was being asked to blow into a breathalyzer at 6 p.m. after a few drinks at a family gathering.
Another fine example of our police and legal system at work.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
"It won't happen" they said, "the police wouldn't do that" they said".
The useful idiots defending this draconian law should be made to cover the legal costs of innocent citizens that are charged. Meanwhile, members of our "legal system" happily bill innocent customers for their services.
Probably not the first case, nor the only case, but it has been completed.
https://calgarysun.com/opinion/colum...4-0a2e61a4f2e2

Excerpt from Brian Lilley's column:

Another fine example of our police and legal system at work.
So.. The real question that wasn't answered in the ad, where was she coming from before the party?

#2.. Does anybody know how much you'd have to drink to blow 0.08 after 2 hours of drinking? Honest question.. Obviously it varies by person, but there has to be some science.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
So.. The real question that wasn't answered in the ad, where was she coming from before the party?

#2.. Does anybody know how much you'd have to drink to blow 0.08 after 2 hours of drinking? Honest question.. Obviously it varies by person, but there has to be some science.
Too many variables. One beer will make a small woman blow over. A person can drink a lot in 3 hours.
Ok I see what you mean now... again, variables. Some people metabolate alcohol fast and some slow.
2 guys can drink the same thing all night and pass out. One wil wake up completely sober and the other can wake up pinned still.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Too many variables. One beer will make a small woman blow over. A person can drink a lot in 3 hours.
you have that right in 3 hours things can get crazy just not right for them to have this kind of power
Old 07-16-2019, 11:59 AM

When I was in high school, I remember there being formulas for how much you can drink and what it would put you blood alcohol at.
I wonder if that's still in the curriculum?
Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 PM

In Aus, to remain under .05 for an average sized man the rule was 2 "standard" drinks in the first hour and 1 standard drink each hour afterwards. Alcohol drinks all have the quantity of standard drinks printed on the container (I think a 5% beer can was 1.4 standard drinks to give an idea of what a "standard" drink equates to)
Not an exact science and to be used as a guideline only, obviously not drinking at all is safest if you're going to drive
Old 07-17-2019, 06:01 PM

When the 'Check-stop Program' was first introduced, the courts acknowledged that it was an infringement on Canadian's rights, to be pulled over and questioned, without cause - however, it was thought that Canadians would overlook this infringement for the 'greater good' - getting drunk drivers off the road. Stopping people at random had to be done under a designated 'Check Stop', permitted only in a defined location and for a specific period.
I recall a number of years ago, police being severely reprimanded for abusing the purpose of Check-Stops, when they used one to stop everyone attending a notorious motorcycle club rally, and stating publicly that they did so to 'gather intelligence on who was riding with who'. No matter how beneficial that intelligence gathering may have been, that was not the purpose for which Canadians have permitted the infringement of their rights in approving the Check Stop program. Judges, watchdogs, and the public agreed.
This new legislation enabling police to pull over and detain anyone, anywhere, and at any time is doing an end-run around our rights - without public debate, and it seems without judges or politicians looking out for our rights and freedoms. It used to be that Canada was a country where you could just get in your car and drive from one end to the other, and if you followed all laws, you could not be stopped, questioned, required to show papers, or detained. -That's no longer the case. IMO far too much is left up to the discretion of police officers.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:24 AM

Could not agree more . The powers too be will push and abuse till we bust . It has happend over and over again throughout history .
Old 07-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.

If you apply "liberal logic" or "LL"to the above statistics, then 72% of deaths are caused by people who are not drinking. "LL" shows that people should be required to drink before driving.

No. I am am not in favour of drinking and driving just showing how statistics can be misinterpreted.
I’ll bet these numbers are a lot higher for distracted driving. I think if your caught for distracted driving you should lose your license for 5 yrs.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
It's really simple Folks, ZERO drinks if you are going to drive...how much more simple can that get??
This ^^^^^

Leave your car at home son don't take your car to town
Old 07-20-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
This ^^^^^

Leave your car at home son don't take your car to town
x2

Take the cannoli, leave the car.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:56 AM

double post

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:48 PM

^^^ This 1000%.
I have zero sympathy for drink and driving and less for erosion of freedoms.[/QUOTE]

Your lack of understanding about your rights is the reason the Nazi's and The Bolshevik's got elected. You sir, are clearly an idiot. And I personally having lost people to D&D know what is involved, but I still place our rights above that.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:02 PM

[/QUOTE]

Your lack of understanding about your rights is the reason the Nazi's and The Bolshevik's got elected. You sir, are clearly an idiot. [/QUOTE]

Must our disagreements always devolve into this?
Old 07-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Banned

No one to blame but each person behind the wheel that has before, does now, and continues to drive impaired or distracted.

It is a well known fact by everyone, that driving impaired or distracted can have devastating consequences.

And in 2019 this is still a great concern.

Why?

Why is this such a problem when everyone knows how bad it can be?

You can’t blame the government for responding with laws and sanctions on the people, when the people can’t conduct themselves appropriately.

Some see this a deterioration of your rights.

I see it as protecting my rights.

The rights I have to get in my vehicle and go from point A to B, without the worry that the idiot beside me can be impaired or distracted and thus causing an accident and permanently changing my life or ending it.

That’s the freedom I want.
Protection from those who continue to do what they want, regardless of the consequences of their actions.

Driving is a privilege, not a right.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
No one to blame but each person behind the wheel that has before, does now, and continues to drive impaired or distracted.

It is a well known fact by everyone, that driving impaired or distracted can have devastating consequences.

And in 2019 this is still a great concern.

Why?

Why is this such a problem when everyone knows how bad it can be?

You can’t blame the government for responding with laws and sanctions on the people, when the people can’t conduct themselves appropriately.

Some see this a deterioration of your rights.

I see it as protecting my rights.

The rights I have to get in my vehicle and go from point A to B, without the worry that the idiot beside me can be impaired or distracted and thus causing an accident and permanently changing my life or ending it.

That’s the freedom I want.
Protection from those who continue to do what they want, regardless of the consequences of their actions.

Driving is a privilege, not a right.
I don't have a huge issue with being asked to blow, what I do have the issue with is being punished with no right to a trial. When we lose the right to a trial, and are pronounced guilty by a police officer, rather than a judge, the legal system is badly broken.