Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-28-2019, 07:34 PM

Default Hides still good

A good check today 6..I'm impressed that the hides are still good this late considering the warm winter

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2019, 07:46 PM
Banned

Congrats, nice haul! I’m curious to know how many were males. Up this way they seem to be getting ready for breeding season and are moving around a lot more than they have been.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:17 PM

4 big males Dave

Old 01-28-2019, 08:23 PM
Banned

bet they made you huff and blow! those are steep hills.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:07 PM

Very nice one-day haul ...and yes, they appear to have great fur.
I closed down all my snares on the weekend - the winter hair was very much gone on anything I caught in the last week and half plus they've been avoiding my bait stations.

There is one...furthest from where you are sitting that appears to have thinned out on the hips
Old 01-28-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
Very nice one-day haul ...and yes, they appear to have great fur.
I closed down all my snares on the weekend - the winter hair was very much gone on anything I caught in the last week and half plus they've been avoiding my bait stations.

There is one...furthest from where you are sitting that appears to have thinned out on the hips
Maybe a touch but I think it was wet from the ride up the hill in the sled with 2 others on top of him .. I'll likely pull mine in a week or so . None of these was caught within 80 yds of a bait .. they circle but havent gone in .
Old 01-28-2019, 11:46 PM

Great day in the field

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-29-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
bet they made you huff and blow! those are steep hills.
I bet ...thats like 3 trips for 6 yotes ..i dont think he can put more than 2 on that lil sled
Old 01-29-2019, 06:07 AM

You're snaring in wide open / no trees countryside
That takes special skill and experience.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:34 AM

Great pic!.
You do any calling?
Looks like a great area to do so.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
I bet ...thats like 3 trips for 6 yotes ..i dont think he can put more than 2 on that lil sled
HAHAHA.. it will fit 5 stacked up but I cant pull it !! you are right with the 2 part it was 3 trips , I cant do the 4 in one anymore .. it's a nice problem to have
Old 01-29-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
You're snaring in wide open / no trees countryside
That takes special skill and experience.
Some brush in spots and thats where 75% of the snares are , but we do get lucky in a few open areas .
Old 01-29-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
Great pic!.
You do any calling?
Looks like a great area to do so.
Up until 4 years ago thats all I did was call , then got into the snaring game with help from folks like Marty . We've only called a couple times this year and I do miss it but this is so much more successful . In fact thats how we picked our bait spots , they were our most successful calling areas .
Old 01-29-2019, 10:47 AM

Default hit and miss

Been hit and miss for me. Still catching some nice coyotes but one spot seems worse than the others, I've caught some real rough coyotes already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rub coyote.jpg (117.3 KB, 177 views)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose slayer10 View Post
Been hit and miss for me. Still catching some nice coyotes but one spot seems worse than the others, I've caught some real rough coyotes already.
Your photo is a perfect example of why I had to sadly quit for the season
Its very difficult to quit - almost like an addiction.
I've made some written notes that will be a reminder of DO's and DON'T's for next season. Will be putting away tools and equipment over the next week.
Still have a couple frozen skins to finish processing.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:43 PM

Excellent catch. With sparse bush and the draws in the area you would probably do good just with blind sets minus the bait.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-29-2019, 08:02 PM

Thanx

And that is exactly where we have been catching them , away from the bait ..I've rebaited a couple times but not from coyotes eating it ,mostly birds . We have 5 bait sites and use roadkill deer for bait with a permit from the CO. To start the season he gave us 3 deer that he had confiscated and we set them out Dec 1 when we started..THEY REMAIN UNTOUCHED TO THIS DAY ALMOST 2 MONTH LATER !!! Dont know what it is about them ,too much human scent ?? But nothing wants them not even the birds. So other deer were used as well as gutpiles I collected during deer season, that has probably been the best. Like everyone else , I know the end is near and hate to quit .

Old 01-29-2019, 08:09 PM

I did not know there fur goes down hill, with it still being winter I thought they would have a good coat till end of Feb, learn something new every day
Old 01-29-2019, 10:13 PM

That's a nice looking haul!! Great job! I can always try to leave you a few more gut piles next year. ;-)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbyheart View Post
That's a nice looking haul!! Great job! I can always try to leave you a few more gut piles next year. ;-)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBOY View Post
I did not know there fur goes down hill, with it still being winter I thought they would have a good coat till end of Feb, learn something new every day
Kinda like you wearing a winter coat evry day , not only does it get hot in warm weather and you wish you could shed it , they will rub and lose hair .. they also just plain wear out especially if the critter is in brushy conditions . These open country coyotes have very little brush to travel thru. . At least that s my thoughts
Old 01-30-2019, 11:03 PM

H380 I also was given a few seized carcasses from F&W that nothing touched. I think they had been in the freezer for to long and were dried out or freezer burnt. Nothing touched them till spring when the bugs finally got rid of them. I wouldn’t have wanted to be the hunter who was found innocent and had it returned to him in that condition.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:05 AM
Banned

Still looking pretty good up here. The guard hair is starting to get a little short along the sides on some but nothing rubbed.

I’m willing to bet that the reason that nothing would touch those carcasses is that they were contaminated with the smell of something. All that it takes is throwing them in the back of a truck for a day with a jerry can of chainsaw fuel. Been there, done that.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
H380 I also was given a few seized carcasses from F&W that nothing touched. I think they had been in the freezer for to long and were dried out or freezer burnt. Nothing touched them till spring when the bugs finally got rid of them. I wouldn’t have wanted to be the hunter who was found innocent and had it returned to him in that condition.
Glad to hear that some one else has had the same experience with them . They will eventually get disposed of , when the bears come out here shortly Im sure they will be pleased .
Old 02-02-2019, 08:59 PM

Sorry Dave but that’s not the answer. Bait in my truck does not sit on the bed of the truck but on a raised platform. The F&W carcass was with a couple others that I had picked up off the road. These other carcasses we’re devoured by coyotes. No problem with smell. Have talked to other trappers who have tried bait donated from F&W with same results. Seized carcasses are stored in a walk in freeze (unwrapped) until the case has been settled. I spent a lot of years working in the meat industry and have come across freezer burnt meat due to poor wrapping. The dogs won’t even eat it in this condition.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:47 AM

Same with these Mike , I haul my bait and fur on a pallet to keep them off the truck bed . Wish this cold weather had been here a month ago , I'm having trouble keeping the eagles at bay ... they wont even touch these carcasses
Old 02-03-2019, 08:53 AM
Banned

my opinion is that they're not touching some of the baits because the weather has been so warm, hunting has been so easy, they're just not hungry enough to eat scraps. i have a rancher friend who set a dead cow out for me and it laid there for almost two months before they started eating her. they never were really enthusiastic, but have slowly worked on her.

they like a fresh mouse way more than an old cow/deer.

one of my baits is a road killed deer that's been laying in a bush for two months and they still haven't tasted it......even the birds haven't.

this winter has been an anomaly. never seen baits left like this before.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:47 AM

I have been having all kinds of funny issues with bait as well this year. I threw out scraps from 2 different deer and the only hit one of them. I threw 2 700 lb calves and the one that I cut the skin back they hit like a ton of bricks and the other is still sitting there. Had another bait with a roadkill deer that was only feeding the birds then I put 3 barrels of pig scraps out and the bait was licked clean (including the deer) the next check and I had 6 dogs in snares.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-03-2019, 08:47 PM

Im almost out of bait at my 2 remaining sites and it cost me a coyote today .. He was fresh caught in a snare after it quit snowing about 11 and by the time I checked at 3 the birds had opened him up beyond salvage .2 others that were caught before the snow and were covered up were untouched Only snaring til the end of the week but if I dont have something for the birds to eat I will likely donate all my catches to them . Im not going to start feeding coyote carcasses to the birds because in my mind I feel it will only train them to eat fresh dogs .. it may work for some folks but I'm not gonna start and risk it . Coyotes have only cleaned out the bait at one site once this year , the rest of the time it has been eagles ravens and magpies . Caught more dogs this year than ever before but most are not real close to the bait .
Old 02-10-2019, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Same with these Mike , I haul my bait and fur on a pallet to keep them off the truck bed . Wish this cold weather had been here a month ago , I'm having trouble keeping the eagles at bay ... they wont even touch these carcasses
I have another theory. I have a roadkill out that hasn’t been touched as well. I had it in the back of my truck for a few days and i’m Thinking that perhaps the smell of exhaust is deterring the birds and coyotes from eating it. Just a thought.