Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2024, 08:53 AM

Default Mexico not as cheap as it once was.

My wife and I love traveling and we love Mexico.
We just spend a week in San Jose del Cabo, we rented an apartment for the week and a car.
We love doing our own thing where no tour busses go, so that means small restaurants or taco stands.
Even in a small town or city a Margarita is $20.00, a Pacifico beer $4.00
Even food at a mediocre restaurant expect to pay on average $60-80.00 Canadian fo 2 people.
Even a few years ago I remember we paid like $2.50 cnd fo a beer.

Too bad everything has to be so expensive!
Old 03-16-2024, 09:23 AM

A friend just got back from 2 weeks in Puerto Aventuras. Caribbean side. Stayed in a hotel that he has been in before. Much pricier!! Pretty much the same story for beer, anywhere from $4 to $5 Canadian. Margaritas $6 to $10?? Meals gone the same way. This guy is fairly high end, never really whines about price and always on the go. Mama and I decided we weren't willing to pay price for our annual 2 weeks. Sure do miss the sun and sand!!!

What was it Yogi Bera said? '"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Old 03-16-2024, 10:11 AM

We just got back from 2 weeks in Bucerias and same thing. Expect to pay what you would pay here in Canada for booze and food. Heck even the street food is expensive now comparatively speaking!
Old 03-16-2024, 11:41 AM

Peso are strong, probably will get stronger as Mexico has surpassed Canada as trading partners of the US.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby View Post
We just got back from 2 weeks in Bucerias and same thing. Expect to pay what you would pay here in Canada for booze and food. Heck even the street food is expensive now comparatively speaking!
I did a week in Lo De Marcos, and while beer and food has gone up, it's still not bad.

Pacifico between 30 and 40 pesos each. 300 pesos would easily feed you a meal and buy a couple drinks.
Old 03-16-2024, 04:10 PM

Doesn't matter where you go, things have changed since Covid, car rental about doubled.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-17-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
I did a week in Lo De Marcos, and while beer and food has gone up, it's still not bad.

Pacifico between 30 and 40 pesos each. 300 pesos would easily feed you a meal and buy a couple drinks.
So $25 Cdn for a meal and 2 drinks.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-17-2024, 08:15 AM

Just got back from Bucerias, Mexico last night, 3 month's. It is not getting cheaper that's for sure! But Goto love it!
Old 03-17-2024, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Peso are strong, probably will get stronger as Mexico has surpassed Canada as trading partners of the US.
This is something that people need to pay attention to more than the fact their vacation is costing more

When it comes to world economics and trade Canada has been on the decline and our dollar sucks because of it. Other countries are increasing trade well Canada has decreased the number of trade agreements

Our increased cost in everything goes deeper than just the carbon tax and poor government spending most focus on
Old 03-17-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
This is something that people need to pay attention to more than the fact their vacation is costing more

When it comes to world economics and trade Canada has been on the decline and our dollar sucks because of it. Other countries are increasing trade well Canada has decreased the number of trade agreements

Our increased cost in everything goes deeper than just the carbon tax and poor government spending most focus on
It’s exactly the outcome lieberals want. It’s going to take a very long time for our dollar to recover, if it ever does.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:32 AM

Just one more reason to not travel to Mexico... but it seems the theme is inflation is world wide, not just Canada. Something to keep in mind when trying to blame one government or person for higher costs, after all Canada is doing better than most. South America, North America, Europe....inflation is everywhere.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Just one more reason to not travel to Mexico... but it seems the theme is inflation is world wide, not just Canada. Something to keep in mind when trying to blame one government or person for higher costs, after all Canada is doing better than most. South America, North America, Europe....inflation is everywhere.
I’m sure paying EVEN MORE of trudud’s carbon tax will help.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
I’m sure paying EVEN MORE of trudud’s carbon tax will help.
And the large decline in trade agreements since the liberals have been in control. Also the amount of possible agreements the liberals back out of
Old 03-17-2024, 03:46 PM

To say 'Mexico is not as cheap as it once was' is a pretty broad statement. If a person is renting a B&B/house, renting a car and going out to eat at restaurants they yes, I would assume that is true. I've never done it.

We have been going to Cancun every year since our daughter got married there in 2013. Had she not decided on a destination wedding, then lump me in the bunch that thinks Mexico is too dangerous, etc. and I probably would never have been there but I digress.

We always stay at a top notch all inclusive, always 8 nights, always the same week in February. Not including flights, the cost at first was around $4000, then a lot of years at around 3200 to 3400. 2022 was 3600. 2023 was 3340. And 2024 was $2730! The cheapest ever. I attribute the lower cost this year to reserving at the right time. We booked it right around July 1.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:57 PM

We just got back from Puerto Vallarta/ Bucerias from an all inclusive. It was a little more than last year but not wild.
We paid about $3,600 for two flights and everything from Calgary for 7 nights.

Definitely noticed the difference in the exchange on any shopping trip or side venture, prices very similar to home.

The peso is nearly twice as strong as it was a while ago.

Lots of Mexicans in the resort on holidays, they are definitely growing their economic power.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Lots of Mexicans in the resort on holidays, they are definitely growing their economic power.
We noticed this too as we just returned from a week at an all inc in Mazatlan.
We weren't going to go to Mexico this year because the prices seemed too high but scored a last minute deal for 1400$ each

I really don't mind paying for a good quality vacation, but the flights there and back are almost too much for me to take - shoehorn you into a seat with some ****er kicking you in the back for 4-6 hrs is the deal breaker for me.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:38 AM

Well, it you all stopped going to Mexico for holidays, the price will come down.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-18-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Well, it you all stopped going to Mexico for holidays, the price will come down.
27-28 degrees, warm sunshine , over snow and -10 that's on the way I know which one I will pick.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
27-28 degrees, warm sunshine , over snow and -10 that's on the way I know which one I will pick.
Lots of places like that. Safer too. Cheaper too. Just a longer plane ride.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:21 PM

I’ve been down there 5 times. Twice to the Mayan, twice to Purerto Vallarta and once to Cabo. Cabo wins hands down….

With that said, I’ve done my time down there and choose not to anymore. At the end of the day it’s a corrupt third world country that I’m rather tired of.

My buddy was there a couple months back.. He just had an experience like my ex brother in law once did. Be careful if you rent a vehicle down there. You will be a prime candidate for extortion from the local federales…

Old 03-18-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I’ve been down there 5 times. Twice to the Mayan, twice to Purerto Vallarta and once to Cabo. Cabo wins hands down….

With that said, I’ve done my time down there and choose not to anymore. At the end of the day it’s a corrupt third world country that I’m rather tired of.

My buddy was there last week. He just had an experience like my ex brother in law once did. Be careful if you rent a vehicle down there. You will be a prime candidate for extortion from the local federales…

Sounds just like Canada.

BW
Old 03-18-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Sounds just like Canada.

BW
Ha!!
Old 03-18-2024, 12:35 PM

Default well

Gaza has "low" rentals.........nothing is standing.Just as safe.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:52 PM

No kidding! Mexico for me too! Missed a lot of weather this year too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Old 03-18-2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Gaza has "low" rentals.........nothing is standing.Just as safe.
Lol that’s funny but actually before the war Gaza had a very beautiful promenade by the sea and very good hotels with restaurants etc…. You should search YouTube for some “promotional”videos …..
Old 03-19-2024, 06:04 AM

We just got back from 10 days in Playa & Cozumel - AirBnB in both places.

Accommodations are still on the cheap side, but food & drinks are a lot more than they used to be. I'd say on average it's 70-80% of what you pay here - so the days of 'half price' are long gone in Mexico (for tourists anyways)

The tipping culture there has gotten out of control as well.

There are still lots of warm places in the world that are cheaper than Mexico, but like has been said, you just have to fly longer.

When we have the time for a longer trip, SE Asia is always our #1 pick, even though it's slowly gotten more expensive over the years. Still cheaper than Mexico, WAY nicer accommodations for your money, much better service (despite a culture that doesn't expect tips), and nicer beaches. The only downside is that the flighs suck!
Old 03-20-2024, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
We just got back from Puerto Vallarta/ Bucerias from an all inclusive. It was a little more than last year but not wild.
We paid about $3,600 for two flights and everything from Calgary for 7 nights.

Definitely noticed the difference in the exchange on any shopping trip or side venture, prices very similar to home.

The peso is nearly twice as strong as it was a while ago.

We were there around valentines day. I watch the exchange rate & buy way before the trip when Pesos are down.We still got deals on stuff. some had gone up but what hasnt? Been a while since last trip so expected it. Went to the states for 5 days last july & talking to friends i will take p.v. any time thank you.U.s has gone crazy for prices . A cab in P.V costs us $7 almost everywhere we go. Have been to the same resort 6 or 7 times so you learn all the tricks.Paid $270 canadian for four hours of fishing & brought back 20lbs of bonnito & dorado!Left a bunch there as well.To each their own. IMO Mexico is still by far the best bang for a buck.

Orv.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:22 AM

The main reason why Mexico has always been popular has been price. Whether it be accommodations, food, drink etc. If the price is increasing, I just don't understand the appeal. As others have mentioned there are so many better places. Just have to fly an extra hour or two.

I'll never forget when we spent a week on St Maarten and then a week on Anguilla. We then had a 2 night, almost 3 full day layover in Cancun on the way home. After spending 2 weeks in the heart of the Caribbean.....Mexico was such a **** hole.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
The main reason why Mexico has always been popular has been price. Whether it be accommodations, food, drink etc. If the price is increasing, I just don't understand the appeal. As others have mentioned there are so many better places. Just have to fly an extra hour or two.

I'll never forget when we spent a week on St Maarten and then a week on Anguilla. We then had a 2 night, almost 3 full day layover in Cancun on the way home. After spending 2 weeks in the heart of the Caribbean.....Mexico was such a **** hole.
Haha! Isn’t that a truth! We have been going to St.Maarten for 20 years now and never looked back at Mexico, Dominican or other banana republics! Never spent more than a few hours on Anguilla, just during our boat tours but for the past 10 years we were planning on going there for a few day but never did, lol! The moment we hit the st.marten beaches tha sand gravity takes over…
Old 03-21-2024, 11:49 AM

We've spent a week or more on at least 10 Caribbean islands with a VRBO, car rental etc with the family. Just did 11 nights on Curacao over this past Xmas/New Years. Our goal is never stay on the same island twice, no matter how amazing. We want to visit them all.

Anguilla is amazing. Most people have never been fortunate enough to spend time on beaches so beautiful. It is what I would describe as a true Caribbean island. Low population, bright colors, friendly locals, no big buildings, tiny beach side restaurants serving food that is off the charts, world class beaches/water and most importantly ....no cruise ports. Its not Americanized or touristy in the slightest.

KGB, if you spend lots of time on St Maarten. Take the ferry across to Anguilla and spend at least 3 or 4 days.